If I work remotely for a foreign company, do they need to deduct Taiwan taxes from my salary, or can I pay the tax on my own?

Yet this is also the place where people defend their landlords not paying their taxes and chastise those that try and claim the rental tax credit they are entitled to.

LOL, white privilege much?!

I’m sure local businessmen are totally honest with every dollar and asset they have offshore. They can afford good lawyers, I can’t, so I work with what I have.

Does not apply to foreign earned salary…this is for AMT for other income sources.

This doesn’t mean the problem goes away, it just means they didn’t care to put up with it any longer. The lovely people at the tax office counter don’t care if you choose to not follow their guidance, but the larger Tax authority will.

1 Like

Highly debatable.

If you’re working at an office in Taipei, employed by a company in Taiwan, you can’t use this option. The tax office gives an example of a Japanese businessman sent to run the Taiwan branch of his company’s office. However, this is reliant on a nexus to Taiwan.

Even if you don’t want to go this route, the other option, which doesn’t have the same grey area/level of debate attached to it is just set up a corp to receive your salary than pay yourself dividends from that.

If you file in Taiwan and use your US tax return that shows income as salary, that will be factored and taxed accordingly and the “exemption” you cite doesn’t apply.

You can continue to debate it with someone if you want though.

Then do not do this. I’ve never been asked for tax documentation from other jurisdictions when filing.

Ask your lawyer before proceeding.

In the event that you are asked for documentation to back it up, will you be able to provide (non-forged, non-altered) documentation that proves you are correct?

Hi there, I am in the situation that you were in. Did you ever find out the answer? How did the convo with your HR go? I am hoping to work remotely in taiwan as well.

1 Like