If Ma is allowed to run for a 3rd term, can he win in 2016?

if Ma is allowed to run for a 3rd term, can he win in 2016?
(purely hypothetical, of course… but I was just wondering)

[quote=“FurTrader”]if Ma is allowed to run for a 3rd term, can he win in 2016?
(purely hypothetical, of course… but I was just wondering)[/quote]

Ma is smart, handsome, well-bred and well-connected, but it would take the iron balls of a Chiang Kai-Chek to take a third term, and get away with it.

Maybe Obama can do it too? We can have tyrants over-riding the democratic constitutions everywhere, and all at once.

But both Obama and Ma are handsome, smart, well-bred and well-connected, so nothing like that will happen in 2016.

We, the people will ensure that because we have the power.

Welcome to the Democratic Republic of the Internet, where trolls are lolled and keel hauled.

Ma is less popular here than genital warts. What do you think?

No way, he isn’t a strong leader.

No.

“馬總統滿意度小幅回升至16%,但不滿意度高達67%” (President Ma’s approval rating saw a slight recovery up to 16%, but it stood against a disapproval rating of 67%.) – May this year

http://www.storm.mg/article/49670

Criticisms of Ma Ying-jeou (Wikipedia)

Asking “if Ma could serve a third term” is like asking if the ghost of Chiang Kai-Shek can take back power. It’s impossible and pointless to debate.

He’d be crushed.

Maybe Tsai 67%, Ma 33%.

While people here are unambiguously sick of this guy, I wouldn’t write him off if such a scenario were possible. Ma has always been a formidable campaigner, far better than his administration skills (such as they are). I still vividly remember him taking apart Tsai Ying-wen during the presidential debates. During his electoral career, I believe he never lost an election.

Guy

Remember we thought the same about his second term. he will win again and again. heck, I think Hung may even win. remember it is not the people who vote that count. And anyways not everyone can vote.

No need for such cynicism. Not even the power and money of the Kmt could propel Sean Lien to power. They are not omnipotent.

You were saying this all last year, too.

You were saying this all last year, too.[/quote]

Well, even a broken clock and all that jazz. They can’t let it happen again.

You were saying this all last year, too.[/quote]

Well, even a broken clock and all that jazz. They can’t let it happen again.[/quote]

Wait…Who is the broken clock in this analogy? Everyone but you?

The people who vote in Taiwan count. Taiwan has one of the most open election processes I’ve ever witnessed.

My beef with the electoral process is in its faulty household registry system, where people cannot participate actively in local elections through voting because their registration us not tied up with where they live but an inherent tangle of inherited concepts. Quite a bit iscleft out by lack of registration or inability to travel to voting location, due to work mostly.

We also have the issue of tradirional vote buying and bullying as accepted, not rejected nor penaluzed, in certain areas.

In summary, while good, the system is still vulnerable and prone to systemic faults.

[quote=“Icon”]My beef with the electoral process is in its faulty household registry system, where people cannot participate actively in local elections through voting because their registration us not tied up with where they live but an inherent tangle of inherited concepts. Quite a bit iscleft out by lack of registration or inability to travel to voting location, due to work mostly.

We also have the issue of tradirional vote buying and bullying as accepted, not rejected nor penaluzed, in certain areas.

In summary, while good, the system is still vulnerable and prone to systemic faults.[/quote]

Those are all certainly issues that can and should be addressed, of course, but they seem to be worrying only towards the smaller local elections. Certainly not something that would have a significant influence on the presidential elections.

[quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote=“Icon”]My beef with the electoral process is in its faulty household registry system, where people cannot participate actively in local elections through voting because their registration us not tied up with where they live but an inherent tangle of inherited concepts. Quite a bit iscleft out by lack of registration or inability to travel to voting location, due to work mostly.

In summary, while good, the system is still vulnerable and prone to systemic faults.[/quote]

Those are all certainly issues that can and should be addressed, of course, but they seem to be worrying only towards the smaller local elections. Certainly not something that would have a significant influence on the presidential elections.[/quote]

True and when you look at the impressively high voter rate for elections, it’s hard to make a strong case that the system is not working well.

Of the people that are registered, that is. But is everyone with thw right to vote registered? And those who vote, how free are they to do so? Vote secrecy is also an issue.

I’d need to look at the numbers, but potentially issues I can see:
[ul]1: Not being able to make it home to vote (especially if you live on the east coast) for those who have moved to bigger cities[/ul]
[ul]2: Voting for the legislator who represents your hometown, not your current address[/ul]
[ul]3: Failing to give due scrutiny to mayors/councilors because you voted for them 4 years ago and mom and dad say they’re doing a good job, so just go ahead and vote for them again[/ul]
[ul]4: Misleading population numbers. I bet there are more than 7 million people in Greater Taipei, but the official number is based on the households actually registered there.[/ul]

Again, these are just potential problems. And only #1 is relevant when electing president.

There’s no separate voter registration in Taiwan. Your household registration is effectively your voter registration.

According to this site almost the entire voting age population is registered.

idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?CountryCode=TW#