If money wasn't an issue, where would you go and what would you do?

I’m curious to know where Taiwan’s wealthy hang out in Taiwan, anyone have any ideas? I’m talking about top of the line resturants, hotels, spas, coffee shops, tea houses, clubs, other entertainment venues, etc. Some answers might be obvious and others may not.

Any ideas?

Keep anwers to Taiwan only! :mrgreen:

[quote=“JeffG”]I’m curious to know where Taiwan’s wealthy hang out in Taiwan, anyone have any ideas? I’m talking about top of the line resturants, hotels, spas, coffee shops, tea houses, clubs, other entertainment venues, etc. Some answers might be obvious and others may not.

Any ideas?

Keep anwers to Taiwan only! :mrgreen:[/quote]

I know there are a lot of private clubs (of the non-hanky panky type) that you have to be a member to get into. They have restaurants, spas, meeting/entertaining rooms, gyms, etc. inside. I had the fortune of being invited to the club at the top of the Regent Hotel for lunch once, otherwise I wouldn’t have known it was there.

One of my uncles was the CEO of Johnson & Johnson Taiwan (he got transferred to Beijing later), he lives in townhouse outside Taipei (in Xizhi), had a country club membership in Yangming Mt (we got invited there once a while through his membership) as well as golf course in Tamshui, he normally dines at restaurants not on the street, but through the roads into the hills, he knows all the good eataries in the middle of nowhere.

He never took public transportation, I guess this is as posh as you can get in Taiwan. He now enjoys the similar life style in Beijing

Oh, man!!! One day, eh! No, not those “one day” dreams, make it happen. I am looking for ways to enjoy that kind of lifestyle.

If money wasn’t an object, I would convince NASA to lend me a space shuttle. I would then connect it to the time-relay-slave device on the TARDIS and therefore travel back in time to point 60 years before the Daleks evolved. I would help them evolve into a less agressive species and therefore not destroy the planet Earth.

Richardm…are you Harry Turtledove in real life?

Ah-Hem, I think I did say in Taiwan Richardm… Though your post was funny.

So far all I see are places where you have to be a member to go. What about places that don’t require a membership?

I am certainly not rich, but occasionally I’d like to think I am and go somewhere nice.

Jeff,

Ever been to Lawry’s at the top of the Living Mall (Core Pacific City) on BaDe? I think you’ll like it there. Besides their famous roast beef, you’ll likely see local celebs dining at the place.

Yeah, like Maoman. :laughing: (Actually, I can only afford to go there once every few months. But that is the favourite spot when me and the missus have some celebrating to do.) We once saw Jiang Xiaoyan there, the talk show host from “Swallow Time”. She was wearing jeans, plastic flip-flops, and her hair was a fright. So much for the glamour world of Taiwan’s celebs. :unamused: Actually, back in the day, I used to hang with a fairly hip crowd (for Taiwan) from time to time, especially with the VJ set in the past (Back in the days of David Wu, Rick Tan, Stacy and Angela), and I have to say, lifestyles of the rich and famous ain’t anything like North America. It’s a fairly small island to be famous in. The rich here don’t have particularly enviable lives either. I’ve eaten at the Banker’s Club, The Pacific Club, and the restaurant at the top of the World Trade Centre. Bunch of boring people that know squat about anything outside their own area of business. You’re better off hanging out with foreigners from a diverse group of countries. Local rich people have all the depth of a platinum credit card.

I would be more interested to know in what kind of circles guys like Jiang Jingguo’s grandson hang out. He’s probably the closest thing Taiwan has to an aristocracy. I know he got his university education in the states, but I imagine he’s fairly at home in Taiwan, too. I saw him in a recent Next magazine photo - he’s definitely one of the most handsome Chinese men I’ve ever seen. If I were a woman (or a friend of Dorothy’s), I’d be all over that…

Jiang Jingguo’s grandson - Jiang Youbo - is a designer.
He designs T-shirts that are for sale at exorbitant prices in the basement at the Dunhua Eslite. Whether his designs are really that good, or it’s all because of his surname, I don’t know. I believe he’s married to some model or soap opera actress or something.

I don’t know, but I imagine him some kind of rich, spoilt playboy type … driving a Porsche and hanging out at Room 18.

I’ve observed that in Taiwan, “famous” does not automatically mean “rich”, as it often does in North America. It’s a lot easier to become famous in Taiwan, simply because you are competing against a pool of 23 million people as opposed to 300 million in North America.

Having a few acquaintences in the Taiwan entertainment industry, from what I’ve observed, famous entertainers don’t always make bank, at least not in the sense that we think of from North American standards.