If Musk visits Taiwan with quarantine exemption, fair to us living here?

特斯拉高層擬來台 檢疫規定可能放寬 | 財經焦點 | 產經 | 聯合新聞網 (udn.com)

Seems maybe Mr. Elon Musk may (maybe not confirmed) visit Taiwan, is it fair he gets out of the 14 day lock up? I am not so sure about this, if your rich or powerful is this an benefit or use of that power.

3 Likes

Idk If he will come. He’s already on shaky grounds with China with Tesla recently.

2 Likes

They may use the same bubble system as with the US officials a few months back, no biggie.

But him coming… mmmm. Bo ko ling ah!

Isn’t there an official exemption for people coming here for business purposes? 5 day abbreviated quarantine or something?

It makes absolutely buggerall sense from an epidemiological perspective, but if he’s following the rules then he’s not really getting any special treatment.

What problem is this?

Is he vaccinated?

If so, and comes in on a private jet, shouldn’t be a problem.

If he’s vaccinated, I’m not sure if it matters how he comes here.

Not too sure if it still is. But US have not been on that list anyway. Was quite a short list New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Korea, HK, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and a few more.

If US, UK, Brazil and India was on that list I would agree with you.

He can still spread the virus.

1 Like

You know how China is. Anything to do with Taiwan upsets them, especially lately. He may not want that right now with everything going on with Tesla there.

If you’re rubbing elbows with him, sure. The rest of us? No problem.

There are quite a few exemptions and qualifiers to quarantine these days, depending on your reason for visiting. It’s less to do with ‘being fair’ and more to do with maintaining our economy/polity in the face of numerous challenges. Person to person contact is still quite important for big business… and chips are BIG business. He should be granted a qualified & monitored exemption, if he comes.

If it’s your neighbour rubbing elbow with Musk? Still no problem when you are rubbing your neighbour next day in the elevator?

According to Elon Musk rumored to be planning Taiwan trip amid global chip shortage

quarantine-free business travel to Taiwan is available only to business people with a meaningful role in a significant investment project, and their stay cannot exceed three days.

Last month, Hewlett Packard President and CEO Enrique Lores wrapped out a one-day trip to Taiwan.

According to reports, Lores entered Taiwan on a private jet and met with top executives of the company’s Taiwanese suppliers at a hotel. He reportedly maintained a social distance of 1.5 meters and abstained from eating during the meetings, in line with the economic bubble requirements.

1 Like

It seems to me if he (or his staff) comes, it’s for their self interest (getting access to a local product in short supply) more than any benefit to Taiwan. He is using his power to get here and access. This is my point is this be fair to all of us I do not see much benefit to us here.

I think it was the CEO of HP that came recently to beg for semiconductors or something? He was here for just one day, no quarantine. Taiwan seems to be willing to waive it for the rich and powerful. As if they actually have to come in person anyway.

Probably has to do more with Taiwan’s own economic interests than giving privileges to rich people.

2 Likes

Fake news, he’s not coming.

Hes a chinese slave already, i agree he aint coming. He already shat on taiwan and sold out his morals and ideas years ago by selling out to china. Now they are fucking him, like everyone knew they would. He turned out to be same same, hopefully he just confused us with thailand and will fly over. Or grow up. Either or.

2 Likes

You expect fair with billionaires?

Case by case basis, this one no