If my company didnt deduct monthly taxes from my salary?

Hi all,

I have been working at a company as sales assisstant since 2012/07/02. They told me just today that i have to pay monthly taxes and they should deduct it from my salary every mount. But they forgot to deduct it till today. And today they say that i have to pay % 18 :fume: now, because of punishment. If they deducted from my salary then i should pay %6 for between July-November. They say that they will cut the amount next months( as 6 months)…and i also have to pay coming mounts’ taxes…So what can I do??What can i do now? Is it my fault? What are my rights now? Please help me! Thanks! :loco:

They say that they will cut the amount next months( as 6 months)…and i also have to pay coming mounts’ taxes…So what can i do??

The important question: How many will you have physically have been in Taiwan this tax year?

Hopefully you have been in Taiwan for >185 days (or is it 183 or 180) otherwise you are going to have a big tax bill when it is time to file taxes.

the tax deductions suck but they are just an estimate so you don’t get stuck with a big bill.

My company told me I need a guarantor that signs a paper that I won’t leave the company, so they can charge me the lower tax rate, otherwise in my second year I start from the beginning again… almost 10k less a month…

But to your problem: My first company didn’t charge me tax as well for the first month, I had two pay twice the tax the following month. Anyway, you should have noticed that they didn’t pay tax and should have saved that money in the first place, cause eventually they will always come for the tax. There is nothing you can do but pay the tax. You can just try to get it down to 6%, that depends on the goodwill of your company.

is 183 days or over.

[quote=“denizlirfann”]Hi all,

I have been working at a company as sales assisstant since 2012/07/02. They told me just today that I have to pay monthly taxes and they should deduct it from my salary every mount. But they forgot to deduct it till today. And today they say that I have to pay % 18 :fume: now, because of punishment. If they deducted from my salary then i should pay %6 for between July-November. They say that they will cut the amount next months( as 6 months)…and i also have to pay coming mounts’ taxes…So what can I do??What can I do now? Is it my fault? What are my rights now? Please help me! Thanks! :loco:[/quote]

FYI~~~ Foreign Workers like those Thai or Viet workers (i hope it’s apply to you also, don’t know if there is different, if u r a White Collar job on your contract): if they stay 183 days or over the tax deduction will be 6%, and will have tax refund on the following year; BUT if they stay less than 183 days they will deducted 6% if the income is not over 28, 170NT, 18% if the income is over 28, 170NT, and THERE WILL BE NO TAX REFUND on the following year.
and they also have their monthly income tax deduction.

Similar question, here. My company deducted the 18% for the first 183 days, but hasn’t deducted anything since then. What should I do about that, come tax time? Any experiences?

Don’t worry about it. Your company withheld 18% in case you left the country. Since you stayed past the 183 days they withheld too much (to be safe). You’ll probably still get a refund come tax time.

Thanks, Abacus. So, will I be notified about the refund, or will I have to obtain a form and mail it in like back home? Forgive my ignorance, but when I asked my boss about this, she told me to ask the other foreign teachers, who apparently have never worried about taxes at all so far. :whistle:

You only get a refund if you file a tax return just like you do back home. It’s probably easiest to go to the tax office and they do your tax return for you. Taxes are really easy here and it will take 5 minutes unlike the US.