If not your current job - what?

I was reading in another thread about another poster being unemployed.
This led me to think what would I do if I couldn’t be involved in the English education industry?

What other options are there for guys with B.A’s that can’t edit?

7-11, Mc D’s?

How many jobs are available if your Chinese reading, writing, and speaking aren’t perfect?

So, if we assume the worst case senario, you can’t do the work that you do now, what would you do?

Assuming you can legally stay and work in Taiwan (eg married to a local)?

Fry cook on Venus.

I believe that suitably qualified Westerners can make a fair living as gigolos here.

Would that make you a Venus Fry Chap? :sunglasses:

Professional Swinger…wait, is there such a thing?!

I would be a bartender or an ICRT DJ

Would that make you a Venus Fry Chap? 8-)[/quote]

Dunno… ask Cameron.

Oh, to work only on Fridays.

Gigolo? Feasible. Reminds me of when I was working in Singapore. I was at my favourite hawker center near the Singtel Building enjoying my Tong Yam Kung (they put just the right amount of lemon-grass in it). Having a rather reserved nature and having British sensibilities, I was rather shocked when a friendly Oz came and sat down and started talking to me like we were long lost friends. After my initial shock, we had a few beers and a bit of a wag. I asked him what he did. He said "I work out at the gym all day and rollerblade at the East Coast Park. I asked him how he landed such a sweet gig…“Good genetics” he laughed.

Later I found out he was basically a gigolo for some high powered female executive. 3-4 times a week he was required to do the deed when she returned home from the office. She paid him S$7-8K a month. Not that much money, but hell, not bad!!!

That’s my kind of job… Wait, was the female executive good looking? If not, then forget it… Naah, what the hell, I’m not quite a movie star either…

If I got fired, I would be selling stuff at the local night market and be drinking cold taipi during the week.

Professionel swinger?.. Hmmm, wonder how much they pay. I once saw a program on swingers on danish TW, it seems that the speciemens they got were in their fifties. (Old fat brits)

Well, so having me would be a fresh start, right!!! And according to the reponses on this message board, I think I can earn quite a bit…

but if and when I do get fired from my job, I would work at Fried Chicken Stand…heard they made at least $100,000 NT a month, not bad, don’t ya think?!

My local Bao zi husband and wife team told me they net NT$160k a month. NET! Not bad. At NT$15 each thats a shit load of Bao zi.

If I could no longer did what I do now, then there’s not much else I can do with my training/education/background.

Hmmm, then the obvious choice might be to start teaching English?

Then again, I’ve always wanted to be a bartender, or have my own bar/cafe. Those seem to be a lot easier to open up in Taiwan than in my home country (both regulatory and in terms of capital/investment needed)

Or maybe some kind of import/export?

Then again, if you can “start” the next latest fad, and be the first to sell it…

I’ll let you know what I end up doing as a non-native english speaker with an MA background…

If the worst came to the worst, there’s always the Typo Times!

I think that in southern Taiwan, you could quite easily make a living as a professional friend. When I lived there as a young missionary, I had countless offers of free room and board. People treated me to meals most every night, and often for lunch. I was given clothing, lots of tea and cookies, papaya milk, fruit, etc. The only requirements would be a good personality, willingness to shoot the breeze with the kids in English from time to time, and decent Mandarin. Yes, you’d essentially be a freeloader, but if you gave enough in return, it might work out for a while.

I would look into opening a coffee house in Yangmei. With a white guy behind the desk it’s guaranteed to be a success.

My macchiatos are quite good now.

Alternatively, I would look into import/export, but you need a good idea and a few connections to build that up as far as I know.

Sounds like many of Taiwan’s English teachers to me. :laughing:

[quote=“Mr He”]I would look into opening a coffee house in Yangmei. With a white guy behind the desk it’s guaranteed to be a success.

My macchiatos are quite good now.

Alternatively, I would look into import/export, but you need a good idea and a few connections to build that up as far as I know.[/quote]

Import/export is something most everyone wants to do, until they realize how difficult it is to get the right connections.