If Team 6 Had Failed?

Ok, I just puked worse than after eating that bad watermelon.
The guy’s bankrupted a number of businesses, and nearly himself, numerous times. If you want a CEO pres, vote Romney.

Tacos from Taco Bell, surely! Please apply some consistency in your hypothetical examples. :raspberry:[/quote]

Sorry, Taco Bell let their endorsement fee lapse and I was forced to find a new sponsor.[/quote]

Damn, now y’all got me thinking about tacos.

What has any of this crap got to do with my thread title? Never mind. There’s no damn point.

BTW, THIS is why women don’t post more often. :thumbsdown:

Well, you posed an open question without any specifics and then you split. The discussion, with no bounderies or guidance, flowed freely. You can’t just plant a garden and then leave it go and expect no weeds to grow… :grandpa:

:astonished: Really? Because thier very open questions don’t get answered to their satisfaction? :eh:

:ponder:

Probably the same as it was several days ago. Bin Laden was in hiding then, and would be now.

No, highly unlikely.

Mostly a risk to the lives of the Seals in the operation, I imagine.

Well, you posed an open question without any specifics and then you split. The discussion, with no bounderies or guidance, flowed freely. You can’t just plant a garden and then leave it go and expect no weeds to grow… :grandpa:

:astonished: Really? Because their very open questions don’t get answered to their satisfaction? :eh:

:ponder:[/quote]
I didn’t split. Some of us have to work for a living between posts.

The closest to on topic post was that Trump would have been the next president. I figure all you boys are big enough to understand it means to make a risky decision like the one to strike at a wanted man inside another country without notifying anyone of your intent.

Maybe I was wrong. Forgive me for overestimating you.

If they’d failed, I presume that upon capture they have plans and procedures to keep their mission, and identity to themselves, but it sure would have raised a lot of questions.

Politically, Obama has the ace of trump cards and is gonna play it again at ground zero here in a bit. But if he’d missed, would he have looked as week and pathetic as he now looks heroic? How would it have been spun?

Would there have been jihadists rioting in the streets of other nations instead of Americans celebrating in front of the white house?

How high would the price of oil have spiked?

Instead of welcoming Osama’s death, would Saudi Arabia have condemed the attempt to kill him?

Is this a little more clear for you, Tiger Man?

Harrumph! I thought I did answer it, and my answer negated the rest of the question.

HG

Yes, I think Huang Guang Chen’s answer sufficed. American operations in Pakistan (and elsewhere) have gone sideways before. It was only 6 weeks ago that an American officer murdered a couple of guys, and a couple of others were run over by getaway vehicle.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Harrumph! I thought I did answer it, and my answer negated the rest of the question.

HG[/quote]
Sorry, you did address the likelyhood of war with Pakistan, but dismissed the issue farther than that.

I really thought that I clearly implied, through openness in my question, that there were many more than one possible set of circumstances that might have been.

[quote=“housecat”]What has any of this crap got to do with my thread title? Never mind. There’s no damn point.

BTW, THIS is why women don’t post more often. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Well, then, I apologize for my rude behavior. :bow:

[quote=“housecat”]I figure all you boys are big enough. . . .
Maybe I was wrong. Forgive me for overestimating you.[/quote]

Well, speaking for myself only, I know I can be very childish at times. Sometimes I think that maybe I never grew up. And for that shortcoming, again, I apologize. :bow:

But in my defense, I keep looking for adult role models. It’s a difficult quest:

[color=#00BF00][Edited to clean up my botched quote job][/color]

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]From the China Post:

Umm. Am I the only person to think that this guy’s name reads like, “Did Yer Corn Hole?”[/quote]

The [color=#FF0000]title[/color] of that thread was “Lafayette Defendants Found Not Guilty.” Lafayette Defendants Found Not Guilty

Where, oh where, can I find that adult role model? Guess I’ll just have to keep searching.

But to your question(s):

Well, I can think of at least five possibilities, and of course there are probably more possibilities than I can think of:
(1) We’d never hear about it, or we’d hear about it much later.
(2) They’d escape, they’d make it back OK.
(3) The Pakistani government would kill them.
(4) The Pakistani government would detain and then release them.
(5) The Pakistani government would detain them and put them on trial.

He’d probably look somewhat like Carter after the failed Iran hostage rescue.

I don’t know whether there would be riots, but I imagine some people would be celebrating.

It might have spiked, I don’t know how high, but I think the spike would be relatively short-lived.

They might, but I think he was an embarrassment to them, so I think it more likely they’d say little or nothing.

Umm. Am I the only person to think that this guy’s name reads like, “Did Yer Corn Hole?”[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Just to be clear, who are you quoting–me or yourself? Because if you’re quoting me I can’t deny it. It sure DOES read like that to me, but I don’t remember the post.

And I’m quite grouchy today, I realize. Sorry if I took it out unfairly on any of you marvelous people. But here we are off topic again, and this time it’s my own fault. See? There was no point.

Just to bring this back on topic. I believe what Americans refer to as “corn holing” is a practice widely popular in Pakistan. For the record, i don’t believe any SEALs have been at least reportedly involved in such a practice, which is generally agreed to be more common between “masters” and their young “apprentices” than elite soldiers and terrorists on the run, but is not completely unknown.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Just to bring this back on topic. I believe what Americans refer to as “corn holing” is a practice widely popular in Pakistan. For the record, I don’t believe any SEALs have been at least reportedly involved in such a practice, which is generally agreed to be more common between “masters” and their young “apprentices” than elite soldiers and terrorists on the run, but is not completely unknown.

HG[/quote]

masters and apprentices would be pederasty, the more polite version. :laughing:

It was a brave move well thought out by Obama’s team.

If it had failed then bin Laden would have gone on the run and been caught eventually.

Trump would and still can split the vote. Palin, another loser. Leading the way to an Obama win.

Trump has been caught out with his anti Chinese hypocrisy.

There doesn’t appear to be any decent Repulican candidates known on the world stage appearing.
Unless you know different.

One needs to adopt an older world prism when viewing the warp and weft of this particular part of the globe. As the old Urdu saying goes (roughly translated) “Old enough to thread a loom . . .”*

*Translators note. Some erroneously render this as “shackled to a loom.” But that’s simply not right.

HG

Umm. Am I the only person to think that this guy’s name reads like, “Did Yer Corn Hole?”[/quote]

Just to be clear, who are you quoting–me or yourself? Because if you’re quoting me I can’t deny it. It sure DOES read like that to me, but I don’t remember the post.

And I’m quite grouchy today, I realize. Sorry if I took it out unfairly on any of you marvelous people. But here we are off topic again, and this time it’s my own fault. See? There was no point.[/quote]

Yeah, I was quoting you and fouled up the quote, sorry. I’ll fix it.

Anyway, my main answer to your question, I think, is that Obama would have looked at least somewhat like Carter after the failed Iranian hostage rescue mission. He might, of course, have looked worse if the SEALs had been killed or even captured.

But Reagan (politically) survived the deaths of all those Marines in Beirut and the attack on the USS Stark (but he was in his second term when the Stark was hit).

Kennedy politically survived the Bay of Pigs fiasco. He was a very popular president.

Under LBJ’s watch, the spy ship USS Pueblo was captured and Johnson didn’t take any military action to get it back.

During Nixon’s first term, U. S. forces attempted to rescue American POWs in North Vietnam. The mission failed, but Nixon was re-elected.

On the other hand, when the Cambodian government seized the USS Mayaguez, Ford got the ship and crew back (it cost lives, though), but he did not win a second term.

But really, I don’t know what would have happened. Politically, I think a lot of it would have depended on (1) how the economy was doing in the six months leading up to the election and (2) who his opponent was. In other words, I don’t think the failure of the mission would necessarily have doomed his chances.

Anyway, if it had failed, he could always have said what McMurphy said, that at least he had tried:

The U. S. is not supposed to be a nation of wizards or gods, and we shouldn’t try to give anyone the impression that we think we are. As long as we do the best we can, that’s good enough as far as I’m concerned.

Perhaps he was following a courier.