"If this sound interested to you, you may reach me at..."

There are a number of rental apartment ads on the Forumosafieds (and some on Tealit too, or so I’ve been told :blush: ) which all end with the line “If this sound interested to you, you may reach me at [email address].” Thing is, each of the email addresses is a different (Western) name, despite the seeming Chinglish of that line.

I’m guessing this is one person: some kind of housing agent. The apartments all look reasonable, and I’m wondering why this person feels the need to post under different names/emails. Has anyone responded to one of these ads, and if so was there anything dodgy or did all seem OK?

[Edit: turns out he/she doesn’t always use a different email. Sometimes they get recycled:
forumosafieds.com/detail.php?siteid=3193
classifieds.chinadaily.com/?view … =7&lang=en
and
forumosafieds.com/detail.php?siteid=3244
classifieds.chinadaily.com/?view … =7&lang=en ]

[quote=“joesax”]…Has anyone responded to one of these ads, and if so was there anything dodgy or did all seem OK?[/quote]A rather urgent bump. I think the guy’s real name is Jerry Lin. As I say, the apartments sound alright but I don’t want to waste a trip up to Taipei if in fact he is a dodgy geezer.

Sorry I missed this. Did you find out any more about the advertiser?

Sorry I missed this. Did you find out any more about the advertiser?[/quote]Hi Malc, yes. Sorry, I intended to post about this sooner.

The guy is Jerry Lin. He owns quite a few places – small “studios” with bed, TV, Internet, fridge, wardrobe, ensuite bathroom, and shared laundry facilities. Some of them have a rubbish collection service, and some include an electric hotplate too. They’re on the pricey side but he seems legitimate. I saw apartments in three locations.

As for the multiple email thing, his explanation was that it was easier for him to track apartment interest that way. If someone’s interested in one particular place, they respond to that email address and he knows which apartment they’re interested in. I’m not quite sure about this explanation. However, even if you’re not keen on this practice, can I suggest that you approach the matter through friendly emails or a phone call? I think he’s likely to be a user of the Forumosafieds for quite a while, and it might be better to nudge him in a more appropriate direction rather than taking any heavy-handed action.

If you’d like his phone number, PM me.

Thanks for that, I’ll drop you a PM for his number.

I have no problem with agents as long as they are not misleading people. Recommendations also help of course, so thanks for the post.

And I wouldn’t be heavy-handed without checking first. :smiling_imp: Well unless it’s that Type International chap again. :fume:

Thanks for that, I’ll drop you a PM for his number.

I have no problem with agents as long as they are not misleading people. Recommendations also help of course, so thanks for the post.

And I wouldn’t be heavy-handed without checking first. :smiling_imp: Well unless it’s that Type International chap again. :fume:[/quote]I’m PMing you the number now. Just one correction – I think he’s actually the landlord of those places, not an agent.

Thanks. So he didn’t want to charge any finders fee then? I know most agents charge 2-4 weeks rent.

Thanks. So he didn’t want to charge any finders fee then? I know most agents charge 2-4 weeks rent.[/quote]No- no finder’s fee. I’m pretty sure he owns all the places. They all have the facilities I described above. He buys floors of buildings, and whole buildings, and converts them into these studio apartments.

They’re pretty convenient for someone who doesn’t have much stuff and wants to get set up really quickly. They’re clean and seem well-managed. Though they’re a little pricey, I’d have gone for one if it weren’t for the space issue.

i stayed in one of his places for a few months…very small but well set-up like you say so good for a 3 or 4 month occupancy or a love nest!..he has different people in charge of different locations…first landlord in taiwan who returned my whole deposit in cash with no questions asked…respect!

[quote=“the bear”]i stayed in one of his places for a few months…very small but well set-up like you say so good for a 3 or 4 month occupancy or a love nest!..he has different people in charge of different locations…first landlord in taiwan who returned my whole deposit in cash with no questions asked…respect![/quote]That’s good to hear. I feel he’s actually missing out on some potential goodwill and word-of-mouth custom by using these different email addresses and not posting his name.

Seems like another landlord/lady is doing the same thing. At least this one uses the same “sold-by” name, though of course it might not be his/her real name.
taiwanted.com/detail.php?siteid=3425
taiwanted.com/detail.php?siteid=3424

The more I come across this practice, the less I like it. It just wastes time to be contacting someone you think is a new landlord only to find out it’s someone you’ve already contacted/met.