If we don't do something about climate change at least the kids are trying

My two cents worth is this…live minimalist life and maybe the planet can be saved!

OK, so all those 3rd world countries whose economies and standard of living are dependent upon the West buying the cheap crap they make are screwed. Gotcha.

Humility is the only justice for our planet!

1 Like

Planetary justice?

How about just keeping your street and yard neat and clean? Let’s start there. If you want to live minimally, what does that entail? No furniture or no high tech gadgets that make your life easier and data filled?

the planet will continue to live with or without humans.

What’s your point? Just keep on keeping on?

save life on earth :yum:

Why do you hate on *inanimate objects, bruh?

*My apologies in advance for the use of this rockist slur. We simply lack the vocabulary in this ignorant, backwards, cruelly indifferent time.

less objects, easier to keep my place tidy.

No retort I am thinking of right now would be acceptable today given the unwritten rules concerning dark humor and the Holocaust in particular. lol

But let me tell you, and it’s not too soon, they were hi-larious. :whistle:

I for one intend strongly to avoid anything with the color orange particularly if made of plastic because it is the most planetary threatening thing this particular minute!!!

The young are especially vulnerable to Dunning-Kruger. All the children are above average.

1 Like

I just bought a chainsaw with orange plastic casing. I can post pictures if you like.

Thanks for the trigger warning. I think I can handle it in the name of advancing planetary justice.

For great planetary justice!

planet

1 Like

This is a good example of someone saying “look, it’s obvious, you just don’t get it”, the article discusses the Thwaites Glacier. From Wiki.

A 2014 University of Washington study, using satellite measurements and computer models, predicted that the Thwaites Glacier will gradually melt, leading to an irreversible collapse over the next 200 to 1000 years.[9][10][11][12][13]

So on the one hand something that may happen in 200 to 1000 years, doesn’t seem like this fit’s the 12 years from now the earth is doomed outlook.

However, that too needs to be quantified. Because the study was from 2014 and new data has since been discovered, like the study you quote, although it does not address the time frame.

Even then when you get into the weeds there is debate over what is going on with discussions related to glacier melting from geothermal sources which was brought up in a discussion on realclimate related to So what is really happening in Antarctica?. For what it’s worth (I don’t think a lot, but to see what the other side says) of course a site like WUWT goes with Uh oh: Study says ‘collapsing’ Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica melting from geothermal heat, not ‘climate change’ effects

Anyway, in response to this suggestion the folks at RealClimate had this response.

[ Response: Holy confusion Batman! That article about geothermal heat sources is okay, but the title implies that the reason that Thwaites glacier is retreating is geothermal. No so. It’s ocean heat. Ocean heat is part of the climate system. So is glacier ice, for that matter. –eric]

Anyway, that’s more for the academic part of the debate. I get they may have updated estimates from 200 to 1000 years till a predicted collapse (although if that has been updated it wasn’t indicated in the article you linked to, that I could see), I don’t see anything (as it relates to the Thwaites Glacier) justifies a “see!” response in relation to the world is ending in 12 years time.

If humans can only humbly control its own consumerism and focus purposefully and meaningfully on what matters most in life then hopefully and luckily the planet will have a chance in this and next centuries.

1 Like

I am routing for the planet. That is why I am so against orange and plastic. I am doubly against orange and plastic when it makes ugly products. And don’t get me started on how I feel when these end up in the ocean!!!

Most of us are fortunate enough to be able to choose to avoid plastic. Plastic is the economic reality of developing countries though. To truly make a dent, these countries need to catch up fast.

Evolution, you have found your way out of the “what tree am I today thread” and am routing for the planet, baby steps.