If you get really old someday, where would you retire?

Would you choose Taiwan to retire? There are many parents expecting children to take care of them. I don’t want any kids. Even I have someday, I don’t think I should put high expectations on them. I would definitely have savings. But, what is the best way to retire when you reach 80 years old? We need to be realistic. We are healthy now. But, you can’t expect you will be energetic when you are 80 years old. You can eat well, work out, take vitamins supplements, sleep well, etc. Of course, they can be helpful. But, it doesn’t mean you can control your body system. What would you do if you think you can not drive anymore? Where is the best place to retire?

2 Likes

I think you are asking the wrong questions. Fate has a habit of determining our future based on the ‘whom’ and not the “how”.
At you age , it’s astute to save towards a good pension so that you can support yourself later in life .
I think you will find that when you meet your life partner , that will determine the answers to a lot of your questions.
Having a great person to share life with is the key…but plan for every possibility .

2 Likes

preferably a place where you can take up BASE jumping. Not retire until 80?? You must be less than 40.

I got no idea and can’t tell where would I be at that certain age.
But i’m sure I will be missing lot’s of things like doing things that I’m use to do.

Perhaps in my small box inside my head. :roll_eyes: while being bedridden in future.
Perhaps inside the box that what most people go to when my time is up.

Anyway go and enjoy your life being single human being.

Lol, accurate.

1 Like

Maybe Armenia, wife willing.

Are you angry, bro? :grin:

1 Like

As a first pass at narrowing down the list, one should check to see which countries have a retirement visa they can afford or otherwise qualify for.

The next thing is to check on the quality and costs of things like health care and elder care, what options there are for a disabled person, etc. (especially if one is considering really living there permanently, and at the age you mentioned).

The usual articles on “best places in the world to retire” usually don’t include any real information on the above. I don’t have that information either, but it would be interesting to find out.

1 Like

I think it’s more of a “when” than “if” question… unless you get hit by a scooter or something before you reach old age.

1 Like

Coastal Queensland (or more accurately, Godsland) is Heaven on Earth. Well so long as you stay away from Surfer’s Paradise I guess. That’s where I’d go. Actually my current intention is to by my first property there, live there a period for the first home owners grant then keep it as an investment.

1 Like

I would love to stay in Taiwan as long as it remains out of the clutches of China. Otherwise, it is the old country, if I have enough money. Somewhere close to the sea or the countryside, if no civil war is going on. Will depend on Internet broadcasts to remain sane.

This is definitely true. A lot of the retirement overseas sites do not include the retirement visa information. However, even in Taiwan there are workarounds.

See my previous post:

Lara aren’t you like 18 or something? Think about enjoying your life too and not just about retiring.

1 Like

Hit 90 and then BASE jump or climb Everest or something.

Cuz if u don’t make it then it won’t matter …as much.

France. I want to retire and live in a fucking chateau somewhere in the French countryside. Like in one of those quaint ‘Beauty and the Beast’ villages, minus all the singing teacups and hair monsters.

1 Like

But that’s all the fun!

I will be too grumpy for that crap when I’m 80.

I just want a full wine cellar and an outdoor farmer’s market nearby to buy cheese and bread and oogle all the fine-ass mademoiselles cavorting about.

1 Like

But everybody there speaks French…

If I can learn Chinese, then learning French will be a walk in the park.

Then again… I haven’t really learned Chinese yet. :sweat:

1 Like

I don’t know man, the French have a different word for everything.

1 Like