If you get really old someday, where would you retire?

I don’t want to retire when i’m really old. My dad retired by 50. He could have made way more money but was just tired after running a company 80+ hour a week and traveling all the time. He now still enjoys doing a bunch of things he wants to do like going on skiing trips all over the world. Climbing mountains he always wanted to summit. He has all the time and money to do these things now. Sounds good to me.

2 Likes

Yes I can understand that . I retired the first time when I was 34. I peaked a little too soon :wink:

2 Likes

Trouble is , retiring at a younger age means you still want all the exciting stuff. That is really expensive to maintain . I also found that all my friends were busy working most of the time , so they could not often rush overseas for a jolly etc.
Better to wait until 50 plus

“retired” and “first time” shouldn’t be in the same sentence unless you’re a rapper. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, my dad had to cut down on expenses with no income now. Can’t spend like a CEO, but still very comfortably. People live for a long time he says, have to prepare to live till 90s plus lol.

Fortunately I won’t make that long , due to enjoying myself far too much for too long already :woozy_face: I have used up most of my 9 lives.:hushed:

That’s what she said. :wink:

Is she wearing this ?

That costs extra, big spender.

https://video.ftpe8-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.4659-2/60762833_2281001251993505_8574968598068461568_n.mp4?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=video.ftpe8-4.fna&oh=31a42358cc59802f01049b26aa72db3a&oe=5CD9D1A9

I think the workarounds you mentioned are fine for people in their 50s (as was the topic of your previous post) but the OP in this thread is talking about what happens at age 80 (e.g., “you can’t expect you will be energetic when you are 80 years old”). I’ve seen people in their 80s and 90s who are in no condition to teach English or run a business (i.e., not everyone at that age has the health and stamina of Warren Buffett).

So, getting back to the OP’s question, I think the list of countries where one can retire (I’m assuming this implies living there permanently) after one’s viable working years are over is a very small list (possibly zero countries other than where one already has citizenship).

Some countries have quasi-retirement visas, but one should check whether that includes “right of abode”. It could matter. This is usually not mentioned in the relevant articles. Also not usually mentioned is whether the country in question has a national health insurance system, and whether or not retirees fresh off the boat can participate in it.

Bottom line, I’m not sure it’s easy or even possible to go to a different country and retire there permanently after one’s viable working years are over (which happens earlier for some people than others).

By 80? Retired? Do you plan on investing in Bitcoin?

at age 80, live in a big city and apartment/condo community that is near an excellent public transportation system and various hospitals/clinics. Don’t live in the countryside. Enjoy your last days on earth near other people and near the conveniences of daily needs.

1 Like

Que la force soit avec vous!

https://static.meilleursagents.com/3.8.0/img/www/press/carte_prix_hd.jpg

et voilà, la preuve que @overnightoats666 est Québécois :joy:

1 Like

Canada

What part?

Idk, somewhere near a nice lake?

1 Like

Then basically anywhere in Canada.