If you leave the school that provided you an ARC, do you lose it?

I remember reading somewhere that the employer who provided you a work visa and ARC can cancel them if you terminate their contract. Is this true? For example, if I quit and move schools will I need a new work permit, visa and ARC?

Thanks

not CAN, but MUST.

it’s the law.

you have to get another sponsor first, or you’re screwed.

2 Likes

or apply for a 6 month extension BEFORE your current ARC is invalidated.

3 Likes

For which you’ll need to get a contract cancelation notice from your current job. You’ll also need that if they cancel the work permit and you change jobs.

Technically, your job doesn’t cancel your ARC. They cancel your work permit, the MOL or MOE contacts immigration, and they cancel your ARC if you don’t get an extension or a new job. It’s best to get an extension in case there are any issues getting qualified for another ARC. It’s free for a few months, or one or two thousand for a 6 month extension.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. So if I quit and don’t have a job lined up immediately (but I’ve still got, say, 9 month left on my ARC), I’m technically staying illegally?

I don’t quite understand what you all mean about applying for a 6 month extension. Either way, if I quit, my ARC gets cancelled, no?

After your work permit is cancelled and the NIA cancels your ARC, it’s not technically, it is so.

Yes and no.
Get a contract cancelation notice from your school. Go to the NIA. Fill out the standard form and check extension or whatever. Get the extension. Chill out or get a new job, get a new work permit, and get a new ARC. Simples.
Your ARC is not canceled if you do that, it’s extended.
Your ARC is canceled if you don’t do that. There is a slim chance you could get a new work permit before it’s canceled, but why risk it. Just get the extension, then get a new job. Or chill for 6 months. It’s really easy.

1 Like

Article 22 of Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens

Thanks for the replies. So just to clarify, this is the timeline (for if I want some time off between looking for a new job):

• Currently working with 9 months left on ARC (and working visa)
  • Quit the job, obtain a contract cancelation notice
  • Get ARC extension from NIA

I assume I have to ask my school not to cancel my ARC before I go to the NIA to get an extension, otherwise I will have nothing to extend so to speak.

Also, what’s the procedure if I don’t take a break between schools, but move immediately into the same role at another school?

Thanks for the help.

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=35C4C6202979ECD0&sms=2D58889BB41F75D7&s=9EB73E61D38E7FDE

Another thing you might want to know

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=35C4C6202979ECD0&sms=2D58889BB41F75D7&s=83C6F476421BC1AB

1 Like

Your school won’t physically take away your ARC from you. You’ll still have that on you, but I would advise heading to NIA to apply for the extension.

It would be relatively the same, but instead of applying for an extension, you will be applying for another ARC, as you will be sponsored by a different entity. I would advise going from one job/school to another, as this saves you trips to NIA as well as some processing fees.

The school will screw you over and hold the ARC over your head.

You know this how? I thought you were only thinking of working in Taiwan.

Base on reading a lot of stories, it seems like a lot of schools will hold your ARC against you.

Based on working at a lot of schools, they usually won’t. If they try, there are legal remedies. It’s too much trouble for them to try it.

1 Like

The school can’t touch the ARC. Only the work permit. They can cancel the work permit but you just need to go to immigration to get a six month extension on the ARC which effectively becomes a job search ARC.

1 Like

Taiwan already sounds better in terms of visa than Thailand. In Thailand, you have a work permit (booklet) and a work permit visa. Once the work permit is cancel by your school, your work permit visa is cancel too. Then you must leave the country. You can come back in but on a tourist visa (90 days) or start the process of a work permit visa with your new school. It’s really annoying and tiring.