If your country of origin were a food item, what would it be?

Can we get some clarification here?
There seems to be some confusion over whether the topic is soliciting signature foods of one’s homeland, or foods that present the innate qualities of that place.
Granted, in some cases, like the Jersey baloney, both may be true.

1 Like

yum

1 Like

Go ahead, @Al, you can have mine.

Except that sweet potato is indigenous to South America and wouldn’t be in Taiwan without the Spanish.

Where as taro is indigenous to Taiwan, and spread by Austronesian settlers out of Taiwan, across the pacific ocean, and still is the main staple for many Polynesians cultures.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information! fellow whale (Hi-On)

USA…SPAMScreenshot_20190514-110840_Google

1 Like

Meat Pie.

Isn’t the humble white turnip (白蘿蔔) like the national vegetable (tuber, but, you know)?

As far as cooked dishes, I would, accordingly, nominate tian bu la as the perfect essence of Taiwan. 100% indigenous ingredients, basically made out of stuff that nobody else wants, and, in the right circumstances, really good.

5 Likes

What about kraft dinner! :smile_cat:

BunnyChow

Durban Bunny Chow

1 Like

That looks pretty good actually. What’s the texture of the bread? It is like anything like injera?

During my first month here I was walking through a night market with a new local acquaintance. I noticed some of the stalls had Japanese writing, and I asked if tempura was popular in Taiwan. He assured me, oh yes!, and took me to a stall to get some “tempura.”
That was my first experience with tian bu la and I guess I was so disappointed that my brain just can’t stomach trying it again.

No way. Next few states maybe

Yeah, it’s like a Pennsylvania Dutch deal, isn’t it?

yeah, maybe some of the other farm country around that way as well, I think

brexit shit sandwich

1 Like

The mark of a rank amateur (not meaning you, but you see this a lot when visitors/FNGs are writing about Taiwan food) is to somehow associate the Taiwanese stew with Nipponese batter fried vegetables and seafood.
The etymology of the name is, apparently, “sweet not spicy” in Taiwanatiated Mandarin.
Which just happens to sound like tempura.

Mine would be: “sorry we are all out of that at the moment, would you like to order something else on the menu instead?”

I would’ve gone with a Mission burrito myself.

2 Likes

and they actually have a word for real tempura ‘tian fu luo’ or something.

1 Like