If you're knowledgeable in English, please read

english is like counterpoint (ie the art of the fugue)…the rules were added after the event and change according to common usage…everybody says “i’m going to school” therefore it’s right…just like saying “me and you” instead of “you and I” has now become so common that it’s barely considered incorrect…

Wolf’s explanation doesn’t quite hold up. “The” is generally used in front of particular nouns that are known to the listener either because of past reference or for some other reason. I believe that in the original dialogue the conversation was between a child and an adult. In such a situation mention of any school would have been in reference to a particular building. Children are not big on strangely abstract physical destinations such as the concept of school. And we can safely assume that both parties to the conversation knew which particular school the child attended. They would talk about going to “the” park but not going to “the” school probably as a result of that being the correct and common usage in other situations where the listener does not know which particualr school is being referred to and does not need to know because he is more interested, in that situation, with school as a concept . In the original situation described in this thread we would drop “the” not because it is correct or logical but only because it sounds stupid. That is a very good reason.

Actually the improper use of articles and plural nouns is one of the most disorientating things about reading Chinglish or Japlish. Any editor or proofreader can attest to this.

It’s terrible that some supposed expert doesn’t even have this most rudimentary knowledge about article usage. On the other hand, I’m rubbing my hands together with glee at just how hard English must be to master and that the gravy train will never end.

Last night in class one child wrote:

My name is Elvis. I live in Taiwan. In Taipei, it’s 8:30 in the evening. I am watching TV in the home.

Yeah, you and all the other mental cases Elvis. Even he was quick enough to pick up on the change in meaning, and he’s only 8 years old.

Is this true for both senses? As in “He got a bad case of the lurgy and had to go to hospital” and “I had to go to the hospital and check that both her tits were still there”?

That’s because proper English come from England, which still has proper grammar rules. But the yank’s on the other hand need to have different rules, and use simplified spellings. Then there are words like winningest, another sad reflection of American English usage.

That’s because proper English come from England, which still has proper grammar rules. But the yank’s on the other hand need to have different rules, and use simplified spellings. Then there are words like winningest, another sad reflection of American English usage.[/quote]

For the linguists and other neophytes interested in knowing exactly how sad the American English usage has become can check here.

If you’re interested in language purity, you can contribute your thoughts for words that just need to go: here.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]For the linguists and other neophytes interested in knowing exactly how sad the American English usage has become can check here.[/quote]I don’t get your point. Seems a reasonable organisation to me although perhaps misleadingly named.

Sorry joesax, but it was supposed to be read with a healthy sprinkle of sarcasm as it was posted following Satellite TV’s comment about Brit vs. US English.

That’s because proper English come from England, which still has proper grammar rules. But the yank’s on the other hand need to have different rules, and use simplified spellings. Then there are words like winningest, another sad reflection of American English usage.[/quote]

The problem with saying that one dialect of English is more

Isn’t anyone going to congratulate me for solving the “the” puzzle in this case?

Felicitation Bob! et merci… :idunno:

Oui Oui :notworthy:

“the” states the familiar. If the listener knows the noun that you are speaking of you add, “the.”

" I will meet you at the park."

The listener has been to the park or has heard of the park before. Since it is “the school” and the listener knows of the school, it is correct.

It “would” be correct if language was like mathematics.

This is becoming redundant.

No.

Is this true for both senses? As in “He got a bad case of the lurgy and had to go to hospital” and “I had to go to the hospital and check that both her tits were still there”?[/quote]
Yes, “go to hospital” and “in hospital” are very strange-sounding to American ears, every bit as strange as “go to park” or “in park”.

[quote=“Rik”]Most single countable nouns need the, some do not. The explanation of the reasons why those that don’t is much more complicated than just learning a list. Taiwanese like lists anyway.

home
work
school
college
university
church
hospital
prison
market
[/quote]
For American English, omit “hospital” and “university”.

I would add “temple” (but only with respect to Jewish synagogues) and “class” to the list.

“Where’s Sol Cohen?”
“Oh, he decided not to go to temple today.”
“Oy vey!”

“I really like you, and you have a really great car, so let’s park. But where can we go to park?”

“Right here baby. Just a minute while I put the car in park.”

Then, my friend, that is an example of acquired knowledge rather than instinct. Regardless of how we learned, that knowledge was taught to us.

Peace. :wink: