IKEA- system failure

I had a terrible experience at Ikea yesterday- it took over an hour to get our order recorded in their computer system! It was not at all pleasant with the store filling up with more and more customers, the baby daughter getting more and more restless and thirsty and hungry and needing a diaper change (everything my wife and I found some way to attend to), and the employee telling us a thousand times that everything was just about ready and giving us free coffee coupons and receiving phone calls that the system was back up, etc.

The sales are great this time of year but I will not be returning to Ikea again.

By the way, their system showed problems last year but not with delays but with erroneous “out of stock” messages.

And they are all kids working there so there’s nobody to complain to. I went to the office and said a few things to the manager, but again a kid and I doubt the real manager (judging from his complete embarrassment and cluelessness).

I can’t believe I gave them any more of my money.

“Get your order recorded”? WTF. I hate this kind of shopping. I can see the problem with crdit cards, ATM cards and charges but . . come on. Cash and merchandise in hand. I pay. You take. I walk. What has happened???
A few years back I went to our local computer megamart and took a computer system to the front counter. I had planned for this purchase and had the required approximate 2,000 U.S. in cash and in hand. After 20 minutes of trying to get the system to accept my social security number (for unexplained purposes) I thanked the clerk and told her to foprget it. I walked. If more people would complain by walking away, maybe all this BS will end.
Another example (for no other reason than I’m getting worked up). Christmas shopping at Sears near Seattle. I wanted to get a kid a nice little CD plyer/radio/tape player combo. It was less than $50.00 bucks including the tax. I took it to the counter and some little girl clerk simply did not know how to accept cash for the player. It actually took her department manager to complete the transaction. @^&@!!! I should have walked then too.

Now that’s funny

I work for a french company here in taiwan, and recently we have switched to a new computer system… which happens to be the same as ikea. So far we have had no great problems, but then again we are not using it as a front office application. Untrained taiwanese kids + swedish system does spells trouble.

Maybe I should drop by and give em a hand! I’m starting to get the hang of it now…

I wouldn’t let one bad experience decide if I ever shop there again. I went to Ikea not 3 weeks ago and had no problem. I paid with credit card and had it delivered to my house. Whole process took about 10 minutes.
You could of got unlucky and found a new employee, or what not. Nothing can be perfect all the time.

[quote=“Frost”]I wouldn’t let one bad experience decide if I ever shop there again. I went to Ikea not 3 weeks ago and had no problem. I paid with credit card and had it delivered to my house. Whole process took about 10 minutes.
You could of got unlucky and found a new employee, or what not. Nothing can be perfect all the time.[/quote]
Or you could have paid with " filthy luker and been stuck in limbo ikea land until the . . . .the . . . . .the . . . .HOUNDS OF . . . . .come and carry you to
Ok. I’m otta here.

I dont even buy at IKEA anyways. Most of their furniture are overpriced for their quality… for a bit more you could get something that’s a lot more solid (like Stereo racks… nothing from IKEA is going to cut it, they are only designed to hold lightweight DVD players, not 30-70Kg Class A power amps…)

It’s my belief that they know their system can’t handle the rush of buyers prior to the Chinese New Year but don’t do anything about it- indeed encourage the rush of people with major sales- that made me come to my conclusion that other places have to be better. I mentioned that I noticed a problem last year at about this time. I’ve bought at IKEA on other occassions without encountering problems. All this points to greed without caring about the customer in my opinion.

Back to this particular instance, the furniture we ordered has arrived and has been assembled. They screwed up on the assembly of one of the pieces of furniture and had to come back two days later with a new part (that they broke in half) and for re-assembly.

I stick with my decision to check out other options for future purchases.

Welcome to Forumosa anyway. Nobody is going to hold that against you. You could be French for all we know.

Is your name related to a movie?

Welcome to Forumosa anyway. Nobody is going to hold that against you. You could be French for all we know.

Is your name related to a movie?[/quote]

Ironman, please hold back … this is the Ikea thread, it’s a Swedish company … not French … :laughing:

Thx ironman :laughing: , and my nick is indeed related to a movie, but not one you know.
I am indeed french btw. I passed by ikea this weekend and the guys there looked a very chinese kind of swedish to me.

[quote=“Zoltan”]Thx ironman :laughing: , and my nick is indeed related to a movie, but not one you know.
I am indeed french btw. I passed by ikea this weekend and the guys there looked a very Chinese kind of swedish to me.[/quote]

You’re a lucky bastard being French. You can watch the French movies. That is the good part. So, its a French movie?

I really enjoy that French Taxi movie. The one that starts off with the pizza delivery scooter. I’d enjoy it even more to watch it one day on my IKEA television in my IKEA chair and be able to understand it.

when people see IKEA they seem to go crazy around here. Back in the US, IKEA was considered the place to go for cheap stuff. Here, it is THE place to go. I hate IKEA.

Europeans love it (as observed in the UK, Sweden :unamused: and Germany). It drives me crazy at peak times, so I avoid the weekends.

Some of that stuff is really quite good quality if you know what you are looking at, and unbeatable value. Other stuff is crap.

The hotdogs are not bad, especially with those mustard and ketchup thingys. Might be reasonably tasty without the weiner too…