Illegal chin cups and illegal helmets

Not loco at all. They have no intention of protecting their heads. They simply want to avoid getting ticketed.

Yes you are right. It was understood many years ago in the developed world that chin-cups were not a sufficient way to secure the helmet on the head in an accident.
I would also ask why a tiny country of just 23 million people needs it’s own national standards for this sort of item in any case. Would it not be sufficient to require adherence to US, EU or Japanese standards? I doubt that many of these piss-pot helmets sold here would pass EU norms for bicycle helmets, let alone for motorcycle use.

Not loco at all. They have no intention of protecting their heads. They simply want to avoid getting ticketed.[/quote]
Yes of course, and I’ve heard most of their antilogic arguments…

I’m not going far. (Most accidents occur close to home)
I’m not going fast. (So you won’t be hit by anyone going fast?)
I’m religious. (Graveyards of every religion / denomination are packed with the formerly religious)
I’m careful. (Hospitals and graveyards are also full of these people)

I have no sympathy for any of these people either.

Not loco at all. They have no intention of protecting their heads. They simply want to avoid getting ticketed.[/quote]

My friends was here in my wedding and went to green island and bought this NT$100 helmets and rented motorbikes riding around. I asked them how much protection they expected to get from something that cost the same as a pack of condoms back home.

I’m a little unclear here on the status of legal helmets, so maybe someone can clarify. Is it just the chin cups that are illegal, or are all half-helmets illegal? If it’s only the chin cup, can I remove the cup and then use the half-helmet with the strap that came with it, or is it unsalvagable?

Don’t get me wrong, I know half-helmets are unsafe. I don’t use one myself. I finally got the wife to accept a 3/4 helmet. But I haven’t tossed the half-helmet (came free with the bike - I’d never buy one). Thought I’d keep it as a backup in case the 3/4 helmet gets stolen, until I get a replacement. But if the half-helmet is outright illegal, I might as well give it to the recycling folks.

cheers,
DB