Illegal or Legal?

Hello All,

I heard that teaching English at Kindergarden in Taiwan is illegal.
But I see a lot of Ads for preschools and Kindergardens
for english teaching jobs. are these all illegal?
(Schools or private institues such as Private America preschools
,Jump start and Shane for kids)

Will appreciate any comments. thank you!

Here we go :slight_smile:

I did put in a smilie.

It’s illegal, always illegal, everywhere illegal…

Why? Are you any good? :slight_smile:

It’s not always illegal.

You can’t get a work permit for it, but not everyone needs a work permit.

I’ts illegal to teach immersion English, but up to half a day’s English classes is allowed.

Brian

It’s not always illegal.

You can’t get a work permit for it, but not everyone needs a work permit.
Brian[/quote]

Can you 'splain this to me in more detail,please?

My guess is that Brian is talking about people here on open work permits - without wanting to put words in his mouth! This being people who are married to a citizen or have been here a long time etc.

Are these foreigners entitled to work in kindergartens though? I understand that they are entitled to do any work that locals can do (with some exceptions) provided that they are qualified. Now, I know that it doesn’t seem this way, but isn’t it a requirement that local staff at kindergartens be qualified in that area. And if so, how feasible is it that a foreigner could receive those qualifications? Is there course work involved or is it just some weekend thing?

what if I am getting taiwan citizenship? am I allow to teach in
kindergarden…

what if I just leave to HK every 3 months and come back?

Again, my understanding is that even if you had Taiwan citizenship you would still need to get accredited by the government to be a teacher in a pre-school. I am not 100% sure that this is correct, but am pretty confident that this is accurate.

Do local teachers at kindergartens need qualifications? If so, thent he majority of teachers at the many kindergartens I have worked in were flaunting the rules.

Even if a foreigner on a JFRV or with an OP needs to get some sort of qualification to teach in kindergarten, this does still not make true the oft-repeated MOE claim that it is illegal for foreigners to teach in kindergartens.

Brian

Legality and standard practice seem to be in conflict here. Kindergarten teaching for Foreign teachers is illegal, but every kindergarten seems to employ foreign teachers and many, many foreign teachers are working in them.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Do local teachers at kindergartens need qualifications?

Even if a foreigner on a JFRV or with an OP needs to get some sort of qualification to teach in kindergarten, this does still not make true the oft-repeated MOE claim that it is illegal for foreigners to teach in kindergartens. [/quote]

I believe so, but as I say, I stop short of guaranteeing that this is the case. Whether or not this rule is taken seriously or not by local staff I don’t know, but I am sure that there are certainly a lot of local teachers are not qualified.

Assuming though that this is the case, then it is possible for the MOE to state that no foreigners can work legally in kindergartens in Taiwan (if none of us have the appropriate accreditation), but I guess you are right that it is probably wrong of them to say that it is ‘illegal’.

Anyway, my posts here are more of a question than anything, can anyone confirm or put to rest the suggestion that local teachers need some qualifcation to become kindy teachers. There may be some arrangement where only a certain percentage of staff need such a qualification, rather than all of the staff.

I expect it’s something like a proportion of the staff must have a licence in that field. This is the way it works in human resources and early years daycare anyway.

The licences are often sold or rented to the company by the licence holder. That way they can take a job elsewhere and get a little extra income, and the company doesn’t have to bother looking for a qualified replacement. My wife’s HR licence has been on semi-permanent loan for years now, including the whol time we were living in the UK.

so what happenes if MOE find out you work at Kindergarten wi/o proper documents

Hard to say, but you could be deported - it does happen sometimes. However, there seems to be an understanding that the spouses of citizens will not be deported.

Brian

ok when you get deported is there a period of time you can’t come back? or you can come back right away…
I mean right now I am US citizen…I got Taiwan passport…going to get Taiwan citizenship but it needs one year or 2 years…I am here on the 3 months thing on the Taiwan passport…even tho I don’t work in kindergarten…can I work anywhere else? or no…or if I work the work place needs to provide me with ARC or I will be working here illegally? what makes you an illegal worker? thanks

You have a Taiwan passport but you don’t have Taiwan citizenship? What 3 month thing? Surely if you have a Taiwan passport you can stay here as long as you like?

ya I applied for Taiwan passport in NYC…since I am US citizen…even in Taiwan Passport it says I am US Citizen tho…and when I use Taiwan passport it only allow me up to 3 month to stay in Taiwan…I am not sure I need to ask more people I think