Illegal work and salary deduction

I met a guy here who was really hush-hush about his job because he works illegally. The strange thing is that he has been doing it for like 7 years. No one has ever come into his organization, and it does not seem to be a problem. I was wondering what would be the repercussions if the labor department dropped in. Also, I feel bad for the guy. Can one work in sectors in Taiwan with just a high school diploma as a foreigner.

My other buddy is being forced to take salary deductions mid-contract. I am not sure if this is because the organization in which he is employed is failing or because he has made an error. It all seems very strange to me. Is anyone else dealing with similar circumstances? How would you approach it as an employee?

In Taiwan, employers are allowed to treat employee as they wish. The only other way is to sue the employer.

[quote=“toshlaura”]I met a guy here who was really hush-hush about his job because he works illegally. The strange thing is that he has been doing it for like 7 years. No one has ever come into his organization, and it does not seem to be a problem. I was wondering what would be the repercussions if the labor department dropped in. Also, I feel bad for the guy. Can one work in sectors in Taiwan with just a high school diploma as a foreigner.

My other buddy is being forced to take salary deductions mid-contract. I am not sure if this is because the organization in which he is employed is failing or because he has made an error. It all seems very strange to me. Is anyone else dealing with similar circumstances? How would you approach it as an employee?[/quote]

1. Re: the guy you met, you’d be surprised at the number of people working illegally here, and for several years. Is he working at a school, most likely outside of Taipei?

2. If your other buddy is working legally, maybe he should go to the labor bureau about his mystery pay cuts.

If he goes to labor bureau, he will be out of job asap. The best would be to find another job if would like to stay in Taiwan.

Labor bureau are highly inefficient because all they can do is to ‘request’ the employer but employer holds the right to decision.

If he’s working legally he should threaten to go to the labor bureau… or better yet, the tax bureau… and the employer will probably open up to the idea of negotiations out of fear.

Yeah, Hokwongwei is right. The tax bureau is the real muscle of a country. Maybe the labor bureau will slap an owner on the wrist and assess fines, but tax evasion is a federal offense. In the latter case, though, you have to demonstrate a sincere effort to pay all relevant taxes, and show that the employer was lying on his income statements.

I think it depends but I haven’t heard of anyone going to jail on tax evasion in Taiwan. However nearly all Taiwanese businesses are cheating on their taxes which is why they fear the tax bureau.