Illegals

I’ve been pounding the piss out of the Dragfire,
so I’ve been looking at the Venoxens (no sic), the Hartfords
and the Hornets.
What gets me is the number of illegals for sale.
Now I don’t know if there has always been a high
turn over in illegals or if now there is a big push on, ( to get’m )
but jeezus what deals.
One lad had real good pictures of a 400 Honda, and pictures
of a raft of documents - come to find, nebulous.
I buy lottery tickets but driving here is risky enough, thanks.

Anyway, now it’s between a Hartford 250 and a Honda Hornet.

If you can’t prose, there are two questions here.

hartfords

Hartford 250 is cheap
Try to accelerate, understand why
Best buy the Hornet

thanks llary,
i would have guessed the one lunger would have bettter torque,
off the line.
the first question revolved round the plethora ( lots of )
of illegal bikes here.
they’re for sale all over. is this new or has there’re always
been a big turnover?
does no one succumb?
he told me, "oh, a foreigner, you can go anywhere!’

Hartford do 200’s, not 250’s. The Hornet’s a better-made machine and has much more power, which you’d expect at more than double the price. However I think the Hartfords are reasonable at what they do. The supermoto-style ones are fun and feel reasonably torquey around town, though they swiftly run out of steam. I haven’t tried one of the little road bikes but I imagine they’re fun too, if you don’t mind the small saddle.

It seems that everyone who still has an illegal bike is trying desperately to sell it. I don’t see many around these days, not on the roads and not in shops.

[quote=“joesax”]
It seems that everyone who still has an illegal bike is trying desperately to sell it. I don’t see many around these days, not on the roads and not in shops.[/quote]Exactly. As soon as it was announced that big bikes would be legalized there was a crackdown on illegal imports. It is not possible to get a registration for a bike that was imported illegally, no amnesty was offered. The cops take a keen interest on riders of big bikes as a new source of revenue. Maybe they get a bonus for bikes impounded and/or fines handed out. So you don’t see plateless bikes on the road very often. With some bikes it may be possible to get an illegal bike half-way legal, but it’s not really worth it since they will not stand close scrutiny. Some of these bikes get sold for spares if there were legal imports of the same model. Otherwise they languish unused and out of sight.

In short, don’t bother.

joesax; goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11070110403931
guy says he’s got a 250.
redwagon - that’s about what i thought.
the short story is - i found a great deal on a Venox for sale
in the english ‘for sale’ and went on the tawanese ‘auction’ sites to just check
the price and came across the honda vxr for sale cheap. now i knew
about illegals but this guy had a photo of a desk top of documents that
led me to believe (somehow) this was legal and of course by the time
i got a transltor to talk to the guy i missed out on the Venox.

so i tell my friends ( that had put up with the translating ) that i
don’t believe in god but she doesn’t want me to get a bigger motorcycle!

• went and did a little maintenance work yesterday on the dragfire …

[quote=“old canuck”]joesax; goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11070110403931
guy says he’s got a 250.[/quote]I’m sure he has. Same as my mate’s old 125-ish cc Dio (originally a 50).

I’d be very reluctant to buy a bike with serious modifications, unless I knew exactly what had been done to it and how it had been maintained.

Anyway, I think a stock 200cc Hartford would be good value, while a Hornet would be a lot more bike (quality and performance) at a lot more money. There’s something in the middle, though. Something that not many people consider. The Honda CBR150R looks like fun to me.

It’s about the same size as the NSR and I think is intended to replace that bike. It’s a four-stroke so has less power, but I think it still has a fair bit more power than current local 150s and 200s. I saw one yesterday with reasonable acceleration two-up. And I had a friendly race with one before in the mountains. I was on an RZX which was faster on the straights. But he did a reasonable job of keeping up on the corners, in more comfort and style than the RZX which was bucking around all over the place.

It’s not cheap at all, at around 140,000NT new. But if Thai Honda quality is anything like Japanese Honda quality, you’d be getting a decent, fun, light bike for much less than the cost of a Hornet.

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/1138555548
ibike.com.hk/01_bike_report/ … r/150r.htm
zclub.com.tw/dis/bs_list.asp … 4&keyword=
yingyongmotorcycle.com/Honda/CBR150R.htm
j-motors.com.tw/moto/moto_in … &motorno=9 (Same company as first link, with a few different photos).

Joesax -
I actually fins myself liking that Honda. Nicely balanced looking and its a 4 stroke.

That one pictured in orange & black is wicked looking!

Damn TC now I’ll have bad dreams about an eagle ripping out my eyes again.
Re the way the 150 Hondas look - not only am I old but I’ve been packing
on the pounds since I came here (indolence) and I’d look real silly on a crotch rocket.
( Toy with the idea of googling a ‘kidney belt’ and finding a leathersmith. )
But the six gears sure caught my attention, I still shift into "sixth ’ sometimes,
and water cooled! The Dragfire pings like a geiger counter at Chernobyl
when I park it for the night.
I’ve got a picture of a Honda Nighthawk that looks good, but apparently they’re not sold here.

“Anyway, I think a stock 200cc Hartford would be good value, while a Hornet would be a lot more bike (quality and performance) at a lot more money.”

• Well there we are, “money” . If I were to quit drinking for a year I could afford … well the mind
    boggles.
    Instead I could take a stock Hartford, put on ape-hangers, ‘saddle bags’ and a custom seat and
    have a slightly bigger Dragfire.
    Which brings me - joesax- to your 15:19 post. This dead horse was beaten a long time
    ago, but what about “serious modifications”? I’ve thought about trucking my Dragfire
    back to Taipei and asking sandman to test drive it to see if it’s faded enough to justify a
    rebuild and rebore.
    The brother of a private student works at a supply shop that sells a
    lot of oversize piston sets, but she can’t get the concept of whether he thinks it’s a good
    idea conveyed to him. All I get is that mostly kids buy them, which for a small town is understandable.
    I’m not too good with the computer ( was taught how to use a slide rule in high school -
    "Teacher me! Teacher me! who knows what a slide rule is? " ) so I can’t really find a Dragfire
    website, but I think if I knew what Yamaha engine it was I might dig out some info on the
    idea of ‘jacking it up’.

[quote=“old canuck”]… but I think if I knew what Yamaha engine it was I might dig out some info on the
idea of ‘jacking it up’.[/quote]

When I was toying with the idea of upgrading my Dragfire, I was told by the Yamaha dealer that it is the same 147cc engine as the SR150 (愛將). It just has the faux cooling fins that make it look much bigger/different than the SR150.

I take that as a no!

I don’t think the Dragfire engine’s the same as the SR150 one.

[quote=“old canuck”]The brother of a private student works at a supply shop that sells a
lot of oversize piston sets, but she can’t get the concept of whether he thinks it’s a good
idea conveyed to him. All I get is that mostly kids buy them, which for a small town is understandable.
I’m not too good with the computer ( was taught how to use a slide rule in high school -
"Teacher me! Teacher me! who knows what a slide rule is? " ) so I can’t really find a Dragfire
website, but I think if I knew what Yamaha engine it was I might dig out some info on the
idea of ‘jacking it up’.[/quote]It’s possible I’m sure. But I wouldn’t get a small-town mechanic to do it for you. If it’s just a modest boost you want, you might find that changing the carb jets and muffler would do the trick. Work done to the engine itself can sometimes be finicky and unreliable, partly due to poor quality aftermarket parts.

joesax thanks for your continued reply.
After re-reading the Capt. Stag scenario and update,
I think I shouldn’t even ride a motocycle, let alone want to go faster.

I’ve sent another questionaire to the supply shop brother.

joesax is your Eric Lin still there? I’d settle for his evaluation.

[quote=“old canuck”]joesax thanks for your continued reply.
After re-reading the Capt. Stag scenario and update,
I think I shouldn’t even ride a motocycle, let alone want to go faster.

I’ve sent another questionaire to the supply shop brother.

joesax is your Eric Lin still there? I’d settle for his evaluation.[/quote]Eric’s still there at the same place in Taichung. But, while he has the ability to do modifications, he’s not terribly keen on it. I think that’s because it needs a fair bit of time to do a good job, and mechanics here don’t charge much for labour. Plus there’s the fact that it’s a bit of a grey area, and he wants his shop to look a cut above the regular scooter punk places.

I know another guy in Taichung who does that kind of stuff more readily. But are you sure you want to go to a mechanic in Taichung? The thing is, it might not be a simple case of dropping the bike off and picking it up later. Even with the best mechanics here, you often need to go back to get something tweaked. Are you anywhere near Zhongli? If so you could check out the shop that Mordeth wrote about here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 223#442223

Honestly, the best mod you could do to a Dragfire would be to lighten it as much as possible. The engine that’s in it is tuned for low to midrange torque, not for peak horsepower. I know a few people who have tried tuning the SR150 engine and the limiting factor there is that the ports and valves are too small, and the cam timing too mild. You simply aren’t going to gain much with bolt-on mods. The simple fact is that the bike was built to resemble a 250 and it is too heavy for the little 150cc engine in the thing. Simple solution: trade it for something that’s already lighter and quicker.

[quote=“redwagon”]Honestly, the best mod you could do to a Dragfire would be to lighten it as much as possible. The engine that’s in it is tuned for low to midrange torque, not for peak horsepower. I know a few people who have tried tuning the SR150 engine and the limiting factor there is that the ports and valves are too small, and the cam timing too mild. You simply aren’t going to gain much with bolt-on mods. The simple fact is that the bike was built to resemble a 250 and it is too heavy for the little 150cc engine in the thing. Simple solution: trade it for something that’s already lighter and quicker.[/quote]Is it the same engine as the SR150, then? I thought the Dragfire one was more powerful.

I’ve ridden an SR150 which had had a serious rebore – up to about 220cc I believe. That was nice. But I think it would be difficult to find a mechanic who would do that for a customer, and even more difficult to find one who would do it well.

The whole modification thing can be a real pain in general. Better, as you say, to get something that’s already lighter and quicker.

I wonder whether lowering the overall gearing on the Dragfire would make it feel better.

[quote=“joesax”]Is it the same engine as the SR150, then? I thought the Dragfire one was more powerful.

I’ve ridden an SR150 which had had a serious rebore – up to about 220cc I believe. That was nice. But I think it would be difficult to find a mechanic who would do that for a customer, and even more difficult to find one who would do it well.

The whole modification thing can be a real pain in general. Better, as you say, to get something that’s already lighter and quicker.

I wonder whether lowering the overall gearing on the Dragfire would make it feel better.[/quote]
It is the same basic engine. It may be in a slightly different state of tune but there isn’t much in it.

A 220cc big bore will improve the low and midrange some, but it won’t do any more up top. The ports and valves are already small for a 150 so it won’t have very good cylinder fill at high rpm.

Lower gearing will make almost any bike quicker. It’s up to the rider if he can live with the lower top speed or higher cruise rpm.

Having fun with the Venox - my sunny day bike.
Still use the Dragfire on rainy days, my second job is 10k away!

• Joesax, ol’ buddy, ol’ pal, ol’ friend of mine, I have a fundamental
    understanding of carburetors (I wouldn’t dismantle one), but I do
    recognize when they’re not quite right. I’ve had a local lad try his hand
    at making them sing in harmony to no avail.
  • To someone who lives in Taichung your directions make work well,
    but to a small town boy out in the country they’re too vague.
  • I would have just PM’ed you for the guy’s phone number, which is
    what I’m asking for, but I’m hoping to elicit carb tune stories!

Say while I’m here, i feel compelled to tell a tale.
My usual gas station air compresor is out of commission.
So I went to my alternate gas station. “Mayo!”
Third up I went to an unfamiliar gas station - right at closing time.

• With a lot of body English, pointing and squeezing the tire
    the guy grinned and waved for me to follow him. Not to the air hose,
    but he jumped on his scooter and led me back into town.
    He took me to a tire shop and before I could angle to the airline
    my new pal took off back to work.
    Laughter all around while the boss came out and pumped up
    my tire.
    “Hi-yo silver. Away!”
    Gawd, I love this place!

• Well except for the drivers that are trying to kill me!