I'm a Brit that wants to marry a Taiwanese citizen.need help

Hi there!
I was wandering if there are any british citizens out there that can give me some information on how to marry a Taiwanese citizen in Taiwan. It seems very complicated and I would appreciate any help.
First of all what do I need from the UK in terms of paper work. I understand that I need proof that I’m not married. And this has to be stamped and translated at the ROC mission in my country. Does anyone know where I can get this proof of marital status in the UK
Also, I read on the forum that I need a criminal record check, which must also be translated and checked. Does anyone know where I can go to get this?
Is there anything else I need from the UK?
Thanks, I would appreciate any info that you could give me!

What you need is to request a Criminal Record Check from a Police Station in the UK (I do not think it matters which one). I got my Dad to request mine, but I do not think it matters who does it. You need to ask for a check under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, Subject Access from the National Identification Service at New Scotland Yard. I seem to remember it costs about 20GBP. I believe by law they have to reply within 28 days.

You also require a letter from the General Register Office in Southport that states a search has been done and that you are not married. You can order this from the UK by phone on 0845 603 7788. Cannot remember how much it costs. You need to get records checked from when you were 16 until as close to present as possible. Sorry - cannot remember the cost.

Once you get these you need to get them both stamped by the British Foreign & Colonial Office in Westminster. It is just next to Admiralty Arch (see url below for map, address and charges) FCO London. This took about 30 minutes (according to my Mother). Once you have got this done then you need to take the documents to the TRO in London. This takes 2 days, but if you leave a SAE they will post it back to the required address in the UK. The link is at TRO London below, and a map is at TRO Map below.

THESE DOCUMENTS ARE ONLY VALID FOR 3 MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE.

This is what you will require (plus passport) to get married. When you are married ensure you get English Wedding Certificate copies (I suggest about 4 Chinese & 4 English). They may question the GRO letter and expect a copy of the Marriage “Letter Of Intent” (they had some copies of this when I went). Patiently explain that we do not have household registration in the UK, the “LoI” is just that, and is only issued for marriages in the UK and you should be fine. If that all fails then suggest that you sign an affidavit with a local lawyer to the fact you are single. This should cut the mustard!

When you have got this you will need a Visitor Visa (you cannot apply for a JFRV using a normal Landing Visa) - I got mine in Okinawa (no problems) - but I would avoid HK, Bangkok, Manila. If you are coming from the UK then get one there when you get the stamps done.

Then arrange to get the health check done - I went to Yangmin Hospital for mine - just a lot of walking around (don’t go no.2 the day you go else you will suffer like I did!).

You then need passport, a copy of all the pages, wedding certificate (original Chinese version), Spouse’s Household registration showing your name (your wife needs to get this done at the local office), passport photos, health check document and the CRC with stamps and take them to the MOFA/BOCA office (next to the Legislative Yuan) to apply for the JFRV. This takes 2-3 days (sigh!).

Then you need to take all this stuff (make sure you get photocopies done of everything - the form may say you do not need some items but believe me these civil servants are arseholes and spend all day looking for excuses why they cannot process applications) within 14 days to the FAP office near Main Station to apply for the ARC (make sure they give you a re-entry visa at the same time).

By the end of that you will want to kill somebody I can assure you. If you are not in Taipei then you need to find the local locations for the relevant offices in Taiwan.

Good Luck - and don’t let the b******s get you down!

FCO London http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1132596786876
TRO London http://www.tro-taiwan.roc.org.uk/dc/cvfor2.htm
TRO Map http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/London_maps_search.asp?postcode=SW1W+OEB&imageField.x=12&imageField.y=14

Brilliant bit of advice there old bean. I’m gonna print that off and keep it under my hat for the day I make MrsHill legit. :slight_smile:

If you were to marry in the UK you don’t need the proof of singleship (singleness ?), but you would need to get your marriage certificate translated at the Taiwan Trade Office in London.

Some of these things you don’t need to actually get married, that’s not quite so complicated, but you do need them for the residence visa.

Thanks for the info guys was very useful…I got to try and get this all sorted before I head back to Tw.

Bliss 77 it is a good point above about the residency thing. I mean you could just have a ceremony here if you don’t want to get the married visa. We plan to wed in Vegas next year and will probably neer legitimise the wedding in Taiwan…I mean why bother? When my work here runs out we will leave. :laughing:

Interesting stuff TonAng but i have 1 question: were you a UK resident when you did this search? Because all the information i find says that you have to be a resident for at least 3 weeks.

Thanks
Stuart

You don’t need a criminal record check to get married. Only a certificate of non-impediment, i.e. a “single certificate.” You can get this from a notary public or solicitor, either in person or by proxy through your parents. It needs to be sent to the ROC rep office in London together with a tenner and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

just to clear something up - and this is the certificate that will allow you to get married here yes?

On the taiwanese website it states you must be in the UK to apply and stay for 4 months?!?!?!?! I guess this info is wrong?

So if you just need that form - thats sweet - I can save the money for the tickets to guam!

S

The ONLY thing the Taiwanese authorities are good for is telling you what documents you need. Often they manage to fuck that up also – they’re not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
DO NOT rely on those halfwitted clowns to be able to tell you HOW to get those documents.
They want a certificate of non-impediment. Period.
They have absolutely no fucking clue about how a British person would obtain such a document. Nor do the utter incompetents who staff the British Trade Office or whatever its called. I was told the same 4-month crapola by both the Taiwanese morons and by the British buggerlugs a few years back. I finally spoke to the head of the BTCO who happened to be an acquaintance, and he divulged the dirty truth that the UK residence/personal application was a crock of shite and that all I needed to do was ask my dad to get a notarised letter and send it to the Taiwan rep office in London along with an addressed envelope and a little money.
Pity it didn’t cross his mind to pass that information on to his staff, but like I said – they’re not rocket scientists.

You’ve all missed the first, most important stage: find someone to marry.

All this info is useless otherwise. Silly.

The ONLY thing the Taiwanese authorities are good for is telling you what documents you need. Often they manage to fuck that up also – they’re not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
DO NOT rely on those halfwitted clowns to be able to tell you HOW to get those documents.
They want a certificate of non-impediment. Period.
They have absolutely no fucking clue about how a British person would obtain such a document. Nor do the utter incompetents who staff the British Trade Office or whatever its called. I was told the same 4-month crapola by both the Taiwanese morons and by the British buggerlugs a few years back. I finally spoke to the head of the BTCO who happened to be an acquaintance, and he divulged the dirty truth that the UK residence/personal application was a crock of shite and that all I needed to do was ask my dad to get a notarised letter and send it to the Taiwan rep office in London along with an addressed envelope and a little money.
Pity it didn’t cross his mind to pass that information on to his staff, but like I said – they’re not rocket scientists.[/quote]

ya i know the drill - i had to get my degree legalised, which was a palava … i dunno Im kind of a bit disappointed i dont have the excuse to elope to guam and then hold a “front” service here after… the idea had really grown on me =(

does mean we can afford to go to the uk and hold a ‘blessing’ though, which is nice

cheers for the info

I would check about the tenner to the Taipei rep office in London as last time I sent in paperwork she sent it back saying they cannot except cash through the post, only in person. Otherwise you have to send a postal order. Also for some reason down here in Tainan they still only except a subject access that can can now only be issued by scotland yard but you can download the form online. Which then has to be sent to the Taipei office in London to confirm its real which will cost you the tenner. Remember you also have to get stuff translated over here. I think I was lucky on the single thing as I got the Hong Kong Embassy to type one up.

Although Sandy Fan at the BTCO is leaving her job you might still get hold of her and she has some good examples of translations and what you need. Maybe you could try Stephen Taylor or Kim at the BTCO.

You really have to be careful about the 3 months expiry date. If you have no- one in Britain who can help your in trouble. If your using the post, do everything register mail so you have a timeline.

I really would like to know more about not needing a criminal record check( subject access ) as the office here keeps on saying you need it. Anything written anywhere making it look official?

You don’t need it to get married – I mean, anyone can get married, even rapists in prison.
You DO need it in order to apply for a JFRV (Joining Family Residence Visa).

As of a couple of years ago you should only need translations for documents not in Chinese or English. Did someone ask you for a translation of an English document recently?

This interests me A LOT:
“You don’t need a criminal record check to get married. Only a certificate of non-impediment, i.e. a “single certificate.” You can get this from a notary public or solicitor, either in person or by proxy through your parents. It needs to be sent to the ROC rep office in London together with a tenner and a self-addressed stamped envelope.”
Do you have any other info? My situation has a few other complications so the idea of a Notarized Statement appeals.
I am Living and working in Shanghai, married in UK 15 yrs ago, divorced my Brit X wife in Singapore 3 years ago. (apparently there is no mechanism to have this divorce recorded in the UK)
My fiancé is Taiwanese , also a divorcee, but at least she got that in Taiwan.
So if anyone has any more detail about what actually needs to be notarized I would be very grateful.

[quote=“bliss77”]Hi there!
I was wandering if there are any british citizens out there that can give me some information on how to marry a Taiwanese citizen in Taiwan. It seems very complicated and I would appreciate any help.
First of all what do I need from the UK in terms of paper work. I understand that I need proof that I’m not married. And this has to be stamped and translated at the ROC mission in my country. Does anyone know where I can get this proof of marital status in the UK
Also, I read on the forum that I need a criminal record check, which must also be translated and checked. Does anyone know where I can go to get this?
Is there anything else I need from the UK?
Thanks, I would appreciate any info that you could give me![/quote]

Pretty funny. I have a Taiwanese girl here who said "Click on THAT one’. Afterwhich I suggested that he’d probably already found the Taiwanese girl he planned to marry.

I’m beginning to think the GRO ‘hotline’ is just a big practical joke set up by the British government. I’ve been on hold now for a total of 15 hours over four working days and I’m ready to kill someone. WTF???

I’m still married and everywhere I have been accepts the Vegas marriage certificate as proof of that. UK embassy doesn’t want to know and we have no intention of settling in Taiwan. For the guy in Shanghai just do it as the Nike ads say. For everyone else get out of Taiwan while you still can! :smiling_imp:

Hello all,

I was just wondering if there has been any updates/changes to the marriage process in the past 12 months? I have read through all the info and advice in this section and am interested to know if there has been any changes made.

Many thanks