I'm all set, what next? (New school owner here)

I was not expecting all the discussion involving working permits and the legality of who is eligible to teaching or not. Maybe I posted here too early. Anyway, thank you everybody for the warm welcome.

3 Likes

He cannot legally teach owner or not without DOE approval.

Does DOE approve? not just register?

Since when? Open work rights has always been enough. There are no special qualifications for cram school teachers (outside of passing some criminal record checks).

1 Like

Since about 4 years ago.

Really? Under what law or regulation, do you know?

I can find out.

I never heard about it, and as far as I know you’re wrong, so if you (or someone else) could set me straight I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

I’d also be interested to know. Open work rights are no longer enough?

Very true. There is a vacant apartment same size as ours, not sure of condition, rent is half the mortgage payment. That’s my thing. Change jobs, don’t like neighbors, then as a renter you are free to go anywhere. So many people stress over mortgages when life could be so much easier.

4 Likes

The paid teaching hour rate seems to be very low here in Taiwan, compared with what I used to pay in Malaysia, and the living cost is really different a big gap.

We reach a number today, and also consulting with other schools, we got a number and I would like to ask the opinion of our friends here.

1. Entry-level: 400NTD per hour.
  2. Middle-level: 1200NTD per hour.
  3. Senior: 1500NTD per hour.

I need to emphasize, the schools will have a high level from education material to facilities.

Why would you jump from 400 to 1200?

3 Likes

If you’re hiring foreign teachers, the entry level pay should not be lower than 600 under any circumstance. Even Hess pays better than that.

2 Likes

Nobody at all will accept a job paying 400nt when you can walk into any shitty job that pays a minimu of 600.

2 Likes

I’m considering the ENTRY-LEVEL as without experience and need to receive training.

Sure, then they need to obtain experience first, otherwise they are free to choose whatever they want.

Nobody will pay more just because your native language is English, if you don’t have experience, and you need training to obtain this experience, that is what we might get for you.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about the English teaching market in Taiwan. :grin:

8 Likes

Hate to break it to you, but any (white person) with an English-language-country passport and a college (university) diploma is going to expect at least 600. Even the chain schools like Hess and Giraffe start their FOBs at ~620, though my understanding is most schools cap their max raise well before 1000. I know a few people who have made 1200 teaching corporate English, but that seems to be the max. (This is just from me poking around the web and talking to people. I’ve always worked in real schools since I’m a licensed teacher and they have much better job security. Though, from your middle and senior-level pay scale, they have much lower pay)

The other schools who suggested these numbers, are they your competition?

4 Likes

Anybody here will walk into a job at Hess or American Eagle that pays 600nt an hour minimum. Experience or not.

I did it. Zero experience teaching, I got a job at American Eagle almost immediately for 600nt an hour.

600 IS the entry, zero-experience level.

1 Like