I'm an acupuncturist (OMD) in Taipei

[quote=“joey0825”]Hi Dr Jellyfish,

Thanks for your reply. The whole theory of meridian and collateral came from ancient times, when Chinese ancestors accidentally found that when they feel some sort of muscle pain or discomfort, they use rocks or stones to press on some part of the body, and the pain/symptoms relieved. This is just the beginning. And then they begin to do that again and again to treat some pain or diseases. Through hundreds of years, they found that some point is connected with others, that’s when the meridian in formed. Later they found that they can do more than just using stone to massage, they develop needles. Here’s nine different kinds of needles used in ancient times: 202.204.41.207/UploadFiles/Artic … 292451.jpg Althought I don’t know the detail of how they think of this idea, it must be very interesting. And in ancient times, they’re in a farmer society, they don’t have so many things (cell phone, lap top, video game, radio, TV, movies,etc.) that disturb them from observing their own body. They can feel some qi floating in their body (People who never concentrate on observing their own body might not feel the qi, sometimes average people can feel some imbalance qi distribution in their body.) and they can train themselves to manage the qi. A very simple example: when we get angry, our face turns red, which means the qi goes up to your face. It’s always qi before blood. Without qi, the blood will not be able to flow, without blood, the qi has no objective to push. (You could briefly regard qi as an energy) Get angry is an apparent example, there’s some qi flow that’s not so apparent that can cause some diseases.

It’s not practical for me to type all the theories of Traditional Chinese medicine in this forum, that would take too much time and I might not be able to write it clearer then some English TCM textbook. However, if you’re interested in TCM, you could google them and discuss with me, I’d be glad to do some discussion when I get off work.

I believe the intelligence of ancient people is no less then us. Although they don’t have high technology, they do create some marvelous things such as calendar system, astronomy, traditional medicine and so on. Although some are proven wrong or out of time in nowadays, the essence of these creation is still amazing. I hope my reply answer your questions. Thanks again for your reply!

Hi joey0825,

Thanks for taking the time to fill me in with some of the theory as to how acupuncture and the concepts of qi and meridians got started. I know I mentioned “science-fiction”, but I wasn’t being disrespectful, I’m just in awe that something so seemingly advanced could have come from such an ancient time. If someone told me that little green men (or women) crashed in China a few thousand years ago and some how passed on this knowledge, I might half believe them. But I’d also agree that there were people as intelligent as modern day humans a long time ago, and that your explanation is a lot more plausible.

It’s funny you mention the rubbing of rocks on parts of the body. I traveled to Peru about 12 years ago and at Cuzco I saw that they used rocks with chiseled points for alleviating pain. You could even buy them in souvenir stalls. The idea is that you just massage them into wherever aches (which at 3000 m above sea-level is pretty much your whole body).

Again, thanks for your expert knowledge on this. It’s not often that you get the chance to chat with someone who can describe the mysterious and ancient ways of TCM in English. When I did my MA in translating, the lecturers would often throw us difficult texts at us just to demonstrate the fact that being fluent/proficient in two languages isn’t enough to be able to translate anything - and that we should never attempt in the real world. Nothing quite demonstrated this as well as TCM texts.

NCCAOM has launched a Youtube channel recently and they posted 3 video from a video contest in celebration of AOM Day .

October 24, 2014 - AOM Day is here!
On this remarkable day, practitioners across the globe are celebrating this amazing medicine.
HAPPY AOM DAY to all of you and thank you.

The AOM Day “Because It Works” video contest was a delightful experience. You have been awaiting the results and the votes are in, the winners have been chosen. A special thank you to all of you who participated by producing a video, ‘voting’ or ‘sharing’.

The winners of the 2014 Because It Works video contest are:

Third place: Tiffany Chiu with “Acupuncture works!”
youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZKBZONzT8

Second place: Robin Green with “Acupuncture works for kids”.
youtube.com/watch?v=xKlhtLsNEvU

First place: Guan-Yan Jin with “Ace Your Tennis Game with Acupuncture”.
youtube.com/watch?v=iXLy1qwQ-6w

Last but not least, here’s some patient testimonials:
aomday.org/testimonials.html

The weather is getting colder, keep warm!

Hello Everyone,

I just made a map so that it’ll be easier for you guys to come.

Neihu main Facility Address: No.325, Sec. 2, Chenggong Rd., Taipei City ( Map: ppt.cc/bDus )
Tingchou Branch address: No.40, Sec. 3, Tingchou Rd., Taipei City (Map: ppt.cc/UVtV )
Bus information: 5284.com.tw/Dybus.aspx?Lang=En
wwwu.tsgh.ndmctsgh.edu.tw/GADP/NEWS/bus.pdf

If you ride a scooter, you’ll have to park in the scooter parking lot on the right side when you enter the gate of the hospital on Chenggong Rd. It’s $20 parking fee.

If you drive a car, you could park on 1st floor outdoor parking lot or B2 floor indoor parking lot. It’s $40 per hour parking fee. Just follw the sign when you drive in.

Happy Halloween!

The 17th International Congress of Oriental Medicine (ICOM) is going to be held during November 1-3, 2014 in Taipei, Taiwan.
See details here: icomtw2014.nricm.edu.tw/index.php

I would personally recommend this lecture if you’re interested in this field.
10:35~11:25 Nov.2nd, 2014
Lecturer: Academician Yung-Chi Chen 鄭永齊 院士 Yale University School of Medicine, U.S.A.
Topic: Opportunity and Challenge of Chinese Medicine to Meet Unmet Global Health Needs

I split the recent debate on the effectiveness of Chinese medicine here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9#p1648388

Thanks Tempo Gain!

Joey0825 - Thanks for your information.
Do you have any idea on how much it would cost a person without a Jianbao card to consult you at the Tri-service hospital?

[quote=“kitkat”]Thanks Tempo Gain!

Joey0825 - Thanks for your information.
Do you have any idea on how much it would cost a person without a Jianbao card to consult you at the Tri-service hospital?[/quote]

Thank you kitkat for your earlier reply, which is very supportive and make me feel better about my spending time posting here. As for your question, about a month ago, I prescribed some herbal medicine powder for my father and he forget to bring his Jianbao card, so he paid the bill self-paid and it costs about $800-900 NTD for the visit and one week herbal medicine powders. He brought the card back in 10 days and he get refund $600. For acupuncture only, I think it’ll be no more than $1,000, maybe 600-800 NTD, according to the treatment (electric needle,distant infrared acupuncture apparatus). This number is not very precise but I think it should be close.

Last week, an American male came to my clinic to give acupuncture a try. He came to Taiwan for visiting his friend who lives in Taipei and they came to TSGH to try acupuncture and herbal medicine. He’s not ill, just feel stressful. I believe he now knows more about how TCM might work to make a difference. If you’ve never experienced acupuncture and you’re willing to give it a shot, feel free to come. You’ll be charged only $600 NTD for acupuncture, which is about a quarter of the price in western countries, if you’re not with National Health Insurance. If your friends come to visit you in Taipei, “experiencing acupuncture or herbal medicine” might also be a good experience for their trip to Taiwan. :slight_smile:

Hepatogastroenterology. 2008 Mar-Apr;55(82-83):467-70.
Patterns of traditional Chinese medicine use in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a population study in Taiwan.

I see this citation in the morning meeting today about the topic: Ulcerative Colitis
You might also be interested in how Taiwanese use TCM
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18613389

Abstract
BACKGROUND/AIMS:
Many researchers have reported on the utilization of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The aim of this study was to investigate the use of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) by all IBD patients within the National Health Insurance in Taiwan.

METHODOLOGY:
The complete ambulatory visits records of TCM in 2004 were obtained from the National Health Insurance Research Database. For all IBD patients identified from the registry for catastrophic illness patients, patterns of TCM visits were analyzed.

RESULTS:
The prevalence of IBD in Taiwan was 5.6 per 100,000 persons at the end of 2004. Of 1,206 IBD patients, 440 (37%) patients have in total 3,169 TCM visits in 2004. Women were more likely to use TCM than men (40.5% vs. 34.3%). Among the TCM users of the IBD patients, 200 (45.5%) patients had gastroenterological diagnoses at their TCM visits. Most of their TCM visits contained herbal remedies (90%), followed by manual therapy (11.7%) and acupuncture (9.8%).

CONCLUSIONS:
The high utilization rate of TCM among the IBD patients in Taiwan implied that their needs of medical care were not satisfied by the mainstream Western medicine. The TCM herbal regimens deserve further studies.

A new friend on internet asked me something about treating female infertility with acupuncture. Here’s my reply.

Lots of Taiwanese couples who suffer from infertility turn to TCM for help, especially those who have already done all the examination and find no organic problem or those who have difficulty keeping the fetus after IVF (In vitro fertilisation). BTW, It’s a huge market because patients are willing to pay out of pocket. Ask any of your Taiwanese friends about infertilty “不孕”, most of them would think of TCM “中醫”. Usually, the problem in men is easy to identify, so here we mainly focus on the problem in women.

Remember, there is no difference between TCM and modern medicine when it comes to gathering information from patient, because the patient is right there and there can be only one truth. However, the language TCM use to describe and explain the symptom and sign is different, as well as the tool we have to diagnosis and to treat. We need to focus on what really happen in women’s body. The sonography, CT might tells you because there’s a teratoma in ovary, endometriosis or adenomyosis, blood test might shows hormone imbalance, etc. If the cause of infertility is organic, it’s not too hard to prescribe herbal medicine to treat. It might take some time to treat if it’s not indicated for surgery. The main thing we could do with TCM is to make the qi and blood flow fluently in the dysfunction organ. If it’s lack of qi and blood, we supply. If it’s stagnated, we dredge. If the cause is not organic, we’ll have to adjust the body constitution to make the environment comfortable for fetus, such as “warm” the uterus. Usually we will prescribe some herbal medicine (decoction is more effective), some doctors will use both herbal medicine and acupuncture.

Ancient Chinese develop a meridian theory for the guide of using acupuncture. Imagine that the acupoints are like small lakes and the meridians are like rivers that connecting these lakes. Our body organs are way more bigger lakes. The main function of acupoints are to adjust the water (qi & blood) level of organs. There are 12 main streams that connecting the 12 important organs. The main function of acupuncture is “引此注彼”, which means “guide the water here to pour over there.” So what acupuncture really does is to guide the qi (& blood) from where qi is sufficient to the place where qi is insufficient. For example, we will do acupuncture on the acupoints that can bring more qi and blood to uterus, if the diagnosis is qi and blood deficiency in uterus. There’s other function of other acupoints that can “dispell heat”, “dissolve sputum and stagnation”,etc. It really depends on the diagnosis to select acupoints. Usually, with a couple of months herbal medicine treatment, some patients will conceive naturally. However, it depends on the cause of infertility, it needs expertise to do proper treatment.

My clinic section will change in 2015 to follows:

Tue. 08:30-12:00 Neihu Clinic 176
Tue. 14:00-17:00 Tingchou Clinic 220
Thu. 14:00-17:00 Neihu Clinic 162
Fri. 14:00-17:00 Neihu Clinic 176

If you have any question about health or TCM, feel free to ask me online or in person.

Here’s something interesting: Executive Summary Descriptive Demographic and Clinical Practice Profile NCCAOM 2013 Job Analysis
nccaom.org/wp-content/upload … alysis.pdf
Take a look!

This is exactly the Chinese medical herbal powder, produced by the company called 順天堂(Sun-ten), we use in TSGH.
Take a look at this video from Discovery Channel.
youtube.com/watch?v=QciuyQNXlN8
Here’s the website of Sun-ten pharmaceutical company: suntenglobal.com/news/show.php?ID=645

[color=#0000FF]Rodgers on calf: “I have 120 minutes left in me” [/color] ppt.cc/G-HT
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was available to the media in the Lambeau Field following the Packers’ 26-21 over the Cowboys on Sunday, January 11.
This is awesome! He gives a shout out to his ACUPUNCTURIST (at min 1:35).
More and more professional athletes are realizing the amazing power of this simple yet effective medicine.

A Taiwanese mother and her daughter have been visiting my clinic in TSGH twice a week since January 8th, 2015. They’ve been living in New York city for decades. They told me the charge for acupuncture is [color=#0000FF]$120[/color] USD per visit in NYC. Surprisingly, in Taiwan, it’s only [color=#0000FF]$20[/color] USD if you pay out of pocket and only[color=#0000FF] $5[/color] USD if you’re with National Health Insurance. They realize how cheap it is to receive acupuncture in Taiwan than in NYC, that’s part of the reason why they came back to do acupuncture twice a week during their 40 days stay in Taiwan. The main reason is, they feel a lot better after acupuncture. The daughter dance a lot (15 years) and sprain her ankle. The mother do a lot of house chore and hurt her hands (De Quervain syndrome). I’ve been treating a lot of Taiwanese coming back from all over the world (most of them from US). Since it’s relatively cheap in Taiwan and seems to be effective, why not give it a shot?

A lovely young couple came to my clinic room in Tingchou branch this Tuesday in the afternoon. Although it was raining, they took MRT to Gongguan (Exit 4) and walk 5 minutes to TSGH Tingchou branch. They didn’t have any discomfort, not really. After one and a half year living in Taiwan, they came here to try acupuncture before moving back to US. I chatted with them and took their medical history. For the husband, I used electro-acupuncture on his nape and four limbs and cupping on the lower back. For the wife, since she felt a little bit soreness on the right shoulder, scapula and wrist because of carrying heavy backpack for a long time. I inserted some acupuncture needles on these region and the passing by meridian and other acupoints. After 15 minutes, the nurse pulled out the needles and cups. It’s my pleasure to have them experienced acupuncture, they loved it! I can practice taking history in English,too. I also enjoy making friends with foreigners, I hope one day I can go abroad to practice TCM.

We had a consultation from Western medicine inpatient ward last week. Normally, we have 50-70 consultations every month in TSGH. It was a 70 year old male who suffer from hiccup for 8 days. He is a colon cancer patient status post chemotherapy and radiotherapy. This time, he was admitted due to 24/7 hiccup. The western medicine doctors ordered all the exams they could possibly done and nothing except some bowel gas was found. And the drugs didn’t seem to be effective. Patient still suffer from nonstop hiccup after treatment for a week. So they consulted Chinese medicine department for relieving his hiccup. After evaluating the patient’s condition, we use acupuncture and moxibustion on the abdomen (3 needles) and both legs (4 needles). Three times a week (Last Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Last Tuesday, the hiccup stopped for three hours while he’s sleeping. We began to prescribe some herbal medicine since last Wednesday. Last Friday, the patient stopped hiccup shortly after the acupuncture and moxibustion. When we visited him on this Monday(yesterday), he said he’s free of hiccup for the whole weekend. He had some good quality sleep for the weekend. We’re amazed by the effectiveness of acupuncture. The traditional Chinese medicine theories that guid us to use acupuncture and herbal medicine are proved to be effective by our daily practice. Just a clinical experience, sharing here with you.

That sounds like a pretty bad case of the hiccups! Good to hear you helped him get rid of them. Must have been super annoying.

Thanks rocky raccoon for your reply. The patient was discharged this Friday morning, we prescribed a week herbal medicine for him and schedule an appointment in next week. Although we stayed humble and didn’t want to take full credit, he and his wife thanks us for solving his hiccup problem. We believe that the nerve system which controls GI system is so complicated that even with nowaday technology, some mechanism still can’t be fully understood. However, in the TCM theory, there’s something we think might be the problem and we treated the patient according to our hypathosis. Thankfully, the result seems to prove that our hypothesis is correct. We’re also very excited and encouraged.

Recently, I do a little calculaiton and review the patients I’ve treated.
There were 2,391 person-time visits in 2014.
Approximately 1/3 of them took only Chinese herbal medicine, 1/3 for acupuncture only, 1/3 receive both acupuncture and herbal medicine. Below are the main discomfort they came for help, you’ll know better about the situation when Taiwanese turn to TCM for help.

[color=#0000FF]The most frequent chief complaints are: [/color]common cold, cough, allergic rhinitis, GI disorder (constipation, diarrhea, GERD, stomachache, abdomenal distension), asthma, chest pain/tightness, menstrual disorder, dysmenorrhea, acne, insomnia, neck stiffness, back and low back pain, sciatica, joint pain, muscle soreness, trigger finger, stroke (stable), facial palsy, headache, dizziness, cold limbs, fatigue, pruritus, DM, HTN, sjogren’s’ syndrome, anemia, etc.

[color=#0000FF]Other less frequent chief complaints are:[/color] gray hair, MDD, herpes zoster, to lose weight, to increase height (teenagers), lack of breast milk, brest enlargement,early ejaculation, foamy urine, bad breath, carpal tunnel syndrome, patella femoral syndrome, DeQuervain’s syndrome, cancer adjuvant therapy ( However, senior TCM doctors see lots of cancer patients).

I feel blessed, grateful and proud to be a TCM doctor since I love to solve all kinds of physical and mental problems for patients. The most important thing is, I believe patients are the best teachers and I did learn a lot from them. I am in my early thirties and I’ll keep learning more and more, refining my medical expertise as well as the way communicating with patients and their family. This is indeed the best job in the world!