I'm an acupuncturist (OMD) in Taipei

Dear jmw123,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m glad that your family members are getting better. I know Dr. Liu who used to teach us in China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan. He now practices in California. Here’s the info of his clinic.

Fa Da Yi Wang Acupuncture
Dr. Ding-ming Liou
Address: 43480 Mission Blvd #250,Fremont CA 94539 ,USA
TEL: 1-408-4385668
Email: fadayiwang@gmail.com
%E5%9C%96%E7%89%871

Dear Carlos chichihuil,

I’m happy to know that your family loves TCM and benefits from TCM. I do know a TCM doctor, who is also my classmate, that practices acupuncture in Tainan. Here’s the clinic he works for:
Nature Chinese Medicine Clinic
Dr. Hsing-hao Huang (Male, there’s another female Dr. Huang)
Address: No.1, Ln. 112, Sec. 2, Datong Rd., South Dist., Tainan City 702, Taiwan
Tel: (06)215-0666
Email: febist@gmail.com

42204366_2123910717619729_3537543005827235840_n

It’s only 6-7 minutes drive from NCKU. Very convenient for you to get there.
Let me know if you have further questions or if there’s anything I can help.

1 Like

Anyone interested in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda?

1 Like

2018_Oct

Update my clinic hours in October and I wrote an article in Mandarin about treating GERD with TCM. Take a look if you can read Mandarin. I’m also happy to see that more and more foreigners have become more willing to try herbal medicine even if they don’t like the flavor of the herbal powder. I would say it’s a must try if you visit Taiwan or stay in Taiwan.

火燒心看中醫 三軍總醫院中醫部 謝宗運醫師 撰文

在現代人忙碌的生活中,您是否也曾感受過「火燒心」一般的胸口灼熱或胸悶感?嚴重時甚至會嘔吐酸水?

其實不是有火在燒,而是您的胃酸從胃向上逆流,刺激食道所引起的!這就是門診常見的「胃食道逆流」(Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)、或稱「泛酸」。

根據統計,每四個台灣人就有一個會發生這樣的症狀,好發因子包括男性、抽菸、喝酒、肥胖等等,且近年有年輕化趨勢。主要源自於生活上的壓力與不良的飲食習慣所導致。胃食道逆流的診斷,從患者的臨床表現就能確診,然而仍須排除感染或藥物引起的食道炎、食道運動功能障礙、消化道潰瘍與冠狀動脈疾病等等。

中醫認為胃氣在正常的情況應該要往下降,但當胃受到其他臟腑或外來的刺激而使得胃氣不降反升,此時就會出現胃食道逆流的症狀,如果沒有適當調理,許多人會出現長期乾咳的症狀,甚至是部分食道癌的成因。在確診為胃食道逆流的病人中有三分之一接受胃鏡檢查會查出食道潰瘍,且許多沒有症狀的人在定期健檢接受胃鏡檢查時也會發現程度不等的食道潰瘍。

中醫除了使用「和胃降氣」的中藥來調理,也會教導患者做「健胃功」來幫助腸胃氣機的條暢。患者本身也可以藉由飲食習慣的調整:先喝湯再吃固體食物、少吃油膩食物、每餐只吃七分飽、睡前兩個小時不進食、戒菸、戒酒、維持正常體重、適度調節生活與工作的壓力,來減緩症狀。

試試看這些方法,胃氣就可以順利和降喔!

20181014_163638

TCM Health Promotion Exercises

We have been conducting a series of studies, sponsored by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, on TCM health promotion by teaching the general public to do some Tao-yin exercises. This photo was taken last Sunday when we had a wrap-up presentation for all the participants.

Please refer to these three Youtube videos filmed by the Taiwan Society of Health Promotion, where I now serve as Deputy Secretary-General, for the details:

After practicing each of these Tao-yin exercises for two months, the result all show that the blood pressure and the quality of life, the quality of sleep are statistically significantly better. What’s more, when we use BCQ (Body Constitution Questionaire, including BCQ+, BCQ-) to evaluate the body constitution of the participants, the result also shows that the Yin-deficiency, Yang-deficiency and Stasis can be corrected to normal body constitution by practicing these Tao-yin exercises for two months.

As prevention is more important than treatment, we believe it is our first priority for TCM doctors to educate general public/family & friends/patients to strengthen our body and avoid being sick. And it works!

Want to stay healthy? These exercises are not so complicated and can be practiced at home at all weather conditions.

Why not join us and give it a try!

1 Like

2018_Nov

New clinic section in the evening: Every Thursday 6-9 pm
Starting November 1st !

An acupuncturist friend of mine coming from the U.S. last week. She came with her husband who has a meeting in Taiwan and she’s happy to have the chance to see how we practice TCM in the medical center in Taiwan. She shadowed me on Friday in the afternoon and today in the morning at our TCM outpatient department. We also went to see inpatient consultation and visited our TCM pharmacy. She chatted with my intern and I’m glad that he managed to explain in English what he has learned to her. I love this kind of interaction and exchange of experiences. You are more than welcome to come! :smile:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Photo credit: Medscape Gastroenterology

I delivered a lecture to our interns and residents on the topic “Irritable Bowel Syndrome” earlier this month.

There’s an article published on JAMA, using herbal medicine to treat IBS tewnty years ago.

JAMA . 1998 Nov 11;280(18):1585-9.
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with Chinese herbal medicine: a randomized controlled trial.
Bensoussan A, Talley NJ, Hing M, Menzies R, Guo A, Ngu M.
CONCLUSION: Chinese herbal formulations appear to offer improvement in symptoms for some patients with IBS.

There are MANY systemic review articles on treating IBS with herbal medicine.

PLoS One . 2017 Dec 18;12(12):e0189491. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0189491. eCollection 2017.
Systematic review and meta-analysis of traditional Chinese medicine in the treatment of constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome.
Li DY, Dai YK, Zhang YZ, Huang MX, Li RL, Ou-Yang J, Chen WJ, Hu L.
CONCLUSION: TCM showed greater improvement in terms of clinical efficacy in the treatment of IBS-C than cisapride and mosapride, although it was not possible to draw a definitive conclusion due to the small sample size, high risk, and low quality of the studies. Large multi-center and long-term high-quality randomized control trials are needed.

Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:4071260. doi: 10.1155/2016/4071260. Epub 2016 Jul 31.
Efficacy of Chinese Herbal Medicine for Diarrhea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trials.
Zhu JJ, Liu S, Su XL, Wang ZS, Guo Y, Li YJ, Yang Y, Hou LW, Wang QG, Wei RH, Yang JQ, Wei W.
CONCLUSION: This meta-analysis shows that Chinese herbal medicine is an effective and safe treatment for D-IBS. However, due to the small sample size and high heterogeneity, further studies are required.

Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Nov;13(11):1946-54.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2015.06.022. Epub 2015 Jun 29.
Efficacy of a Chinese Herbal Medicine in Providing Adequate Relief of Constipation-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Bensoussan A, Kellow JE, Bourchier SJ, Fahey P, Shim L, Malcolm A, Boyce P.
CONCLUSION: In a prospective, controlled study, CHM reduced symptoms of IBS-C, increased bowel satisfaction and stool consistency, and reduced straining and hard lumpy stools, compared with placebo

In our daily practice , the use of Chinese herbal medicine is quite effective in treating IBS in all types, including constipation, diarrhea and mix. We would evaluate the causes of IBS as well as patients’ body constitution and then prescribe some herbs to tonify the Qi of the digestive system so that it can function normally. Herbal medicines are usually more natural and harmless. Sometimes we also add acupuncture to treat IBS.

Although IBS is not a very serious illness, it does affect patients’ quality of life and is the second highest cause of work absenteeism. (The highest is common cold.) Why not give TCM a try?

Some patients from other countries come to see me while their spouse works in Taiwan. During their short period of time staying in Taiwan, they visited me 1-3 times a week and their symptoms have relieved by acupuncture and/or herbal medicine. I am so glad that TCM works for them.

I hope people from all over the world can visit Taiwan more often, which is one of the reasons why I started this thread in order to promote TCM to foreigners. It is so much fun to meet new friends/patients from other countries. Of all seven continents, I’ve seen patients from five of them except Africa and Antartica. Maybe I will see them soon!

Dr Joey,
Translation question from my boss.
Whats the proper English name for cupping therapy?
Is it technically part of acupressure?
Thanks buddy

Hi Rocket,

Cupping therapy is the formal English term for this therapy.
It is officially called 拔罐 in Chinese, which means local suction with a cup on the skin. It is related to the theory of meridian and acupoints.

What Is Cupping? Here’s What You Need to Know

Photo credit: Login • Instagram

Photo credit: Login • Instagram

In our daily practice, we do use cupping to help patients with all kinds of problems, especially stiff neck & shoulder or upper back problem since it might be dangerous to insert needles on the upper back. However, the acupoints on scapula are very safe. Cupping covers a larger part of the body than acupuncture and it can be very helpful if the patients’ symptom is indicated.

Here are some peer-reviewed articles regarding Cupping therapy.

Cupping Therapy: An Overview from a Modern Medicine Perspective
Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies
June 2018, Pages 83-87 Open Access

Cupping therapy: An analysis of the effects of suction on skin and the possible influence on human health.
Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2017 Nov;29:162-168. Epub 2017 Sep 14.

Cupping therapy and chronic back pain: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2018 Nov 14;26:e3094.

Wet-Cupping Is Effective on Persistent Nonspecific Low Back Pain: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Chin J Integr Med. 2018 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]

Thanks for your question, I’d be glad to answer any questions regarding TCM or health.

4 Likes

Thanks Doc Joey, you’re the man

1 Like

2019_Jan

I will start a new clinic section at Chander Clinic (全德中醫診所) near National Taiwan Normal University (師大) on Wednesday in the evening . For other time, I will still be practicing TCM in National Defense Medical Center Tri-service General Hospital.

If you live near NTNU, feel free to come on Wednesday in the evening!

New Patient Please Contact: joey0825@gmail.com
Neihu Main Facility Google Map
Tingchou Branch Google Map
ChanDer Clinic Google Map

Wow, I haven’t updated my clinical hours for nearly half a year. Thanks to Forumosa, some foreigners in Taipei came to my clinic to try acupuncture and herbal medicine. Some TCM doctors and people who are interested in TCM came to Taiwan for sightseeing or business trip and have a chat with me because of the articles they found on Forumosa. We are going to host an exchange medical student from Russia for his/her clerkship in our department at Tri-service General Hospital. We now have 5 visiting staff, 9 residents and 7 interns in our department.

Besides daily clinical practice, I also join “Taiwan Society of Health Promotion” to teach patients and the general public how to maintain good health through Tao-yin. Please subscribe to our Youtube channel and share with your family and friends if you find these exercise helpful.

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

2019%20Aug

The Russian exchange medical student just left Taiwan. We will host 5 European dentist students for a brief Traditional Chinese medicine introduction and clinical observation. What’s more, I just got an email from a U.S. physician who wants to fly to Taiwan to learn acupuncture. An acupuncturist from NYC is also coming this month to Taipei. Thank you Forumosa for connecting us. It is always my pleasure to meet with new friends from all over the world. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Wow, I can’t believe I haven’t posted here for more than half a year. I miss Forumosa! I will try to spend more time answering questions posted here about health care in Taiwan.

A new foreign patient came today, telling me that she sees the passion I have with TCM from the replies I posted here many years ago. Haha, I am still very passionate, :heart_eyes: just that I don’t have too much time now. Thanks again to Forumosa, I get to promote TCM to foreigners in Taipei. Thankfully, I would humbly say that most of the foreign patients are quite satisfied with the result, I would also give credit to their patience and their will to cooperate with me to help themselves.

I had a new clinic session starting this month:

Wednesday Evening 6-8pm @ TSGH Tingchou branch
Close to NTU, NTNU

You can also visit my blog to see other clinic sessions.
Thank you!

New Patient Please Contact: joey0825@gmail.com
TSGH Neihu Main Facility Google Map
TSGH Tingchou Branch Google Map

3 Likes

The COVID-19 pandemic has overtaken the global news cycle, and the Chinese Medical Advancement Foundation would like to share this briefer on Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and how to use its concepts to keep yourself and your family prepared during this outbreak.

We have treated some covid-19 patients with herbal medicine at Tri-service General Hospital in Neihu during April-May. Here’s a English press conference video.
If you can understand Mandarin, please watch this one and this one

Dr. Su, Yi-Chang is the Director of National Research Institute of Chinese Medicine, Ministry of Health and Welfare.

They not only conducted clinical studies but also checked the molecular biological mechanism of the treatment effect. I believe there will be articles published and patent application soon.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I got admitted to this Ph.D. program: Graduate Institute of Life Science at the National Defense Medical Center. The school will begin in September 2021.

Since I worked at Tri-service General Hospital, it is super convenient for me to go to school literally next door. I will focus on clinical TCM research and hopefully, I can graduate in the near future.

4 Likes

Great news, @joey0825. Good luck with your research.

1 Like

I just saw this Youtube video introducing Traditional Chinese Medicine. Share with you!

【在台灣的美國中醫師】:herb: 神奇又有效的常用中藥介紹!Why did an American choose to study Chinese Medicine?

Here’s more info on NRICM101 we used at many hospitals in Taiwan to treat covid-19 patients.

A traditional Chinese medicine formula NRICM101 to target COVID-19 through multiple pathways: A bedside-to-bench study

Development of NRICM101 - A Novel Anti-COVID-19 TCM Therapy

FUTEX2021-Conference:Anti COVID 19 TCM- NRICM101