I'm done with this site for a while - User experience is terrible

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I always use the validation sites:
jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
and validator.w3.org/
for my stuff, but I just do really simple things.
I know how mike029 feels, I can’t use the site at work.[/quote]
Well, shouldn’t you be working instead of surfing? No wonder foreigners get such a bad rep around here. :unamused:[/quote]
I’m a rebel.

Are you refering to me? Unfortunately I got a very big skin so personal insults never work.

[quote=“mike029”]
485 errors is not “a 485 error” it is “485 errors in the code”.[/quote]
Based on what? Some validator? Please be more precise.

[quote=“mike029”]
I don’t care if Forumosa makes money or not from Tapatalk. I still don’t want to pay for it because someone is lazy and just wants to install a tapatalk extension and call it a day.[/quote]
I don’t get your point here. Nobody forces you to use Tapatalk. Its just supported, thats all. Can’t help you with your money problems either.

[quote=“mike029”]
The page jumps because of the link for google+. The button loads an arbitrary size for itself then after it loads the button graphic it readjusts its size, so the page “clicks” after the button loads. I told them to just set a size for the element holding the button so it won’t “click” anymore and gave them the code months ago.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0&t=107883
[/quote] Nobody does this site as a full time job. Issues (especially if cosmetic) easily get low priority or no priority at all. Thanks for pointing out the issue again.

So you should understand the HTTPS issue easily and that Forumosa can not make all linked content as https.

[quote=“mike029”]
As far as reproducing the db errors…the point is that they are random and frequent. Can’t really recreate it.
[/quote]OK. Take a screenshot next time.

Its just a suggestion if you don’t like the formatting. Cause many people are fine with it.
For HTTPS I already explained the issue.

[quote=“mike029”]
engerim, stop making stupid excuses and just admit the site has problems that can easily be fixed.[/quote]
I wasn’t making any excuses. If you could refrain from personal attacks while working out your problems it would be much easier.
Why should I do something for people that insult me? Sorry but I’m not stupid enough for that.

Three pages and counting. That’s a lot of replies for someone who’s done with the site.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I always use the validation sites:
and validator.w3.org/
There isn’t any major site that doesn’t show “errors” if you use those validators.
Even validating w3.org will give you 66 errors :laughing:
The errors for Forumosa are many but many of them are repetitive errors, i.e. “Same colors for color and background-color in two context”.
I guess the “parse errors” are the worst. Certainly the site is not clean. But thats not because of bad design but mainly due to it grew during the years.
If there are major issues (and the reporting person isn’t behaving like a dick). I’m very happy to look into it. I’m just too busy in real life otherwise.

Engirem’s response just sealed the deal. It’s not acceptable to insult your users, even if they are being rude to you. They aren’t my problems, they are yours. Learn proper web design or hire someone that can. End of story. Add me to the massive list of people who shudder and scowl when they hear the word ‘forumosa’.

Paying someone to get this site running better would be a good thing to do. Mike’s analogy of the highway is good.

I like this site for what is brings people, but it really is rickety as hell. I know it’s not anyones full-time job and everyone who moderates or runs the site seem swell to me.

But the site needs a major-ass re-haul THE WAY Mike is telling you to. It will benefit the site immensely and bring more joy to the world.

Really? I learned if you run a business the nice thing is that you can choose your customers. Nobody insulted you, its you that calls people stupid. Good-bye then!

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I always use the validation sites:
and validator.w3.org/
Well, shouldn’t you be working instead of surfing? No wonder foreigners get such a bad rep around here. :unamused:[/quote]

If you had to do what we have to do, you’ll understand the need for a breather once in a while. If I could download stuff at work, I’d be moderator. :laughing:

So, what do we need for the upgrade? Are we going to do a “one hundred nt march” to finance the upgrade? Now, are you technical guys sure you can fix this issue the way Mike proposes? Or is it going to be like going to the mechanic and not finding the right spares? Will everyone bear the necessary downtime for repairs or grumble the weeks it takes to fiddle with all the screws and polish the ends?

Hi mike029 - I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with the website. A lot could certainly be done, and it’s great that you have even offered code to fix it.

There is a lot of change in the works at Forumosa. Take that break and let’s see if we can get you to come back then.

Maybe the site is microagressing you?

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato

I think this used to be in maoman’s sig line. I have always found it to rank right up with the Golden Rule in my personal Ways To Conduct Life.

Nobody but mike knows the source of mike’s anger. To me he sounds like an over-worked underpaid coder; that’s where I think he may be coming from. I could be wrong.

I’m not experiencing any such issues here. I use Firefox as a browser.

Mike, I can understand it’s annoying for you because for you the issues are easy to fix. But I can’t imagine why anyone would make such angry posts just because of this. I’m guessing you have other things stressing you out, and this site is just the last straw.

I’m happy with the site as it is, but, yeah, if things can be easily improved for those experiencing these issues, great.

Seems to work fine for me, although I don’t care for the mobile site, and use the regular site on my mobile instead.

[quote=“mike029”]

Is this video centered in the box for you or to the left? Chrome and Safari, on the left.[/quote]

In the center on Chrome

In the centre on Firefox.

Yeah same here. It’s not brilliant, but I’m not complaining.

If I recall correctly, your ire is also raised by living in Taiwan, interacting with Taiwanese people, your general lot in life, and pretty much everything else in the world.

I can’t help but think that an attitude adjustment would work absolute wonders for you, opening your eyes to mirth and contentment where now you see only annoyance and grief. Worth a try?

Yep, the OP is a typical Angry Young Man. It’s an archetype. He’ll grow out of it.

I experience none of the problems he lists, BTW.

[quote=“StuartCa”][quote=“mike029”]

Is this video centered in the box for you or to the left? Chrome and Safari, on the left.[/quote]

In the center on Chrome[/quote]

Left aligned for me (latest Chrome running on Windows 7 x64). Mike’s right, it looks ugly.

Ok mr. che, cuba has been calling for toooooooo long. When is that next flight? I have to give notice to our chief and our lord undertaker.

I can rustle up the rum and the rovers if you pin down your details. Otherwise, we gonna drink it ourselves whilst basking in the glow of the afternoon moon glancing off our berets. The starship isn’t/hasn’t been complete without you.