I'm in love... with a Commando

in a word, “wow”… in two “bloody hell”…

Surely this must be the most beautiful yet functional re-issue “classic” on the road today… Truly jaw dropping IMHO with all the style, panache and gentlemanly sophistication of yesteryear with a generous modern dose of ‘go like hell’, ‘safety’ and ‘sublime handling’… I mean sure Ducati tried it as well recently, 3 times, but this? Well it’s a Norton, that alone is enough to trump the Ducatis, I mean, just look at it… :heart:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bike/bike_961specs.asp

Saaweeettt! how do I get one? Does Norton have a dealership in Taiwan?

When are they going to come out with the Vincent Blackshadow?

OMFG that is just pure sex on wheels. I swear the hardest accelerating bike I ever rode was my mate’s 850 Roadster… just incredible pull off the line. The ‘Thruxton’ exhaust is a nice touch.

I have a recently rebuilt '53. Make me an offer.

As a totally unbiased former Commando owner, I can honestly say that is one of the finest-looking bikes I’ve ever seen in my life.

" I have a recently rebuilt '53. Make me an offer.

As a totally unbiased former Commando owner, I can honestly say that is one of the finest-looking bikes I’ve ever seen in my life."

Sand-My first born child-I’ll start making one after I type this
(What’s Tash’s number again?)

I saw the Thruxton on the show room floor back in the States, sweet little hooptie. They are going for over 900,000NT. new here in Taiwan!

I could get a used Harley Sportster for 125,000NT. in the States!

Have you seen that Bonneville over at the Bikefarm recently?

Bastard lets me kick it over and rev it for a while but won’t let me take it out – I only wanted to pop up to Ilan and back, for heaven’s sake. :wink:

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]My first born child-I’ll start making one after I type this
(What’s Tash’s number again?)
[/quote]

If I’s you I’d be checking more for SAF, there, bud.
Stick within your species for better results…
Gorilla+Chimp
is probably a better deal than
Gorilla+Mythological Amazon Princess
Gene Pool-wise, I mean…

They’ve done well. It still looks like a Norton. I believe they’ll be eleventy billion NT when they go on sale here.

That’s still $100,000NT cheaper than a BMW.

All that room above the rear wheel could house a monoshock and twin mufflers. If it was swept up twin mufflers tucked under the seat and monoshock would it be more desirable or less?

^^^ Less, IMO. The mufflers are modelled after the old Mk1/2 reverse cone megaphones and the original bikes of course had two shocks. Put it this way, they stuck with pushrods, two valves per cylinder and aircooling for a reason… authenticity. If you’re going to do that with stuff that could easily be modernized and then hidden, why would you then go spoil the effect with (unnecessary) bling like monoshock and underseat exhaust?

agreed!..improvements are subtle yet functional, without losing that all important nostalgic feel and sound.

well it does have twin mufflers, just not underseat items and like Redwagon said, classic styling, pushrods, air cooled, 2V, boy racer underseat pipes…err… no… besides when you go to quality items that those twin Ohlins rear shocks, on a non race bike, you could get to within 99% of the performance of even the best road bike monoshock setups…

If you want the bog standard one, all you have to do is come up with about US$11,000 + about US$8000 in hong bao (“import duty and taxes”) money for A-Bian and his cronies and it’ll be yours… If you want the “S” sports model you’ll be looking at US$13,200 before tax/duties and if you want the oh so desirable Limited Edition “Signature” model with tuned engine, carbon wheels, top spec Ohlins and Brembo Gold line components, custom paint etc, you’ll be looking at parting with US$19,995 before the govt. thugs at JeeLung harbor bash you on the head and make off with your wallet…

So the cheapest model they offer, in Taiwan will run you in the region of NT$750,000 on the road… Cheaper than almost all BMWs… Only glitch is they expect first delivery of the first production run in early… 2007 :s

Cool! Gives me a year to save up for the downpayment. :wink:

Not a new Norton, a highly modified original. Lovely.

More here, here and here.

No, it won’t be a new one – the guy who was bankrolling the production run went bankrupt, apparently. I don’t think more than a handful ever made the showroom floor. Sad.

Yeah, the last guy to own the name went tits up. He took an 8 grand deposit from a guy I know as well. Oops. Word is that there is a new owner, this time with money. Maybe something will happen this time.

The bike pictured above is a one-off race bike based on an original Commando engine and transmission. It’s for sale right now if you want it…

… for USD65,000 :astonished:

New MCN October 22: Norton reveals plans to build four new road bikes

By Liam Marsden

Other

22 October 2008 12:00

In this week’s issue of Motorcycle News we interview the new owner of Norton Motorcycles as he reveals his plans to build four new road-legal Norton motorcycles and to race Nortons in the new MotoGP 600cc class.

Not with an air cooled, two valve pushrod engine I hope!

I also read of the UK Association of chief police officers’ plans to ban motorcycles from public roads. Thank god I don’t live there any more!

[quote]I also read of the UK Association of chief police officers’ plans to ban motorcycles from public roads. Thank god I don’t live there any more!
[/quote]
Please tell me you’re kidding? You’re kidding, right? My newest bro-in-law has several Ducatis and we’re supposed to be taking a Duc trip next time I go back for a visit.
Please tell me you’re kidding!

[quote=“jaame”]
I also read of the UK Association of chief police officers’ plans to ban motorcycles from public roads. Thank god I don’t live there any more![/quote]
The last time I heard, the police were enforcing the laws, not writing them. I don’t think your MP would let the cops take his job away somehow… :wink: