I'm in the doghouse!

Sorry, you should be listening to your wife and secretary. They are locals and they know the rules of the game here. It doesn’t really matter what the crazy barbaric (if supportive) foreigners on this board think.

Okay…let’s go way off thread here. This whole face-saving measure of maintaining your cool is total bull-puckey. I have seen plenty of locals lose it. Granted, mostly in traffic. But they still lose it. They are no wiser than any of us “barbarians”. They choose face only when it suits them. Try making one lose face sometime…chat up a gangster’s g/f at Poxy 69 sometime…see how calm and cool he and his 9 friends stay.

If someone’s dog bit me, or some blue truck driving, red toothed moron caused me to dump my bike or some drunken Lo Mua got in my face…I am gonna go medieval on their ass…face be damned…and they would do the same…no difference between “us” and “them”…anger is anger…

Tigerman…get back out there and kick 'em again…I don’t think you have calmed down enough yet…venting is survival bay-bee!!!

[quote=“tigerman”]Fuck it, I’m going back to the States and buying a male American Pit Bull Terrier and bringing it back here. Then, I’m going to walk him, with a chain leash… and any unleashed dog that wants to start trouble with my leashed pit bull will be eaten :smiling_imp: … one like this:

[/quote]

Can you walk it in my neighborhood? I can guarantee your dog will be kept plenty busy.

I agree, Toe Save.

I’ve seen lots of crazy arguments, a few of which have turned violent, here. I don’t believe for a second that a Taiwanese parent would be any less angry than I was in a similar situation.

And actually, that’s not off topic… that was the primary point of my original post.

Tigerman,

As far I am an concerned you are well within your rights to have kicked them and I would do it next time as well if they attack you, your son or your dogs. Maybe it will teach the lady a lesson if her dogs are continually beaten she will begin to realize you are serious and everytime they do it, they’ll be kicked. Forget arguing with her, just kick her dogs each time, if she bitches at you, tell her either put your dogs on a leash or it will happen again next time as well, and walk away. Let her stew for awhile, just watch your back.

Another suggestion is to get some mace! It may be evil but hey they are attacking you!

[quote=“HakkaSonic”][quote=“tigerman”]Fuck it, I’m going back to the States and buying a male American Pit Bull Terrier and bringing it back here. Then, I’m going to walk him, with a chain leash… and any unleashed dog that wants to start trouble with my leashed pit bull will be eaten :smiling_imp: … one like this:

[/quote]

Can you walk it in my neighborhood? I can guarantee your dog will be kept plenty busy.[/quote]

Maybe I’ll rent him out. It will be a “him”, not an “it”. And I’ll name him “Fluffy”, after Big Fluffy Matthew :laughing:

[quote=“tigerman”]

I agree, Toe Save.

I’ve seen lots of crazy arguments, a few of which have turned violent, here. I don’t believe for a second that a Taiwanese parent would be any less angry than I was in a similar situation.[/quote]

Sure, who hasn’t seen this? But what has it gotten anybody besides a bottle, crowbar, baseball bat, sharpend screwdriver, etc. up side the head.
If not that, then it still ends the same way. Sorry… with both parties eventually walking away and the problem still remaining.

Tazer is a good idea. But I am all for encouraging you to get the authorities involved now. If its not your dog or your son then some other poor sole is going to get harrassed by the mongrels.

Chou

Could I rather timidly offer that perhaps the coffee was a tad strong this morning?

Only half joking. Sounds like you allowed the bastards to get away with too much resulting in a bit of bottling and just possibly a bit of over reaction to the specific incident this morning.

That doesn’t mean the pitbull isn’t a good idea though.

Personally that dog should have been shown just how extremely serious it is to break the unwritten contract between dogs and humans the minute it nipped the lad.

HG

[quote]I don’t believe for a second that a Taiwanese parent would be any less angry than I was in a similar situation.
[/quote]

True, but their reaction would very likely culminate with a few pieces of doctored meat – crude, indiscriminate, but often effective. Not a method I agree with, I hasten to add. Its not the dogs’ fault they’re untrained. But you would DEFINITELY be in trouble if you tried to feed the poison to the person who most deserved it.

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“HakkaSonic”][quote=“tigerman”]Fuck it, I’m going back to the States and buying a male American Pit Bull Terrier and bringing it back here. Then, I’m going to walk him, with a chain leash… and any unleashed dog that wants to start trouble with my leashed pit bull will be eaten :smiling_imp: … one like this:

[/quote]

Can you walk it in my neighborhood? I can guarantee your dog will be kept plenty busy.[/quote]

Maybe I’ll rent him out. It will be a “him”, not an “it”. And I’ll name him “Fluffy”, after Big Fluffy Matthew :laughing:[/quote]

A better idea: Why don’t you just put Big Fluffy Matthew on a leash and let him take care of the dogs. I hear he’s quite viscious from all that time pulling dog sleds in the Arctic.

[quote=“sandman”][quote]I don’t believe for a second that a Taiwanese parent would be any less angry than I was in a similar situation.
[/quote]

True, but their reaction would very likely culminate with a few pieces of doctored meat – crude, indiscriminate, but often effective. Not a method I agree with, I hasten to add. Its not the dogs’ fault they’re untrained. But you would DEFINITELY be in trouble if you tried to feed the poison to the person who most deserved it.[/quote]

Or a chicken leg…cough…hack…wheeze…sputter sputter…ack!

Sorry, but way wrong. There are times when you just can’t do it the local way. If a dog bit one of my kids then all bets are off, irrespective of what the locals think.

Tigerman, just do what you need to do to keep you and yours safe.

Uh yeah, I’m sure Mrs. Tigerman doesn’t care about her child like you do.

[quote=“sandman”][quote]I don’t believe for a second that a Taiwanese parent would be any less angry than I was in a similar situation.
[/quote]

True, but their reaction would very likely culminate with a few pieces of doctored meat – crude, indiscriminate, but often effective. Not a method I agree with, I hasten to add. Its not the dogs’ fault they’re untrained. But you would DEFINITELY be in trouble if you tried to feed the poison to the person who most deserved it.[/quote]

You’re quite right, sandman.

Actually, I have little desire to see the offending dogs harmed, pit bull rant notwithstanding. All I really want is for the idiot owners to keep their dogs leashed, as I do mine… and, I want them to shut their traps and just admit that they are wrong in this situation, and that there are NO mitigating circumstances. I just don’t want to argue about shit like this.

That’s the real point of my original post.

If my dog bit anyone, unless the bite involved an intruder or an assailant, I would apologize profusely and ask what I could do to make the situation right. I sure as shit wouldn’t try to explain my “reasons” for letting my vicious dogs roam freely.

When my boy was in first grade, an older kid at his school started picking on him. We tried to tell our boy to stay away from the older boy, or to tell the older boy to quit picking on him. One day, after the situation had not improved, I was attending a school function (the school’s anniversary celebration) and I saw the bully and his father. I went over to the father and asked him to control his kid. His reply: A shrug of the shoulders and words to the effect, “its nothing, all kids do this”. I said “fine, how 'bout I fucking smack you around right now?” He looked at me like I was mad… but Hell, I asked him what the difference was… if it was “nothing” for his boy to pick on my kid, why would it be “anything” for me to pick on him? When I was a kid I started a fight with another kid… and my father absolutely wore me out when he got home and heard about it.

I just don’t want to argue with people who are wrong, without question wrong.

You were fully justified in kicking the dogs and having a go at their owner, El Tigre. You behaved entirely reasonably. I would expect myself to do exactly the same in similar circumstances.

A few years ago, when I was living in a ground-floor apartment with a yard/garden, I let some friends keep a lovely adopted stray there (rather than confining it inside their own small flat). The next-door neighbours had a very big, fierce, ugly brute of a dog which they chained up so carelessly that it often escaped. It had a virulent hatred for the doggie in my yard, and would invade and attack it whenever it got loose, inflicting one very nasty bite on its back (that needed treatment from the vet) the first time it did so. One day, I was in my kitchen when I heard a big commotion outside and saw the beast on top of my “tenant” again and looking as if it would tear it to pieces. I went absolutely ballistic, totally losing my cool. After rushing outside and chasing the attacker away (I would have hurt it very badly or even killed it if I’d been able to get close enough), I went straight round to the neighbours and screamed at them to take their bloody dog away. I really scared them (as I intended to do) with the violence of my tirade and the threats of what I’d do if it ever, ever happened again. And when I started to calm down, the stupid cow got me back to boiling point again by muttering something like “Why do you get so jidong about it”, as if it were just an inconsequential trifle. I explained to her very loudly and with spitting fury why it made me so jidong, and why I’d be even more jidong if it happened again, and I think she finally got the message. The dog disappeared soon afterwards, and those neighbours moved away within a few weeks.

IMHO you should get your son a can of capstun (or mace, whatever’s allowed) for use on the bad doggies too. Works on bullies as well, I’ve been told.

I think you did the right thing–the safety of your child comes first. Your wife and secretary have got it all wrong. Forget face and the rules of the game when it comes to your child being bitten and infected with God knows what.

Pet owners have a responsibility to make sure their pets don’t harm other dogs or humans. That pet owner sounds like a real fuck up. I wouldn’t really try to kill the dogs, but let them know whose boss, then call the pound.

[quote=“tigerman”]
When my boy was in first grade, an older kid at his school started picking on him. We tried to tell our boy to stay away from the older boy, or to tell the older boy to quit picking on him. One day, after the situation had not improved, I was attending a school function (the school’s anniversary celebration) and I saw the bully and his father. I went over to the father and asked him to control his kid. His reply: A shrug of the shoulders and words to the effect, “its nothing, all kids do this”. I said “fine, how 'bout I fucking smack you around right now?” He looked at me like I was mad… but Hell, I asked him what the difference was… if it was “nothing” for his boy to pick on my kid, why would it be “anything” for me to pick on him? When I was a kid I started a fight with another kid… and my father absolutely wore me out when he got home and heard about it.

I just don’t want to argue with people who are wrong, without question wrong.[/quote]

F@@king outstanding, Tigerman. I am in much the same situation right now. My youngest son is getting bullied at school. I have talked to him many times about walking away and finding a teacher to take care of the situation. I have also told him that there are times when he just has to suck it up. I am now at the point where I might have to go talk to the bully’s teacher (I know the class). Of course, be very polite and all. If it doesn’t work, then I will go back and not be polite.

All this advice about doing it the “local way” is a load of horseshit. Doing it the “local way” means putting one’s head in the sand thus ensuring nothing gets done. Getting up close and personal can be very effective here…though I suggest keeping that tactic in your pocket until all other options have been tried.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]F@@king outstanding, Tigerman. I am in much the same situation right now. My youngest son is getting bullied at school. I have talked to him many times about walking away and finding a teacher to take care of the situation. I have also told him that there are times when he just has to suck it up. I am now at the point where I might have to go talk to the bully’s teacher (I know the class). Of course, be very polite and all. If it doesn’t work, then I will go back and not be polite.

All this advice about doing it the “local way” is a load of horseshit. Doing it the “local way” means putting one’s head in the sand thus ensuring nothing gets done. Getting up close and personal can be very effective here…though I suggest keeping that tactic in your pocket until all other options have been tried.[/quote]

I get particularly irked when teachers shirk their responsibility. Yes, you do need to be polite, at first. But there is no excuse for teachers permitting a situation to continue once they have become aware of the same.

IMO, schools are just as much, if not more, for socializing children as they are for teaching them to read, write and calculate. Yes, we need to teach our children to “suck it up” now and then. But as my father taught me, we need to teach them also that bullying is not acceptable.

I agree with everything that has been said so far except for the parts I disagree with. I’ve often picked up a rock or stick to bash the head of an aggressive dog and I don’t blame you one bit Tigre.

But there is another issue. I used to get pissed at all the idiots who swing umbrellas wildly on the sidewalk or suddenly stop to talk on their phone, and I swore I’d smash into the next fucker who suddenly stopped in front of me, just as I used to take joy in smacking loudly with my hand the car of any asshole who cut me off in a crosswalk. I think in a way such behavior is comparable and equally justifiable as kicking the dogs in the head (maybe even moreso because it’s technically not the dogs’ fault but their owners’).

But the other issue is that by getting all bent out of shape over the issue, you have allowed the dogs to chase you around all day long. So you may have been right to kick them and to argue with her, but you were wrong to get so worked up over it – wrong not to her or them but to you.

I no longer want to slam into idiots who stop in front of me or get angry about loud cellphone yappers or other inconsiderate jerks (or not so often anyway) not because I respect the local way, but because it’s not worth getting worked up over it – for your own sake. Just kick them and keep on truckin down the alley. . . and don’t bother telling the wife about it next time as then you’ll have no peace.

:smiley: