I'm looking for pickled Herring in Taiwan

Did anyone come across pickled herring? I need me some Bismarck-Roll. Matjes would be ok too.

1 Like

2 Likes

Now I just need to figure out, how to get Estonia shipped to Taiwan.

You may want to try Ikea. I think they used to stock it but I haven’t been in a long while.

2 Likes

I used to get rollmops (love them) at Taipei 101 Jasons. But that was many years ago. I doubt they’re a big seller.

2 Likes

Maatjes are not pickled, they are fermented. I know where to get them, but right now it would be more difficult/expensive to get. In also could get some pickled herring, rollmops (eventually in mayo). No guarantee tho.
I’ve trying to figure out how to get herring, I know they could get it from Japan, and pickle it. They probably have it in Taiwan as it’s used for sashimi, the sour fish with yellow roe.

2 Likes

I’m aware of that. Despite not being pickled it’s an acceptable alternative.

Do you have a price list? Or some estimates, how much for 1kg?

I have to contact the supplier to see if they have stock. The maatjes are imported frozen.
The pickled herring is in pails of 20-30.

1 Like

Umm rollmops and> Craster kippers

:yum::yum:

1 Like

I love pickled herring (I am Estonian, so grew up eating herring in every possible form), and I have consistently seen them in IKEA. They are a bit too sweet for my taste but I do always get a jar or two along with a few bags of frozen cinnamon buns whenever I am there.
I also find that Jason’s & City Super usually / sometimes carry some version of pickled herrings. None of them are true Baltic style, though :frowning:.

2 Likes