I'm rudderless

“BUGGER ALL!” <— Olde Englishe.

Yeah, but my Olde Engrishee grammar sucks, is that a command or a statement?

HG

if you are really interested in doing a degree, many schools offer programs in english here. full scholarships are available as well. i’ve just finished a masters in applied linguisitics and teaching methodology, and should be starting teaching in a local university in september. PM if you want more details.

When you say “here” do you mean Taiwan?
Are there really many schools offering programs in English?

I could teach you about Chaucer but you probably wouldn’t thank me for it.[/quote]
I was thinking more along the lines of Beowulf. Y’know, something more Anglische than English.

I know the anglisc. And a fair bit of Old Icelandic. Where did it get me? A buxiban in Taiwan.
… were leoht eastan com,
beorht beacen godes.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I know the anglisc. And a fair bit of Old Icelandic. Where did it get me? A buxiban in Taiwan.
… were leoht eastan com,
beorht beacen godes.[/quote]
You never know when a position might open up in King AEthelstan’s court. Why just yesterday King Offa was looking for a dyke repairman.

Which should I study? The West Saxon or Mercian dialect? :ponder:

EDIT: Why don’t you open an Old English Cram School? You’d have 100% of the market.

i posted on doing a master’s in taiwan here in response to the PMs i received. hope it helps.

TSC, Mercian was incorporated over a period of time into West Saxon and became the Wessex dialect of King Alfred. It’s easier to read than other dialects because it becaume a ‘standard’ (the dialect of the royals and nobles) dialect which eventually morphed into modern English. Northumbrian is trickier but there aren’t many surviving texts.

Anyway, this girl was in the mead hall too late and needs a dan bing and a tall americano before she goes and sees a man about a dyke fixing job.

As the Ginger man said, you are free now. You can do anything you want.

It may sound trite, but follow your bliss and do what you love.

You are in a really good place to be.

Seeing as how MTK is taking his sweet time forwarding his list to me, I had to start one of my own.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Go home in December for a month
Chinese New Year in Phuket
Money generating ideas 1, 2, and 3 (like I’m gonna tell you people what they are :unamused:)
Finish my degree
Invest some of the money in the stock market
Explore what business opportunities are out there
Work in Taiwan for up to 3 more years, saving as much as possible, then re-evaluate

finishing a degree: of course, why start one if you are not going to finish it??

what good are a few classes that you took if you can’t back it up??

that aside…

starting a business…choose what you dig, what drives you, what you spend your leisure time doing. do what you love.

i think that a career change every 5 or 10 years is healthy and keeps one fresh and excited and productive.

if you can’t find something that suits you, then create something that does suit you-work for yourself.

find your niche.

we don’t all have to work under, or for someone else.

we can fill a need, a niche, and work for ourselves.

find your specialty.

after so many years of experience in whatever fields anyone can fine tune their lives and create their own destiny.

be creative, decide what you are good at, and go for it.

let it be known buddy, you still have a rudder. your rudder may be dinged up or tattered and torn, but your rudder is still worthy, it will work for you even though you may have let others steer it into rocks or rough seas. your rudder is always there my man, ready to take you where you need to go.

jm

[quote=“Buttercup”]I know the anglisc. And a fair bit of Old Icelandic. Where did it get me? A buxiban in Taiwan.
… were leoht eastan com,
beorht beacen godes.[/quote]

I’ve been trying to find someone to teach me Icelandic for the past four years but every Icelandic person I’ve found already speaks perfect English, wasn’t interested in learning Chinese and didn’t want paid teaching work. I’ll never get me an eskimo girl at this rate.

[quote=“fee”]As the Ginger man said, you are free now. You can do anything you want.

It may sound trite, but follow your bliss and do what you love.

You are in a really good place to be.[/quote]
SOOO True. Take some time. Buy a used scoot. Take a road unknown. Always follow it up until it doesn’t go “up” anymore. Then follow it where it may lead. I am being literal here. Seriously - Just follow the roads in Taiwan. They will take you to places that you can only imagine. Think about camping in a Lukai village. Drink some beer and sing with the aboriginals (They made me an honroy member but it took me two day of over-imbibing). Go hiking in the mountains with the wild pig hunters in Taidong. Eat fresh oysters fresh off the string in Tainan and watch the endangered species of the Black-Faced Spoonbill. I’m not putting you on. There are sooo many things to see and do once you get out of the confines of the city. You just have to do it and don’t count on anyone to help you do it. You must take the step yourself. If you do, you will find a world that few Taiwanese explore or even know about and you will have memories that will last the rest of your life. Now - go for it.

Ilary, get hold of Gordon and Taylor’s "An Introduction To Old Norse’, that’ll sort you out. An ability to translate Njal’s Saga never got me any boys though.

(Sorry for being off-topic. But it’s sort of connected. Learning old icelandic is possibly one of the most pointless things I’ve every done. Now I am older, and have to earn a living, I’ve since stopped doing stuff I love doing. I learn Chinese, but that is a useful skill. I do plenty of other pointless stuff like watching tv, talking to people I don’t like, messing with my computers, unpaid overtime, etc, I may as well do pointless stuff I like. We should do more stupid crap.)

It would get you this boy, I loved that story (read Magnus Magnuson’s translation) so much I went and read Laxdaela Saga, King Harald’s Saga, and Egil’s Saga.

Laxdaela Saga would make a good movie, love triangle and Gudrun’s enigmatic last words. I didn’t care for Egil’s Saga. Egil was such a thoroughly nasty bit of work that I couldn’t find any sympathy for him.

Missed your post, TSC. My problem is I always like boys who can’t/don’t read. :wink:

Magnussen’s ‘Njal’s saga’ is the best. Egil, yeah, boring. You mean where Gudrun said something like ‘The one I loved the most I treated the worst’ or something like that?

You might like Grettir’s Saga. About a misunderstood guy who ends up being exiled forever. Njal’s is still the best, though. Not sure why I like it so much.