"I'm South African." "Sorry, we only hire native speakers."

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]

Can I nominate this for classic post status?[/quote]

Yep! The button with the exclamation point.

Cheers TG! I had no idea that that was what it was for O.O;

They’re not worried about their English ability. They are worried about what the teacher will look like in class and on ads. I think if any person here denies that schools prefers whites, they are lying. I’m sure the situation is a little better now, but 10 years ago I was even asked to change my hair back to blonde, and straighten it. (at a Joy school) Err…yeah, I’m a white South African with dark curly hair…the horror!!

Not denying that at all. But your response seems to suggest that’s not a horribly racist thing. Is that what you’re implying?

huh. How can preferring whites over blacks not be horribly racist?

I am a white South African, have taught at many schools, if they tell me to use an American accent, i tell them go get stuffed, I am an English teacher, if they like me, they have to take me as I am, accent and everything… i don’t tell them how to speak, they shouldn’t tell me how to either… Just my 5c (so far all the schools i said that to have kept me.)

Not sure what Google Translate thew at you there, mate, but it should be one of the following, I think:

1. Jammer, ons huur net moedertaal sprekers. (Sorry, we only hire native speakers.)
  2. Jammer, ons is net moedertaal sprekers. (Sorry, we are only native speakers.)

I’m guessing you wanted no.1. You’re welcome. :wink:

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”][quote=“bismarck”]And Winny is probably going to marry Jimmy who’s going to drive a blue truck for a living. While Johnson isn’t going to become a doctor, but rather work from 7am-10pm for 30k/month after he finished his MBA from NCKU and post pictures of his dinner to Facebook, because he’s lonely (yeah, I do that too) and all the other little xiaojies have run off with the latest batch of English teachers, which is the closest they’ll ever come to the USA.

Mean time, little Johnny who learned his English from Edward from India is making a killing with his own private import-export company, because he can actually communicate with speakers of English, regardless of where they come from.[/quote]

Can I nominate this for classic post status?[/quote]
Knock yourself out.! At the very least, be kind to Bismarck and nominate the post! :smiley:

It just struck me as oddly ironic that I left South Africa for Taiwan to get away from a system that prefers blacks over whites.

If the English (Brits) themselves are labeled as “non-natives” and get disqualified to teach English… Imagine the fate of those who are equally competent but are non-natives! :cry:

I am a non-native English tutor. My resort if to teach online thru Skype. JENisMyEnglishTutor
I’d be glad contribute whatever help I could to make a student improve his English proficiency.

that’s cool Jen.Is it difficult to claim taxes that way? Or did you start your own company.

I agree Modest Mouse. Sounds like a bunch of whiners in this forum.

Just a few comments which have not been mentioned in this forum (for a bunch of people who are supposed to be educators, you guys (and gals) need to use your brain a little more:

1. Parents want someone with an American accent because they want their kids to go to the US. Whether or not that happens isn’t the issue.

And to the posts mocking Johnny and Winny (Winnie by the way), at least the parents have a dream for their kid, and the parents will work hard for their dream. To that poster - what was your parents dream? Oh, I want my kid to go to Taiwan to teach English because he can’t find a job in his original country? If you are going to mock the people you teach, you should just go home.

Back to my point in number 1 - the issue is that parents want their kids to sound American so they can fit in if/when they go to the US. If their parents have plans for their kids to go to South Africa, then I’m sure they will find a SA teacher.

1. Language learning is also culture learning. The US culture and SA culture is different. Maybe the parents want their kids exposed to Americans society and customs that are built-in and expressed/learned along with learning American English.

2. Parents work hard for their money - the average employee at 7-11 makes $103/NT an hour. If you are raising your family on $103/NT hour, I think you have every right to be picky in how you spend your English learning dollars.

3. “bland nasal North American twinge” - not sure what this even means to the rest of the people around the world. Just another comment from someone who wishes they spoke American English. Just accept the fact that parents in Taiwan want to spend their hard earned money so their kids speak American English. If you don’t like that, no one is making you stay in Taiwan and one is making you teach English. Find a new profession. I was tired of being discriminated against for looking Taiwanese (born in Taiwan, moved to the US when I was 3), so I did something else. You should too if you don’t like your current place in life.

4. In a forum for supposed English teachers, you guys (and gals) need to work a little harder on your grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, organization, paragraphing and general writing mechanics.

sigh Fortunately, it’s CNY and I have oodles of time on my hands.

:ohreally: Yeah? Try telling that to Winny’s mum and dad. For reference see:

1. Scooter slogans
  2. Bizarre English names - Part 2

Not sure who you’re addressing ATTORNEYDave, but in my case, like most kids, they wanted me to be a doctor. I wasn’t arsed about that, and fortunately I don’t come from a family that forces it’s offspring to study some shite they don’t want to, hence spending the rest of your life in misery doing some crap you hate, waiting for your folks to die so you can finally follow your passion for yodeling.

Again, not sure who you’re addressing here. But generally speaking that is a HUGE exaggeration and usually an erroneous one, usually spewed by uninformed individuals butthurt over the supposed idea that Johnny Laowai is stealing “their” women and making more money than they are. :unamused:
Pull the other one. Many of us had very successful careers where we came from, and many of us do very well here too. Many posters here aren’t teachers, many are self employed, and if anything, employ many locals.

Who? I am at home. Which is usually where I end up at the end of each day.

Good luck with that.

I wouldn’t call it picky, I’d call it totally naive and ignorant of all things linguistic. But it’s a fair point, people are free to spend their hard earned lucre on whomever and whatever they want. Personally, I have no problem with that, but being a citizen of a free democratic country, I am entitled to my opinion.
Besides, the above is not the the reason why 99% of the people here have their kids study English.

Certainly not me. And btw, there’s no such thing as American English. There’s only English. 美語 is just a marketing strategy for the profoundly naive.

Aaaah, and here comes the trusty old knee jerk reaction. :roflmao:

But I bet you still call yourself an ABC, right? Quick! Show us your green card or US passport! Quick!!

:bravo: Congratulations!! But have you considered that’s what motivated many of the people who post here to move to Taiwan, on some level or another, American or otherwise?

Been there. Done that. Lost the T-shirt. So, whereas I understand where you’re coming from, EYE am very happy with where I am, love my country and won’t leave for you or anyone. :no-no:
But I’ll still give my opinion on what I want.

It’s not a forum for English teachers, supposed or otherwise. :unamused: For an attorney you don’t seem to read the fine print very well. Let me guess, studied in the US, right?

sigh Sorry, I’m being a bit of an ass here on the end, but why do people always harp on about ‘grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, organization, paragraphing and general writing mechanics’ on an internet forum? Almost no one really cares, and it’s no reflection of your actual writing abilities.

Bis -
No amigo you are not being a bit of an ass with this comment.
But having been subjected to this tactic by persons who seem to have no substantive comment but feel the need to make a comment, I do agree with your response - "Almost no one really cares,… ":thumbsup:

Carry on…

What’s the big deal with Americans getting upset when the rest of the world laughs at their English?

Come on, they spell ‘doughnut’ ‘donut’ and think it’s OK. I saw more than one sign in America that said ‘No Thru Road’.

I’m going to come out and say it plainly, just to make it easy to understand: The rest of us dislike the overemphasis on US English in Taiwan because the ‘official’ version of English in use in America is not used anywhere else in the world (you can except Canada, but even they spell correctly). US English is used in ONE native-speaking country and then possibly used in a handful of ESL countries (though I personally see it mixed in with UK spelling a lot here, and one can hardly call the English most Taiwanese speak ‘US English’. ‘Bastardised Chinglish’ may be a closer approximation).

The emphasis on US English is annoying for several reasons. American software (Microsoft, Apple, etc.) often comes with an automatic spellchecker, and it’s a real bitch to change it to UK English (or SA English, or Australian English etc.). It’s actually quite important that you change it, otherwise your spellcheck is fairly useless (unless you want all your ‘colours’ to become ‘colors’ when you correct actually misspelt words) and your page will be filled with green lines (because, as it turns out, grammar differs slightly in standard usage across English-speaking countries).

Another reason it’s annoying: idiots who are in the ESL profession here (or just idiots on the street). ‘Oh, you’re English? I’m sorry, we’re looking for a native speaker of English.’ On the one hand, it filters out the idiots who I would rather not work for, on the other hand it’s plain insulting, on some base primal level that I can’t even explain.

Yet another reason why it’s annoying: Americans think they’re the centre of the damn universe. Heard of the ‘Imperial American Empire’? There are people who actually believe America is an empire, despite the lack of powerful colonies and class. Heard of SOPA and PIPA? Despite what everyone says those two pieces of legislation won’t affect me at all. The US doesn’t have an extradition treaty with Taiwan (though the one they have with the UK is fucked, but that’s the UK’s fault for bending over backwards). US ‘power’ doesn’t affect my life in any way, and that’s with me having a US passport. But I have to hear about it from my dad, who’s royally brainwashed, and just smile and nod because it’s not like he’d know anything about the rest of the world anyway. It’s simply annoying to hear it and have your legitimate disagreements dismissed because ‘you don’t get it’. And yes, this happens on internet forums with Americans too, not just with my crazy family.

(I hereby completely exempt Americans who are travelling overseas from Point 3, because you lot are usually as true and as you can get.)

I think that’s about it. To AttorneyDave: we appreciate your opinion, but stop being butthurt because there’s a rest-of-the-world. And don’t bring out the ‘native American speakers are greater in number due to population argument’, because a good portion of the US population is either illiterate or close to it, so I don’t think they’re really what you want representing your country. If you don’t believe me, go live in a trailer park for a while (say hi to my grandma when you do).

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]What’s the big deal with Americans getting upset when the rest of the world laughs at their English?

Come on, they spell ‘doughnut’ ‘donut’ and think it’s OK. I saw more than one sign in America that said ‘No Thru Road’.

I’m going to come out and say it plainly, just to make it easy to understand: The rest of us dislike the overemphasis on US English in Taiwan because the ‘official’ version of English in use in America is not used anywhere else in the world (you can except Canada, but even they spell correctly). US English is used in ONE native-speaking country and then possibly used in a handful of ESL countries (though I personally see it mixed in with UK spelling a lot here, and one can hardly call the English most Taiwanese speak ‘US English’. ‘Bastardised Chinglish’ may be a closer approximation).

The emphasis on US English is annoying for several reasons. American software (Microsoft, Apple, etc.) often comes with an automatic spellchecker, and it’s a real bitch to change it to UK English (or SA English, or Australian English etc.). It’s actually quite important that you change it, otherwise your spellcheck is fairly useless (unless you want all your ‘colours’ to become ‘colors’ when you correct actually misspelt words) and your page will be filled with green lines (because, as it turns out, grammar differs slightly in standard usage across English-speaking countries).

Another reason it’s annoying: idiots who are in the ESL profession here (or just idiots on the street). ‘Oh, you’re English? I’m sorry, we’re looking for a native speaker of English.’ On the one hand, it filters out the idiots who I would rather not work for, on the other hand it’s plain insulting, on some base primal level that I can’t even explain.

Yet another reason why it’s annoying: Americans think they’re the centre of the damn universe. Heard of the ‘Imperial American Empire’? There are people who actually believe America is an empire, despite the lack of powerful colonies and class. Heard of SOPA and PIPA? Despite what everyone says those two pieces of legislation won’t affect me at all. The US doesn’t have an extradition treaty with Taiwan (though the one they have with the UK is fucked, but that’s the UK’s fault for bending over backwards). US ‘power’ doesn’t affect my life in any way, and that’s with me having a US passport. But I have to hear about it from my dad, who’s royally brainwashed, and just smile and nod because it’s not like he’d know anything about the rest of the world anyway. It’s simply annoying to hear it and have your legitimate disagreements dismissed because ‘you don’t get it’. And yes, this happens on internet forums with Americans too, not just with my crazy family.

(I hereby completely exempt Americans who are travelling overseas from Point 3, because you lot are usually as true and as you can get.)

I think that’s about it. To AttorneyDave: we appreciate your opinion, but stop being butthurt because there’s a rest-of-the-world. And don’t bring out the ‘native American speakers are greater in number due to population argument’, because a good portion of the US population is either illiterate or close to it, so I don’t think they’re really what you want representing your country. If you don’t believe me, go live in a trailer park for a while (say hi to my grandma when you do).[/quote]

Now…I don’t care who you are…This is FUNNY!… :roflmao:

Not true. Or, if it IS true, what study or survey shows that it is true?

From my experience, “American English” sells better here because it’s marketed here as some vastly different language than British English. There is a percepton of one being better, and most people signing up their kids seem to think more about the global world we’re facing that is becoming more global. In that situation, a variety of teachers from different countries would be helpful. But it’s NOT marketed that way.

Even if your assumption is true, do you really think a non-native speaker would have trouble in America if he learned to spell color with a random, yet awkwardly placed, “u?” Heck, in America, we overlook stuff like that and different words because of the cute accent the British have.

I wasn’t the person you’re asking, but I CAN comment on that. My parents’ dream for me is to be happy, working, stable, and live a happy life. I’m doing ok so far.

If you ask most students why they study English, most will say because they have to. Has nothing to do with the dreams or interests the child has.

Are you SURE you are an attorney? Did you miss the classes about logical debating in court?

Or…go ahead. Have fun. How would learning English from a South African cause a person to not fit in if they go to the US?

Really? Almost 6 years of this country and I can’t remember any curriculum I have taught that covers culture. It’s too bad, but true.

So no. They’re not spending their money for that experience. Wair…I do remember seeing a vocabulary list a Taiwanese teacher typed. It said, “Texas: a place in America where cowboys live.” Ah…yes. Very culturally enriching.

By the way, since you point out how imporant grammar is, I should point out that “US culture” and “SA culture” are 2 things. Your subject-verb agreement needs to reflect that.

So there is no responsibility on the part of the school to NOT dupe the parents into a marketing scheme? It’s morally justifiable for the school to give a poor education to parents, but sell it as good, just because the parents deserve to spend their $$ however they want? Blah…

Somehow, you’re missing the whole point:
–The OP called an English buxiban to ask about a job.
–The “school,” which is supposed to teach English and, according to you, culture refused him.
–The reason for refusing him was not because they only hire Americans. It’s because they only hire native speakers of English.

So the school, which is supposed to also teach culture, doesn’t even know in which countries that language is spoken.

Ah…yes. The “run away in fear and don’t try to educate others or advance society” argument. The argument that people should accept whatever society throws at them always gets more ironic in Taiwan the closer we get to February 28.

As an attorney, you need to work a little harder on your logic and fact checking.

How would learning English from a South African cause a person to not fit in if they go to the US?[/quote]
Indeed. Just ask Charlize Theron (an Oscar Winner), Arnold Vosloo and the plethora of South African doctors, nurses, accountants, engineers, programmers, and other professionals who have moved to the US and Canada over the last 20 years. They all seem to be doing pretty well. :idunno:

How would learning English from a South African cause a person to not fit in if they go to the US?[/quote]
Indeed. Just ask Charlize Theron (an Oscar Winner), Arnold Vosloo and the plethora of South African doctors, nurses, accountants, engineers, programmers, and other professionals who have moved to the US and Canada over the last 20 years. They all seem to be doing pretty well. :idunno:[/quote]
Yeah but Charlize had to show boobies to get there and the Taiwanese lack slightly in that department.
Now I’m not going to talk about Arnold’s boobies but his are so impressive even mummies run after them (I did mean mommies).

*waves me Taiwanese born South African raised hand.

I’m an ABC from the Midwest and I’m having a hell of a time getting a teaching job even with a TEFL certificate. White face EASILY beats out any type of accent or English teaching ability.

Sad, but (mostly) true.

Edit: However, look on the (relatively) bright side. At least you don’t get called waiguoren/laowai in your country of citizenship. Little consolation, I know. If I had a school, I’d hire you (for what it’s worth).