I'm sure before people used to give their seat up

I don’t see anywhere in the bay area using trust systems.

In case you haven’t noticed there are all kinds of anti homeless architecture like spikes and stuff all over the bay area. Last thing they want is homeless people camping in the stations.

1 Like

Actually the times I’ve offered my seat to an old person, they look so shocked that I did that they refuse to take it. I generally have to insist they take it and I agree I rarely see it done by others. North America is no better though, it’s just the overall culture is becoming a lot more selfish.

That said I can’t judge people because they may have an unseen disability or are just tired or sick but are still young so what can you say. Maybe they need it more.

I like to offer my seat to a man I know is younger than me as a jab for fun

3 Likes

Hollywood has the best looking homeless

Well but “priority” doesn’t mean restricted. I’ve seen people stand a long time and not since in the priority seats even when no one is there to occupy it. They could always stand up and offer it to someone in need if they happen to enter the carriage.

1 Like

The problem is you will sit in it and then 2 stops later Geriatric Park wants to get on the train where you will have to give them up anyways. So better to just stay standing than sit down and have to stand up 5 minutes later.

or the beginning of a ‘walk into a bar’ joke!

2 Likes

It happens in Kaohsuing. The tram/ street cars you should buy a ticket before or tap your card on inside the train carriage, not everyone does pay though.

1 Like

Odd. I’ve seen Asians get up many many many times. Most times I ride the MRT, as a matter of fact.

6 Likes

Lazy, but the girl has to save her legs!

1 Like

Me too.

4 Likes

I don’t often take the MRT, but when I do I always seem to see this happening. Another common occurrence: the fit senior who’s offered the seat turns it down, and finds another more needy senior to take the seat.

7 Likes

I agree. Most people do it. It’s the sulky high school kids who are the biggest shits.

4 Likes

It must be in their DNA… :joy:

1 Like

Most people don’t even sit in the priority seats, I notice.

1 Like

Do fare inspectors come on to check though?

I wonder if you could even do this kind of random street interview as an obvious westerner in China now?
He should interview people in those second tier cities and the towns. It’s carnage.
Or some busy time there the place goes nuts.

Or a joke

Yes, they’re mostly empty. I know I never sit in them.

I really want to say something to folks who don’t give up their seats but I’m becoming increasingly non-confrontational as I get older, I’ve been noticing.

Nothing bothers me more than someone crossing their legs in a crowded carriage and coming very close to my pant leg with their shoe. I usually just move over but I have in my younger years “accidentally” stepped on their foot that’s not raised.