I'm tired and I want to go home

What? Name it! Picture it!

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

One way ticket for June third. Getting excited/nervous/excitedā€¦

Itā€™s going to be awesome !

Thanks Tommy.

youtu.be/YpBumVmL_zg

Hereā€™s one.

Good luck. Iā€™m tired and I want to leave planet earth. Seriously, shoot me off into space. Mars. Iā€™ll go.

I hear that!

Flyin out tomorrow morning!

Hereā€™s a song for the occasion by some say, the other queen of England:

Wasnā€™t there some guy putting together a ONE WAY mission to Mars and needed people to go?

But iā€™d not go, because the Earth is a big place. Its still possible to find that niche that works.

Hey,

If youā€™re still out there. Good luck going home. I was in Taiwan just under 10 years. I went home and I couldnā€™t be happier. I just clicked on formosa one last time before I delete the bookmark. Itā€™s been good,I have no regrets, but just looking on here again is depressing. Taiwan is a small place and you can only take so many trips to see the same shit. Iā€™m making about double the amount of money I made in Taiwan with 3 weeks paid vacation to travel any where I want in the world and get paid for it. Youā€™ll be fine goodluck you made the right choice!

How has the increased cost of living affected your discretionary income? Iā€™m thinking $2000 per month in Taipei would generate a similar discretionary income as $4000 per month in many cities in the West.

except youā€™ll work 80 hours a week getting 2000 a month in Taipei, no vacations.

Oh my goodness, where are you working? Even during my first year in Taiwan working at Hess, I was making $2000 per month, working 30 hours per week.

Oh my goodness, where are you working? Even during my first year in Taiwan working at Hess, I was making $2000 per month, working 30 hours per week.[/quote]

If I was still making US$2,000 working 30 hours a week, I would have been long gone. Iā€™ve been on the Rock for a good few years now teaching English to elementary school kids at a private school (32hrs per week) ONLY and Iā€™m averaging over US$4,000 a month. Iā€™m saving and investing close to $2,000 a month, with a family. The wife contributes about US$700 in addition to help cover home expenses. If I couldnā€™t do that I wouldā€™ve left a long time ago. LOVING TAIWAN! :discodance:

Itā€™s all relative. Someone making $8000 per month would likely be depressed on your salary, and someone making $16000 per month would likely feel depressed on a salary of $8000 per month. In any case, thatā€™s not really the point. The point is that someone making twice the salary in the UK will not have twice the quality of life as someone making half that salary in Taiwan.

RockOn, you should recognize your situation is highly unusual. But way to go.

Oh my goodness, where are you working? Even during my first year in Taiwan working at Hess, I was making $2000 per month, working 30 hours per week.[/quote]

If I was still making US$2,000 working 30 hours a week, I would have been long gone. Iā€™ve been on the Rock for a good few years now teaching English to elementary school kids at a private school (32hrs per week) ONLY and Iā€™m averaging over US$4,000 a month. Iā€™m saving and investing close to $2,000 a month, with a family. The wife contributes about US$700 in addition to help cover home expenses. If I couldnā€™t do that I wouldā€™ve left a long time ago. LOVING TAIWAN! :discodance:[/quote]

You better never lose that job.

Another poster has an open thread about making $600 an hour and being declined for a pay raise at an elementary school. When he hinted he might quit, they couldnā€™t care less. There is always another young backpacker getting off the plane willing to work for $500/hr.

You are very lucky with your job.

The key to making good money in ESL is avoiding the big brand schools, like Hess and Joy, and finding a smaller private school that cares more about quality, low turnover of teachers, and stability for their students. These schools care more about their ā€œimageā€ than $5 or $10 raises per year. I guess itā€™s easier said than done, but there is still hope to make a ā€œgoodā€ life in Taiwan. Oh yeah, if you ever want to make decent money in Taiwan, avoid public schools. There youā€™re priced similarly to a Taiwanese national (with maybe a small premium for being a foreigner).