ImageReady: knowledge sharing and troubleshooting

Any ImageReady wizards here? I’m playing with IR and want to troubleshoot my results; I’d also like to have this be a venue for sharing knowledge on this software in particular.

Here’s my current project:
I started with this animated gif, and merely wanted to strip the background away to leave a transparent animated gif.

The results looked clean in the IR preview, so I saved it optimized, but when I uploaded that via ImageShack to preview it on Forumosa, somehow a dirty shadow around the image got added.

I can’t figure out why this happened, or how to get rid of it. When I reopen the optimized image in IR, the dirty shadow isn’t there. What gives?

Any advice? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

you mind emailing me the pic?
igorveni@yahoo.com I’ll see what i can do. Can’t thing of anything of my head just now.

Well, I couldn’t find anything wrong with it and when I UL it I got the same problems than yours, this little trail in the back.
I’ll try a last thing and that is saving it but not optimizing it, see how that goes.

OK. I’m curious. Send it to me too please, DB.

Ok, will send the unghosted non-uploaded optimized file tonight when I have email access. (The original and ghosted result are already uploaded above.)

Thanks also to Igorveni for checking it! Perhaps it has something to do with the optimization, yes. But I’ve used IR to save my animations before (I think they were optimized – but that was a year ago), like the ones below, and have not encountered this problem before. I’ll try saving unoptimized tonight, too.

As you can see, none of these have the problem. I’ll try opening them and resaving them optimized, then reuploading them to see if perhaps they were originally not saved in optimized form. I’ll also try saving the green llamathingie in unoptimized form, if possible…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, what’s with the hello kitty things? :laughing:

Oh, a little over a year ago our beloved fellow Forumosan “twonavels” went from a really cool avatar of Ichi the Killer
to a Hello Kitty avatar. Being a passionate hater of HK, I was devastated! Another Forumosan, or perhaps two others, also had HK avatars at the time. So I contacted ‘game’ types by PM and arranged to convert all our avatars to Hello Kitty avatars, or HK spoof of our original avatars, as a sort of mass protest. Soon everybody wanted one! I made most of them, but a few others, e.g., Tetsuo, pitched in, and some made their own.

You’ll still find one or two avatars being used now that were never changed back to the original; they have a little pink bow or somehow otherwise incorporate HK on another image, e.g.,

or .

This tatoo is one of my favorites:

Here’s another fave:

I still have most of those avatars if you want to see some more, but it was all a week of extreme silliness perhaps better left to rest. :laughing:

Ok, if I just reopened the vulture in IR and resave it via “save”, I’m only given Photoshop as a file format; that’s not animated, nor will ImageShack take it as an upload. Saving it optimized gives only the .gif format. Result: No problem. So the problem doesn’t occur upon optimizing this file. I tried resaving it with file type html, but ImageShack wouldn’t take it, so that isn’t the source of the problem.

Then I opened a clean version of the llama in photoshop format in Imageready, and checked to make sure it was still clean; then saved optimized, and rather than reuploading it, simply opened it in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and the ghosting had already appeared; I then opened this file in IR again, and the ghosting was still there. So the problem occured upon optimization, and was not the result of uploading.

In sum, the optimizing or saving as optimized seems to result in this problem for the llama gif but not for the vulture gif. AFAIK, I used a similar process for modifying both files (download an extant animated gif, open it in ImageReady to explode the frames, export it to Photoshop for further frame-by-frame editing, then back into ImageReady, and saved as optimized.

This has really got me puzzled; I’m new to ImageReady, and wonder what I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide! :slight_smile:

OK, I’ve just seen the souce and it looks like some sort of tweening option is activated. I’ll need to dig a bit deeper.

Hmm. I searched the options and found that under Layers, an item called Propagate Layer 1 changes was ticked. I unticked it, checked to make sure it wasn’t ticked in any layer view, then resaved optimized, but the problem persists.

Yeah, I’ve been trying too, lol. Maybe it’s not that after all… :stuck_out_tongue:

If you right click on each frame in the animations pallet in IR you will get three options that allow you to set the “fame disposal method” (you can search for this in IR help for more info).

Set each frame to restore to background and you’ll be all good.

[quote=“Rik”]If you right click on each frame in the animations pallet in IR you will get three options that allow you to set the “fame disposal method” (you can search for this in IR help for more info).

Set each frame to restore to background and you’ll be all good.[/quote]

Superb. Just did it and it works. That Rik fella is GOOD!

[quote=“Rik”]If you right click on each frame in the animations pallet in IR you will get three options that allow you to set the “fame disposal method” (you can search for this in IR help for more info).

Set each frame to restore to background and you’ll be all good.[/quote]

:notworthy: Excellent, thanks Rik. I’ll try it at home tonight. BTW, do you know how that might have accidentally got set?

I downloaded the original with the frame and WTF background from the web with a right-click Save, and deleted the background, and saved it again.

Would the frame disposal default info have come embedded with the original gif, or is it more likely to have been an option I somehow accidentally set?

I’m positive that I didn’t go through selecting it for each frame, of course. Is there a global option which sets the frame disposal method for each frame? Just wondering. Thanks again! BTW, feel free to share any of your animations here, just for fun! :slight_smile:

DB

It looks like it came from the original; the image linked in the OP is set to “Do not dispose” but the default for IR is “automatic”.

The setting doesn’t affect the original because it doesn’t use transparency.

OK, thanks.

Is there a global option which sets the frame disposal method for each frame (so that you don’t have to manually make the change to each frame)?

Not that I know of, but you can Shift click and Ctrl click on the Animations palette to select multiple frames at once.

ok, thanks! I’m a real newbee at this. :blush: :slight_smile:

EDIT: Worked like a charm! Thanks much!!!

This is a reminder to select ‘no dither’ in the optimization window to avoid weird noise in your animation.

I added this ROC flag
(sans black border)
to the flag-waving smiley

and [color=#0000FF]ugly yellow noise now appears in the red flag area. [/color]

to solve this, go to the Optimization window, select ‘no dither’, then save optimized. Result is clean:

Now I just need to figure out how to preserve the original resolution so the sun doesn’t turn into a neat square like that.

First take it into Photoshop and change the mode to RGB (Image > Mode > RGB color), then resize it. If you try to resize while it’s on Indexed color, it will be unable to maintain details like that, choosing instead to stay within a very strict color gamut.