Immigration at the aiport...Am I being paranoid?

Hi all,

I am yet another English teaching fortune seeker soon to be fresh off the boat immigrant to your lovely island…

I’m going through the usual route of arriving with my UK passport and getting a landing-entry stamp and not a visa… I have a return ticket for 5 weeks away from arrival date which is what everyone recommends…

But paranoia is setting in… How many questions will they ask at immigration? I know no one can guarantee but can you maybe share what you know of the ‘normal’ procedure, I’m tempted to go all James Bond and invent some elaborate 5 week tour including maps and reservations for hotels all over the island… Is this too much…? What do you think they are likely to ask me at passport control? Will I need to show them a hotel/hostel reservation for the entire stay? What other documents will they want to see…?

Also, I have a nice shiny CELTA certificate and a cv with lots of lovely English teaching experience, I’m worried they will open my bags and find them and the game will be up. I know they do do that kind of thing in the UK an Australia and though I find it hard to believe that they do this in Taiwan too, is it unheard of?

In short, please advise on the necessary precautions needed to ensure the fact that I won’t be back on the next plane to the UK

Thank you very much

What happens usually? The immi guy or gal will take your passport, say nary a word (and neither should YOU open your mouth) and put a stamp in there and give the passport back to you. All within a minute.

IF you open your mouth you should do so only to answer a question with as brief an answer as possible.

Taiwan is usually the most hassle free immi stop anywhere.

Just approach immi like you know what you are doing, in a ho hum manner. And it is over in a flash.

That or you could be taken to a back room, strip searched by beautiful 20 something, female sex fiends and kept captive for a week ! (oh… sorry imagination running away with me again) :slight_smile:

UK passport holders (with passports with validity over 180 days) get VISA FREE entry for 90 days . Its called VISA FREE entry. There is no fee and there is NO VISA.

A Landing Visa is NOT free and is given on a case by case basis to those with passports with less then six months left on it or one travelling with a temporary passport.

NOT to be confused with what you will be getting , which is a VISA FREE entry valid for 90 days.

So long as your passport is valid for over 180 days and is a valid passport from the UK you should be fine. As long as your name is not on some black list.

They wont ask you about your return reservations usually or even where you are staying. But do put which hotel or what address you will be staying at.

They wont check but its good to have a point of contact in case you were on a plane with someone with SARS or something and they need to contact you to save your life…or shoot you… or something.

Relax. its painless entering Taiwan and fast.

You can breathe now.

Besides they watch you from the moment you got off the plane so if you dont exhibit any strange behavior or appear suspicious, by the time you got to the immi officer you will pass thru. And if you didnt make it thru…well… you will tell us about it :astonished: :laughing: (from a contracted Gulag reportedly in North Korea, next to the nuclear waste that Taiwan has contracted to be dumped there…or something).

Thank you:)
I’m currently jobless, wounting the days until my flight to Taiwan, stuck at home watching crappy reality shows about UK border control… May not be a great idea…

In any case. thanks…

[quote=“TeacherJacob”]Thank you:)
I’m currently jobless, wounting the days until my flight to Taiwan, stuck at home watching crappy reality shows about UK border control… May not be a great idea…

In any case. thanks…[/quote]

Good luck to you. Its tough in the beginning, but if you make it through the first year, it could start getting rewarding.

English teaching in Taiwan is like being in the Marines. For the FEW, the PROUD, the MARINES !

Be like a Marine and you could maybe survive there ! If the urban jungle dont get ya, you could be taken out by a scoot or floored by one of those famous Taiwanese pussycats !

Those are THE most dangerous !!

And keep us posted of your travails ( i mean… adventures).

When you land and go to immigration, you will be asked precisely jack squat. It has long been determined that, in cases like yours, immigration officials give exactly zero fucks about what you’re going to do on the island.

Don’t worry, be happy and good luck!

i assure you going through Taiwanese immigration is 1000 times easier than other nationals going through UK immigration or US immigration.

Unless you are smuggling blue cheese or kielbasa in, Customs has no reason to open your luggage. Least of all look at what’s in it. Unless it is pr0n!

I have only been questioned for not having filled out the arrival card with an address. Apparently “Dongmen station” is not specific enough :wink:

In all my travels the only times I’ve been haggled is when returning to the only country I actually I hold citizenship, the United States :unamused:

Haggled? As in immigration wanted to give you a 3 months visa but you got them down to one?

you should have mentioned which platform, and which exact bench.

you should have mentioned which platform, and which exact bench.[/quote]

yes but the MRT cops may fine you for littering after you arrive, as you are not allowed to camp out on a bench (not that there is any benches in MRT stations i think? ).

[quote=“TeacherJacob”]Hi all,

I am yet another English teaching fortune seeker soon to be fresh off the boat immigrant to your lovely island…

I’m going through the usual route of arriving with my UK passport and getting a landing-entry stamp and not a visa… I have a return ticket for 5 weeks away from arrival date which is what everyone recommends…

But paranoia is setting in… How many questions will they ask at immigration? I know no one can guarantee but can you maybe share what you know of the ‘normal’ procedure, I’m tempted to go all James Bond and invent some elaborate 5 week tour including maps and reservations for hotels all over the island… Is this too much…? What do you think they are likely to ask me at passport control? Will I need to show them a hotel/hostel reservation for the entire stay? What other documents will they want to see…?

Also, I have a nice shiny CELTA certificate and a cv with lots of lovely English teaching experience, I’m worried they will open my bags and find them and the game will be up. I know they do do that kind of thing in the UK an Australia and though I find it hard to believe that they do this in Taiwan too, is it unheard of?

In short, please advise on the necessary precautions needed to ensure the fact that I won’t be back on the next plane to the UK

Thank you very much[/quote]

Jesus mate you gotta loosen up a bit otherwise you’ll be a broken man within 4 weeks of coming here. If you ask immigration they can prolly introduce you to a cousin whose kids need a teacher. That’s how relaxed it is here.