Immigration Ethics (from Is Taiwan Racist?)

I’m not trying to start an argument here, I swear.
I got no pig in this fight, either way.

It just occurs to one that @NachoPR’s list actually, in some respects, holds immigrants to a higher standard than homegrown citizens.
e.g. I’m pretty sure that natural born citizens of your country (or mine, definitely mine!) won’t lose their passports for not being productive members of society (otherwise several members of my family are in BIG trouble).

How do we feel about that?
There are certainly valid cases to be made either way.
Again, I’m not backing either side, I just think it’s an interesting question.

ps It’s also fascinating to consider that, in Taiwan, there are definitely situations where foreigners have much less leeway on skirting the law than locals, for your consideration

Criminal Law should be equal to us all, citizens and non citizens. Now, immigration is there to serve a country while having in consideration a small number of cases for humanitarian reasons as long as the country can absorb it well. So migrants should be productive, unless sick or with medical accidents, if not working visas would have no more purposes anymore. Now citizens can be productive for their own good or not for their own pleasure, that is up to them. You life is what you make out of it.
Said this society, including the media and the government and any of their agencies should consider that we are all the same spice and not to persecute anyone for their ancestry or origins. This is where Taiwan fails to do well.

3 Likes

Although we are immigrants we shouldn’t ever forget we are guests. Its a choice, often even an expensive and risky one, but a choice nonetheless. So ignorance of so called racist laws is no excuse. Though Taiwan laws on foreigners don’t seem racist.shirty yes, but based solely on our DNA

I would say that children born and raised here, of which most people are already aware, are not treated with equality and fairness I think if Taiwan has to work on quote immigration, or naturalization, it should be for those born here and those who wish to become citizens. Things like.language skill tests, a review of o ea drag on society and economy seem.logical. but as it stands, if a foreigner wants to become a citizen its a true blue sacrifice, and.it.often goes pear shaped. I feel that’s Taiwan’s.big.failure in this arena

While we were enduring the process of my wife becoming a landing immigrant in Canada, our neighbour remarked that if naturalized Canadians were held to the same standards, Newfoundland would be empty (he himself was a Newfie).

Dasarbule, the immigration process in Canada is meant to be tough. This is something the precious snowflake generation does not understand. They can criticize Trump for punishing illegal immigrants, but if we talk about legal immigration, the United States, arguably, has a lot more of an ethical system than Canada.

Why? The US system is about family reunification. Canada`s – by and large is investment/education/point based. I have hyperlinked many articles on here about the detention facilities for immigrants in Canada as well.

Should immigrants be held to a higher standard? No, if they qualify, based on the laws of the land, they qualify. If locals do not like it, change it at the ballot box.

But as someone who has lived most of his life abroad and seen lots of immigrants in various countries around the world, most work their tails off a lot more than the locals. They appreciate the privileges that come along with citizenship.

3 Likes

This is true for most countries I’ve been to as well. It’s certainly true in Taiwan. The people that come to Taiwan are here to work and generally take up jobs most Taiwanese can’t or won’t do. Taiwan needs to make some sort of naturalization process that is reasonable for people that want to be here and contribute. Most countries have the problem of people wanting to get the fuck out, if people want to come and contribute they should have a reasonable process.

Controlled and vetted immigration imo is generally positive. You can have a strong boarder control and and tough immigration process and still be pro immigration. The two are made to be mutually exclusive in the media and politics these days. This open boarder, no human is illegal and it’s somehow a right for anyone to live anywhere agenda is not reasonable and is in my eyes making it harder for people that are legitimately trying to immigrate.

Ive seen pictures of Immigration Detention Centers around the world, Asia, Europe, Canada, Australia, Middle East, South America. Theyre pretty much the same or worse/more horrifying than the US. It only gets worse, some even located on offshore islands to prevent escape

You could have just stopped there and gotten post of the day.

It is why, despite Canada`s multicultural public relations campaigns that try to indicate otherwise, it is not the easiest country to immigrate to if you come from a poor country, are not educated, have no savings, etc. Asians usually have no problem, but if you are from Ghana or Central African Republic?