Impact craters might be directedly connected to antipole volcanoes

The first 10 minutes of this AtlasPro video talks about how that phenomenon is a thing on Mars, and there are some evidence that it is also the case on Earth, despite very little people have talked about it. He proposes the long chain of underwater and surface volcanoes that include the Haiwai’i islands are caused by the Vredefort crater in Africa.

To test his theory, I went through a couple of craters and hot spot volcanoes, and there are many possible fit for the theory, but one really caught my attention after watching another geography video.

In this Peter Zelinka video on Catastrophe and Cartography - Ice Age Floods Visualized, he mentioned that some have proposed an impact might have taken place near Summit Lake in British Columbia during the ice age, and the impact crater is only obscured because the spot was covered with layers of ice.

So I went to look what’s directly opposite to Summit Lake on the Earth, that spot brings me very close to Heard Island and McDonald Islands, as well as the French Southern and Antarctic Lands.

These volcanic islands seem to have surfaced during the Holocene, which matches the time frame of the proposed impact in Canada. If the crater-hot spot volcano connection theory is true, the Summit Lake-McDonald Islands pair could confirm that an impact did hit the Northern American ice sheet.

7 Likes

Fascinating.

I’m not sure about the involved timeframes, but does this (need to) account for continental drift?

1 Like

Cool! So, and I haven’t had time to watch the full vids, are they saying impacts are so great that they crack the mantle and create hot spots on the other side of the earth from impact? And then the earth kinda heals over them? :thinking: :nerd_face:

1 Like

Very interesting! Going to watch in full tonight. Thanks for posting.

Maybe the exact opposite thing is about waves? Seems like a stretch, but want to hear this persons theory.

The animation from AtlasPro suggests that mantle plume travels through the center of the earth to the other side. I imagine it’s more complicated than that. The shockwave would spread out from the epicenter and meet together back at the antipole. It would travel at different speeds through different mediums at different layers. The shockwave probably travels to the antipole the fastest at the crust.

Jesus Christ, that’s some math there.

Yeah, at least it’s something fun to learn about amidst all this doom and gloom.

Well, I guess for those who have to live through a giant meteor impact followed up by a giant volcano eruption, it’s probably also pretty doom and gloom.