Import Bicycle

Hi all,

Looks like my company is moving me to Taichung in September for a couple of years. Would any of you have any insight on whether it’d be worth it to try to import my bicycle (a 2008 Giant OCR1) from the USA or if I’d be better off buying something there. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. If you are a rider in the Taichung area, let me know as it’d be great to have someone to ride with!

[quote=“dleoncavallo”]Hi all,

Looks like my company is moving me to Taichung in September for a couple of years. Would any of you have any insight on whether it’d be worth it to try to import my bicycle (a 2008 Giant OCR1) from the USA or if I’d be better off buying something there. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. If you are a rider in the Taichung area, let me know as it’d be great to have someone to ride with![/quote]

Bicycles tend to be cheaper here than many western countries. I used to work in a bike shop and we had quite a number of customers who would purchase bikes here to ship them back. Admittedly most customers were European though. Not sure if that was because of pricing or just by coincidence.

Is your company paying to move your stuff? I am having two bikes (that I already own) shipped in, at no cost to me. If you have to pay the cost, AND you are not at all “attached” to the bike, AND you can sell it for a decent price, AND you are looking for a great opportunity to upgrade, then leave it behind. But since you already own it, it may make sense to bring it along.

A buddy who was quite into bikes bought and built his own here, took them back to BC, sold them and paid for his airfare.

I am not a big fan of cycling, but I am sure you can find the Giant you like in Taichung. You may have a preview on their website. giant-bicycles.com/zh-tw/bikes/

If you still can’t find any, as to my knowledge, actually there are a number of bicycle parts OEM manufacturers in Taichung or Changhua area, perhaps you are able to have a tailor-made bike when you get here.

Thanks for the replies, all. Honesty, I hadn’t thought about having my company pay for it. GREAT idea! We’ll see if I can work that into my deal!