Import taxes on shipping a car from US to Taiwan?

I am planning to ship a used Mercedes Benz (2001) valued US $30,000 to Taiwan.

Wanting to find out about the imported tax on the vehicle, and also if my current extended warranty will also be covered in Taiwan.

I am a US citizen, do I still have to pay 100% on import tax? Please advise. Thank you,

You can look up shipping agencies in the States that can find out all this info. for you. You can use Taiwanese shipping agents, too, but they’ll have reps in the States. I was going to ship my car over here last november, not a mercedes, but the costs were just too high. It’s not only the taxes, but once your car is here, it must be overhalled to meet Taiwanese emmissions standards which, believe it or not, are much stricter than those in the U.S. It’s completely rediculus considering all the little scooters that belch black gunk all over tha place.

Anyway, just look up a cargo shipping company. They can find out the costs for you. And they’re extremely high.

[quote=“Tangxiaodi”]I am planning to ship a used Mercedes Benz (2001) valued US $30,000 to Taiwan.

Wanting to find out about the imported tax on the vehicle, and also if my current extended warranty will also be covered in Taiwan.

I am a US citizen, do I still have to pay 100% on import tax? Please advise. Thank you,[/quote]

Tangxiaodi, to be honest, it is not worth the grief trying to import your car. Import duties are still payable, although for used cars they are reduced slightly i think, plus the vehicle will have to pass the emissions test. If your vehicle is a model that was imported here then this might not be to much of a problem, if not then you will also be into homologation tests, this can take several months, and if the car fails you have gone through the expense for nothing.

Unless your car is a rare or special model then either sell it there, or leave it safely in a garage awaiting your return and buy here.

With regard to your extended warranty, then i can assure you 100% that it will NOT be acceptable here.

Old thread I know, but I thought I’d offer a response other than “don’t do it.” It is indeed quite expensive, not just for shipping, but import taxes and paying for mechanical work to meet the standards. All that said, you still want to do it, a permit is required if the vehicle is valued higher than $30,000. You can expect a 25% to 50% import duty depending on the circumstances–that’s in addition to the shipping costs and registration process. Here’s a reputable shipper that will be happy to answer your questions even if you don’t hire them https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-taiwan.php Not sure about how it would affect a warranty, but my guess would be that the modifications that will need to be made will have some affect.