Important (Urgent)...What name for Inner Mongolia?

Forumosans. Long time no rub noses.

Got an email from a politically-active friend in Canada, who is currently putting together an art exhibit for the Canadian gov…she asks the following question that I cannot answer:

[b]what is the current politically-correct way to refer to inner mongolia?

i’ve read that the names inner & outer mongolia are sinocentric due to the fact that they are considered inner & outer due to their distance from beijing.

i’ve come across: nei mongol which is the romanized version; and

nei mongol zizhiqu … what of this version? it also appears to be sinocentric, but i need to know what your thoughts are on this.

what do people in hong kong or beijing call inner mongolia?[/b]

this is work related… need the info fast if you can!!

Thank you in advance, Taiwan-lovers.
Kick-Stand in Aberdeen, Hong Kong…but on a clear day I can see Hsin-Tien.

“Inner Mongolia”

Unless they’ve managed to secede in the past week, it’s still Inner Mongolia as the Fluffster points out above.

Deciphering the pinyin and the errant English, it looks like the Inner Mongol Autonomous Area (zizhuqu), which sort of gets my guts churning for some reason.

HG

How about:

“Chinese Communist-Occupied Formerly-Free Mongolia”

“Northern China Involuntary Annex”

“That small place that Russia couldn’t be arsed fighting over and allowed the Chinese to stay in”

“Unliberated Southern Mongolia”

“North Beijing Country Club”

“Chinese Portion of the Kingdom of Mongolia”

“Mongolian outpost in China”

or “Central Asian Sandstorm Generation Area, due to shockingly backward farming practices of the Chinese peasant”

you’re all wrong: it’s the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region 内蒙古自治区 Nèi ménggu Zìzhìqū

My guts are churning again . . . . and you’re wrong. Like Bangkok, it has a long and a short name. It’s actually:

The once autonomous and proud roaming lands of the Young and Noble Khan, but now the cowpattied Inner Mongolian grasslands dedicated to China’s largest dairy, and scene of environmental rape in the name of a ravenous hunger for resources and commodities. Don’t we have an inland sea we can lose too?"

Look it up!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]My guts are churning again . . . . and you’re wrong. Like Bangkok, it has a long and a short name. It’s actually:

The once autonomous and proud roaming lands of the Young and Noble Khan, but now the cowpattied Inner Mongolian grasslands dedicated to China’s largest dairy, and scene of environmental rape in the name of a ravenous hunger for resources and commodities. Don’t we have an inland sea we can lose too?"

Look it up!

HG[/quote]

so whats the long name then?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]My guts are churning again . . . . and you’re wrong. Like Bangkok, it has a long and a short name. It’s actually:

Look it up!

HG[/quote]

so whats the long name then?

When you meet a Mongolian, is it PC to ask, “Are you an Innie or an Outie?”

Seriously. If you are cognizant of the fact that the area was occupied against its will roughly 70 years ago…what would you then call it? I guess this is a question for WIKIPEDIA and not FORUMOSA…

Ok. Got it. The PC term is “Chinese-Occupied Southern Mongolia”…this is the term that repeatedly appears on the following website: innermongolia.org/english/in … apparently, the Republic of China was the first Han government to make a clear annexation. Maybe that’s why you are all so complicit…anyway…I found it interesting that Southern Mongolia was recently admitted to the UNPO.

Is that for the same reason that Poland is called Polish-Occupied Prussia, because the borders changed ?

Are you forgetting about Russian-Occupied Tuva ?

The term “Outer Mongolia” has been called just “Mongolia” for a while now, except those that consider it part of China, of course you knew that when you made your original post.

you are asking to citizens of the Republic of China, so the name should be “Inner Mongolia, Province of the Republic of China”. That is the PC for the next government over here.

And the penny dropped!

URGENT!
By Foreigner.
“You’re not shy, you get around
You wanna fly, don’t want your feet on the ground
You stay up, you won’t come down
You wanna live, you wanna move to the sound…
…Got fire in your veins
Burnin’ hot but you don’t feel the pain
Your desire is insane
You can’t stop until you do it again…
…You play tricks on my mind
You’re everywhere but you’re so hard to find
You’re not warm or sentimental
You’re so extreme, you can be so temperamental”

:note:

My cousin’s wife is from Inner Mongolia.

For some reason, she doesn’t really seem to like it when we refer to her as “the Chinese-Occupied Southern Mongolian”.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Deciphering the Pinyin and the errant English, it looks like the Inner Mongol Autonomous Area (zizhuqu), which sort of gets my guts churning for some reason.

HG[/quote]

Because you’ve got the inner Mongol in your autonomous stomach, duh.

You know, this stupid thread reminds me of some protest organizer a full decade ago (or possibly more) trying to cobble together enough poor poor “occupied” regions and “oppressed” peoples of China to match the number of little stars on its flag – so he could cut them out. He has got your usual greater medieval Tibet, pan-turkic Uighuristan, grand khan’s Southern Mongolia, and ran out of ideas for the fourth star. He solicited comments much like our dear contributor here, and finally settled on the rivivalist bannerdom of Manchuria. Why, of course. Oh, then he solicited volunteer “representatives” to cut out the stars. Some A-bian supporting doofus from Taiwan stood in for the oppressed Manchurian that they couldn’t find.

Hey, maybe it’s the same guy at it again ten years later.

Using a romanized form of the Chinese name is even more sinocentric than just calling it “Inner Mongolia”. And I don’t see how any reasonable name could be ‘politically correct’ - given its history. Just use “Inner Mongolia”. It is English, and therefore more likely to be understood by the intended viewers of the art installation than ‘Nei Mongoru’. People who know about the region and its history will not need anything more pc; people who don’t know about the place will have at least some chance of being able to figure out where it is.

That is, in fact, what the stars on the Communist flag originally stood for–China proper plus its four “outer dependencies” (Manchuria, Mongolia, Turkestan, Tibet). That’s why they’re in that curious arrangement on the flag (though geographically reversed). Later, once the Soviet-style minority policy went out of style, they changed the interpretation to give the stars more doctrinal significance. I think the big star is supposed to be the Communist Party.

Uh, I think you’ve got the PRC flag confused with the early five-color ROC flag. The PRC flag was never about ethnicity. International communism is all about class, transcending boundaries of politics or ethnicity.