Imported goods over NT$2,000 to be levied with customs duty

I just got a box yesterday valued at US$120, they never touched it.

Reported!

No, Next, no tax added.

Can anyone clear up if the custom duty is only for online vendors or does it apply to a friend that ships me something I can’t get in taiwan? Also what if there’s multiple people in my house. If 2 people live here, does that mean I can order 6 under my name and 6 under the other persons name?

If anyone even remotely involved with the creation of these regulations has even thought of these details, I’ll swear off garbage for a year.

2 Likes

Wow–this raccoon is serious!

Guy

Customs will send you a form to fill out, asking for a copy of your ID.

Nope, never happened.

Here it has and it probably will in the future, how else they’re gonna keep track of imports?

Sorry, do you mean Customs contacted you after you received the shipment??

As was discussed here it’s historically been pretty random.
And as was mentioned previously, the new hoo hah is supposed to start in September, so everything could change.

So we’re closing in on September: is there any news on whether or not this levy is going to be imposed in a week, or is it still in the “Eh, we’re considering it” phase?

(An iHerb discount on shipments over USD$40 ends today - and I’m not sure if I need to finesse it to be over $40, but under $50.)

EDIT: Oops - OK, so the limit, if it even exists, is NTD$2,000, which gives me more flexibility than the USD$50 limit I was thinking of.

Is the tariff going to be based on the ordered goods only, or the entire cost of the order, including shipping and whatever tax was already paid? Who decides the value of handmade items? Let’s say I order a tube of handmade paint from the US and I paid US$100, but the maker valued it at US$20 on the customs invoice. Could the TW’ese customs call shenanigans on that?

Only on declared worth, as always.
There’s nothing new about the means of assessing the value, just what they do about it.

As far as understating the value, well sure, you might be able to get your sister to put that your Fruit Roll Ups are a gift, big deal.
No actual dealer who hopes to stay in business for long, however, is going to start effectively perpetrating mail fraud because you ask him to.

Could the TW’ese customs call shenanigans on that?

Of course not, nor would they care to.
This isn’t about nailing @Toe_Save’s ass to the wall because he got a couple rolls of hockey tape sent over. :roll:

Many countries include the carriage as well and charge a percentage on the total you paid for the goods (goods+carriage).

They forgot to add, “and allow online retailers to rip customers off”.

I can buy a certain product at 30mg, 240 capsules from iHerb for NT$629 while the exact same product but only 60 capsules in the bottle is NT$910 on PChome. And the PChome bumper deal of NT$1800 for 180 capsules just pisses me off.

They simply can’t compete with services in China. My pal who works on both sides is amazed by the quality and speed and variety. She was showing me many examples. If they let the people here use those ecommerce platforms, they simply will not use local ones. So, instead of improving, they enforce a monopoly.

That’s pretty standard, most foreign health products, supplements carry a 80 to 100% mark up in Taiwan. That is why they want to tilt the playing field. It is fair right now.

Agreed. Just check the enormous taobao selection. I’ve bought a number of items there, most ship within hours with constant updates and tracking provided.

The wife juSt bought some shoes for the kids on laobao, at least half the price of the same items in Taiwan. Of course plenty of the items you can’t even get in Taiwan!

3 Likes