Importing a car INTO Taiwan

I know the basic laws for it, just mainly one question i got

I know its illegal to motor swap a car in taiwan, but is it illegal to import a car that has a motor already swapped to be imported? I been trying to find that info on the net for awhile. i been thinking about moving here for awhile. Its been fun since i got here a month ago, but i wouldnt leave home without my baby.

in case you want to know, I had my car for over 7 years, its a 86 toyota corolla(AE86) on its 4th engine 3rd transmission 3rd rearend. not worth the money i put into it, but its got sentimental value. so my numbers really dont match heh

Thanks in advance

if your car have legal license after you swapped the engine in your country…i think that will be no problem!!! ( NOT SURE)
all you need is money and time to import it!!

You want to try and import a 21year old car with dodgy paperwork into a country that currently has some of the cheapest used cars on the planet? I think the sentiment will dwindle quickly when you find out how much it’s going to cost you to do so. Besides, there isn’t a chance in Hades that you’ll get by the emissions tests.

Used cars are cheap here.

Information about the cost and the hassle here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=27369

Not sure about the legality of importing that particular car, but I agree with MJB anyway.

lata wrote: [quote]not worth the money i put into it, but its got sentimental value. [/quote]
Forget about importing the car bro. Getting laid in Taiwan is pretty easy. It won’t be long before you have a nice girl and the corolla is a distant memory. :wink:

And welcome to forumosa.

[quote=“lata”]I know the basic laws for it, just mainly one question i got

I know its illegal to motor swap a car in taiwan, but is it illegal to import a car that has a motor already swapped to be imported? I been trying to find that info on the net for awhile. i been thinking about moving here for awhile. Its been fun since i got here a month ago, but i wouldnt leave home without my baby.

in case you want to know, I had my car for over 7 years, its a 86 toyota corolla(AE86) on its 4th engine 3rd transmission 3rd rearend. not worth the money i put into it, but its got sentimental value. so my numbers really dont match heh

Thanks in advance[/quote]

There is no way in hell you will be able to imort that. I would plan on having all the fluids drained in that baby, disconnecting the battery, and putting a locked car cover over her. If you plan on going home, even if it is in 5 years, your car will always be there. You could even put it in a closed storage facility and pay monthly payments on it. If it is your baby, then it is worth it. I have two classic cars at home right now. Thanks for pops, he could take one of them, 1951 GMC pickup. I had to store away my 1963 Plymouth, doubt she will run hahaha, but she is all wrapped up and in a with a friend.

As for paperwork, its all legal in Utah, but for Taiwan, I know its out of the question. But if i get a certification of compliance, i think i should be fine for the Taiwan side. Since my car is now running a 2006 motor, i doubt they would cry too much about emissions.

I did the calculation that JOESAX linked. So, I can value my car to be about 1000usd, since its that old, I could probably get away with it, or even 300 heh. calculating on 1000, im looking at 36210 NT worth of tax/fees. Thats roughly 1097usd. so if all in all it ends up costing me about 3000/4000 usd, i will be content.

As for cheap cars, yeah, used cars here are so cheap! but nothing really that i want, since i cant really mod anything. My car is.

Almas John wrote

[quote]Forget about importing the car bro. Getting laid in Taiwan is pretty easy. It won’t be long before you have a nice girl and the corolla is a distant memory.

And welcome to forumosa.[/quote]

heh, noticed. im not even white, LOL.

rk1951, I just cant leave without my baby. besides, i doubt i would ever want to go back to Utah or the States at that.

I understand your sentiment with the AE86. One of my buddies simply can’t let go of his Corolla AE86 (GTS in the US). It’s got a cult following. A lot of drifters race these cars on the street and total them, so they’re getting harder and harder to find. You might be better off using that tax money modding a used car in Taiwan instead.

By the way, the AE86 has gone up in price in the past few years. Just 5 years ago, they were under $1000. Now a pristine one is going for $3000+ in California.

Yeah, I bought mine 7 years back for $550. In utah you cant find one under 2000. one that is in great shape and bone stock is 3000+. So yeah, definately there is a cult following.
I cant seem to find anything good to mod here in taiwan that is RWD besides bmw and mercedes, or the imported 240sx and ae86 that they want more than 8K for a stock car. plus its hard to find mod parts here, the ones i found cost more than the states. thought they would be cheaper here since japan is just a 3 hour trip away.

still searching for my answer… I get mixed answers, yes, no, if i have cert yes, it i have cert and proof of origination yes, if i have both of that still doesnt matter no. Man, I feel like im in utah trying to explain that a newer engine will produce less emission all over again.