Importing a classic VW camper


I’ve recently moved to Taipei from the US. I left my pride and joy (1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia camper, otherwise known as a T3) in storage with the intent of importing it once I get settled in. Can someone tell me where I can go to get some info on importation proceedings, guidelines etc. Thank you.


If its really your pride and joy then you’d best leave it where it is. Taipei roads and road users will no doubt kill it if you plan on actually using it.

I’ve heard that the duty on bringing cars to Taiwan is retardedly high. But seeing how you drive a toaster stateside you probably spent much of your time in said ride retardedly high anyways. Right up your alley then, huh?

If Jerry, Bob, Phil, Micky, Pig Pen and Bill all lived in Taiwan they’d leave the V-dub at home, in storage next to the tie-dyes and date-labeled cassettes.

You should do the same.

Dude, buy a blue truck. Paint it yellow. Paint the canvas top tie-dye, install a hand-cranked Chinese military portable generator.

Put an awning extender on the canvas back, hook up some speakers and an electric stove to cook your vegetarian meat pies, add incense holders and a disco ball.

You could rent it out to rural funeral strippers during the week if you added a fold up stage.