Importing car

Hello, was wondering to import my 1994 mitsubshi 3000GT to Taiwan. Anyone know how much the tax will be and what procedures I need to go through? some link or help will be really appreciated. The car worth about 10k now and I know it’s probably not worth it to bring it to Taiwan…but I just really like it. hmmm also Taiwan doesn’t have this car so if my car break down it will be costly to get the parts I think. well…any help will be really appreciated.

by the way is it cheaper to buy air tickets in TW or in USA? how much for cheapest tix from KHH to LAX

thanks!

from my understanding, it would cost A LOT to ship your car from state to Taiwan. The bad part is that your car is a 94, it means that they will charge you MORE on the custom when you landed in Taiwan due to the fact that it is an old car and it have more problems.

If it is a new car then it would be different because it is new, and less problem, so custom would charged you less on taxes and stuff.

friend was thinking about shipping his BMW to Taiwan but cut out the though cuz it was too expensive to do so and all those money that he would pay for taxes, cutstom and all these other stuff, he can literally get another decent car here in TW

I will try to find a link for you when I can since I am not good @ explaining things.

Thanks Miaka u explained it well and a link or two will be even better…but just how much tax I have to pay any idea? someone give me some number for this car or a brand new 17k car…thaks

You can’t fly reverse, i.e. you need to purchase the ticket at your point of departure.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just buy a used or new car in Taiwan?

Some comments specific to this case are that the 3000GT was never officially sold in Taiwan, so see the section below about parts and repair. Some people have brought in 3000GTs on their own, so there are a few out there. If you are set on having a 3000GT in Taiwan, it might be more cost effective to sell yours, and buy one of the ones that are already here. I’ve seen them come up for sale from time to time. That way, someone else took care of the import taxes, shipping and inspections. It will probably still cost more than a comparable example 3000GT you might find in your home country, but the difference will probably be less than what it would cost to bring your car over, and definitely a lot less hassle.

The taxes are high, because Taiwan is quite protective of their domestic auto assembly industry. Nobody would buy Taiwanese built cars if the price of imports were not artificially inflated by heavy taxation. Imports generally cost anywhere from 1.5 to 3x of their home market (or US) price.

This is copied from my reply to a similar thread a few months back:

I looked into bringing my car over last year, and here’s my understanding of the situation. If anything is outdated or wrong, feel free to chime in.

Taiwan is very protective of it’s domestic auto assembly industry, and taxes are generally high on imported cars and parts, whether they are imported by the manufacturer or by an individual.

• There is only one way you can get a car into Taiwan tax free. The requirement is that you are a Taiwanese citizen, and you went abroad to study/work. When you return, once in your lifetime, you are allowed to bring in one car tax free. The said car has to have more than 10,000 miles on the odometer, and the previous registration must have been in your name for at least two years. This only exempts you from the tax. You still will need to pay shipping and inspection fees. There’s actually a big business where importers will pay people to use their names. These people usually qualify, but have no plans of ever bringing a car back. You might want to look into one of these companies. You’ll have to pay them a fee, but it will probably be less than the tax. I’m not exactly sure how they get around the registration name thing though.

• For everyone else, there are no freebies. If the car is less than one year old, or has less than 10,000 miles on the odometer, you are subject to a 75% tax on the current “Blue Book” value of the car. If the car is more than one year old, and has more than 10,000 miles on the odometer, then you are subject to a 30% tax on the Blue Book value.

Once the car is here, and you’ve paid all taxes, it’s not over yet. You still have to have the car inspected for emissions and safety before you can legally register it. This applies to everyone. The inspection station is in Changhua and the inspection costs about NT$60,000. So, you’ll need to have the car transported (tow/flatbed/carrier) from the port of entry to Changhua. Total shipping costs from abroad to Changhua will run anywhere from NT$60,000-NT$120,000 if shipping from the US. Can’t comment on shipping from other countries.

Taiwan doesn’t allow right hand drive cars, so cars from Japan, UK, or Australia are generally unable to be imported.

One sidenote, but this method is not really feasible for the average foreigner. A lot of used car dealers in Taiwan will often bring in cars declared as “scrap metal”, thus bypassing the usual taxes. Or, they will bring in a car which is disassembled as “scrap parts”, then reassemble it once it’s in the country. How they register it, I’m not too sure.

So, when all is said and done, depending on what car you are bringing in, the taxes, inspection, shipping, and registration will be at least 50% or more of the value of the car itself.

Then, once the car is here and registered, you have the problem of parts and repair. You lose any warranty you may have had, factory or otherwise. You’ll have to have all parts, including even the smallest ones shipped from the country the car was originally sold in, and you’ll have to find a local mechanic who knows how to fix it. You’ll have to pay import taxes on some of the larger parts. This is under the assumption that the car you are bringing in is not something that’s already available in Taiwan, because if it’s already available in Taiwan, then it’s a lot more cost effective just to buy it here. Even if you bring in a car that is available here, certain parts may still have to be shipped from your home country, as there are some differences between different markets for the same model of car.

As much as I wanted to import my car, it would have cost 50% of the value of the car just to get it here. That, and the parts/repair issue effectively killed the idea.

Thanks ben, that was very helpful…
man that’s too much hasssssssle…I will just buy a car in tw then…ummm, can you give me a site to buy cars in tw? i want to look at what cars tw have…to my understanding tw doesn’t have that much cars compared to usa…I am loking for sports cars…thansk again

dave

[quote=“okaythen01”]Thanks ben, that was very helpful…
man that’s too much hasssssssle…I will just buy a car in tw then…ummm, can you give me a site to buy cars in tw? I want to look at what cars tw have…to my understanding tw doesn’t have that much cars compared to USA…I am loking for sports cars…thansk again

dave[/quote]

Yeah, the selection of cars in Taiwan is pretty limited unless you have lots of $$$$ to spend.

Anything that is not a 4-door, 4-cylinder, automatic transmission, Taiwanese assembled car is generally pretty expensive.

Using the 3000GT as an example, I found 2 for sale, a '94 and a '95. The asking prices are around US$21,000 give or take. Seeing what a '94 or '95 3000GT costs in the US, well, you get the idea. And these 2 aren’t even VR-4s.

There aren’t any “affordable” enthusiast cars (RSX, GTi, Mustang, SE-R, Celica, etc.) available either.

Anyway, the two largest sites for used cars are:

http://www.carbuys.com.tw
and
http://www.eauto.com.tw

If you’re looking at new cars, I think those sites should have them too.

Happy shopping! :wink:

why do you want a sport car in Taiwan? You can’t even enjoy driving it w/ all the traffic, speed limite, polution, parking… nah, its not worth it! I would rather get a sedan here…

I thought you would be more into something spacious, like a van … :wink:

When I first came to Taiwan, I couldn’t decide whether to bring the Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertible or the Lamborghini Murci

While not ideal as a daily driver in city traffic, there are actually plenty of places to take a sports car in Taiwan. As a car/driving enthusiast, if I could afford it, I’d have a sedan-type car and a sports car. This was the arrangement I had back home, and it worked pretty well. The sedan type car would be the daily driver, and the sports car could be taken out on evenings and weekends when there is no rush hour traffic, or into the mountains for some spirited weekend driving (within the law, within your skill limits, and accounting for traffic/weather conditions of course). Light traffic on the #2 Northern Freeway makes for some good spirited driving conditions too. If you are in the right club, or know the right people, you might be able to get some track time in LongTan. That is one thing I miss. Back home, it was relatively easy to get a bunch of friends together and rent a racetrack for the day.

I thought you would be more into something spacious, like a van … :wink:[/quote]Why’s that ? Are you saying Miaka’s fat ?

As long as you know where the cameras are. Anyway, what’s “spirited” about speeding on the freeway? Its less boring than regular freeway driving by only a tiny magin. Sure not worth buying a sports car for. And as for fast driving on the mountain roads? Driving conditions are simply NEVER suitable – those crazy blue trucks can appear on the bend in front of you at any time of day, night or year.

As long as you know where the cameras are. Anyway, what’s “spirited” about speeding on the freeway? Its less boring than regular freeway driving by only a tiny magin. Sure not worth buying a sports car for. And as for fast driving on the mountain roads? Driving conditions are simply NEVER suitable – those crazy blue trucks can appear on the bend in front of you at any time of day, night or year.[/quote]

As far as I know, radar detectors are legal now, so cameras are less of a problem than they used to be.

Granted, in the mountains, conditions will never be as good as they might be, say, in the US, but you make the best of the what you have to work with. No matter where you are, conditions will NEVER be ideal except for a well maintained racetrack on a clear day. On the road, there may be blue trucks that can appear, and you should account for that, so that you are driving well within your limits for the prevailing conditions. It might not be worth it for you to have a sports car then, but many people, and many clubs in Taiwan might beg to differ. :wink:

I like driving my blue truck on the way to mass, but you always seem to get some boy racer coming up too fast behind you, I slow him down a bit, hehe :laughing:

I wouldn’t dare to claim that. :sunglasses: (She certainly isn’t fat)

Ben thanks again…those 2 sites are mostly for used cars…can you give me sites for new cars?
yeah now that I think abvout it in tw it’s not really a good idea to buy a sport car, island is too small there is nowhere u can go. with the traffic and all…sport car will be kinda useless here. maybe I will buy a sport sedan. man actually in tw it’s just sucks to drive around compared to usa. oh well…maybe sport car will be good for the chicks heh

Yeah, the selection of cars in Taiwan is pretty limited unless you have lots of $$$$ to spend.

Anything that is not a 4-door, 4-cylinder, automatic transmission, Taiwanese assembled car is generally pretty expensive.

Using the 3000GT as an example, I found 2 for sale, a '94 and a '95. The asking prices are around US$21,000 give or take. Seeing what a '94 or '95 3000GT costs in the US, well, you get the idea. And these 2 aren’t even VR-4s.

There aren’t any “affordable” enthusiast cars (RSX, GTi, Mustang, SE-R, Celica, etc.) available either.

Anyway, the two largest sites for used cars are:

carbuys.com.tw
and
eauto.com.tw

If you’re looking at new cars, I think those sites should have them too.

Happy shopping!

?

[quote=“Ben”]Some comments specific to this case are that the 3000GT was never officially sold in Taiwan, so see the section below about parts and repair. Some people have brought in 3000GTs on their own, so there are a few out there. If you are set on having a 3000GT in Taiwan, it might be more cost effective to sell yours, and buy one of the ones that are already here. I’ve seen them come up for sale from time to time. That way, someone else took care of the import taxes, shipping and inspections. It will probably still cost more than a comparable example 3000GT you might find in your home country, but the difference will probably be less than what it would cost to bring your car over, and definitely a lot less hassle.

The taxes are high, because Taiwan is quite protective of their domestic auto assembly industry. Nobody would buy Taiwanese built cars if the price of imports were not artificially inflated by heavy taxation. Imports generally cost anywhere from 1.5 to 3x of their home market (or US) price.

This is copied from my reply to a similar thread a few months back:

I looked into bringing my car over last year, and here’s my understanding of the situation. If anything is outdated or wrong, feel free to chime in.

Taiwan is very protective of it’s domestic auto assembly industry, and taxes are generally high on imported cars and parts, whether they are imported by the manufacturer or by an individual.

• There is only one way you can get a car into Taiwan tax free. The requirement is that you are a Taiwanese citizen, and you went abroad to study/work. When you return, once in your lifetime, you are allowed to bring in one car tax free. The said car has to have more than 10,000 miles on the odometer, and the previous registration must have been in your name for at least two years. This only exempts you from the tax. You still will need to pay shipping and inspection fees. There’s actually a big business where importers will pay people to use their names. These people usually qualify, but have no plans of ever bringing a car back. You might want to look into one of these companies. You’ll have to pay them a fee, but it will probably be less than the tax. I’m not exactly sure how they get around the registration name thing though.

• For everyone else, there are no freebies. If the car is less than one year old, or has less than 10,000 miles on the odometer, you are subject to a 75% tax on the current “Blue Book” value of the car. If the car is more than one year old, and has more than 10,000 miles on the odometer, then you are subject to a 30% tax on the Blue Book value.

Once the car is here, and you’ve paid all taxes, it’s not over yet. You still have to have the car inspected for emissions and safety before you can legally register it. This applies to everyone. The inspection station is in Changhua (Zhanghua) and the inspection costs about NT$60,000. So, you’ll need to have the car transported (tow/flatbed/carrier) from the port of entry to Changhua (Zhanghua). Total shipping costs from abroad to Changhua (Zhanghua) will run anywhere from NT$60,000-NT$120,000 if shipping from the US. Can’t comment on shipping from other countries.

Taiwan doesn’t allow right hand drive cars, so cars from Japan, UK, or Australia are generally unable to be imported.

One sidenote, but this method is not really feasible for the average foreigner. A lot of used car dealers in Taiwan will often bring in cars declared as “scrap metal”, thus bypassing the usual taxes. Or, they will bring in a car which is disassembled as “scrap parts”, then reassemble it once it’s in the country. How they register it, I’m not too sure.

So, when all is said and done, depending on what car you are bringing in, the taxes, inspection, shipping, and registration will be at least 50% or more of the value of the car itself.

Then, once the car is here and registered, you have the problem of parts and repair. You lose any warranty you may have had, factory or otherwise. You’ll have to have all parts, including even the smallest ones shipped from the country the car was originally sold in, and you’ll have to find a local mechanic who knows how to fix it. You’ll have to pay import taxes on some of the larger parts. This is under the assumption that the car you are bringing in is not something that’s already available in Taiwan, because if it’s already available in Taiwan, then it’s a lot more cost effective just to buy it here. Even if you bring in a car that is available here, certain parts may still have to be shipped from your home country, as there are some differences between different markets for the same model of car.

As much as I wanted to import my car, it would have cost 50% of the value of the car just to get it here. That, and the parts/repair issue effectively killed the idea.[/quote]

do they have someone in the states that can do all the paper work and all the work and I just pay them for the service?