Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Hi everybody. I’m currently living in Kunming, on the mainland and picked up a cute little dog here named Maurice. In August I hope to be moving to Taibei, but I’m having trouble finding out information about import regulations from China because most Taiwanese government sites are blocked by the Chinese government. I did manage to find some e-mail addresses and other info using this forum, so I sent a quick message to one of the quarantine vets. This was the response I got:

I regret having to inform you that dog imported into Taiwan from China is prohibited, according to

I looked at the new rules that come into effect on June 6 of this year (very soon).

Here’s some relevant information for you:

quote Dogs or cats from Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, and China (not include Hong Kong and Macao) are not allowed to be imported into Taiwan.
(4) Dogs or cats shall not be transshipped through Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh or China (not include Hong Kong and Macao).
[/quote]

quote Dogs or cats imported from Thailand shall be in compliance with the regulation of importing from rabies-infected country and the following quarantine requirements:
(A) The dogs and cats shall be detained for pre-export quarantine in an approved isolated quarantine premises under the supervision of the animal quarantine authorities of Thailand government for at least 21 days prior to shipment. During the pre-export quarantine, the dogs and cats shall be inspected and found free from clinical evidence of any communicable disease and be subject to the following avian influenza tests with the designated time and method:
(i) Nasal swab samples from dogs and cats shall be taken on 14 days prior to export, and be tested by reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test for H5 subtype virus with negative results.
(ii) Sera samples from dogs and cats shall be taken on 7days prior to export, and be tested by Haemagglutination inhibition (HI) test for antibody against H5 subtype virus with negative results.
(B) The original veterinary certificate in English issued by the animal quarantine authorities of Thailand government should attest additionally the beginning and end dates of pre-export quarantine, dates of samples collection for avian influenza diagnostic tests, test methods, subtype avian influenza virus being tested, dates of tests and test results
[/quote]

[quote]Dogs or cats to be shipped after June 6, 2005 from rabies-infected countries

1. The dog or cat to be imported shall have been implanted microchip and be vaccinated against rabies, in the case of a primary vaccination, at the age of at least 90 days old, and the period between the day of vaccination and the day of shipment shall be no less than 180 days and no more than one year. In the case of a booster vaccination, the animal shall have been vaccinated no more than one year prior to shipment.
  2. At least 180 days prior to shipment, blood sample of dogs or cats to be imported shall be taken and sent to the designated laboratory (list of designated laboratories by this Bureau is as attachment C) for neutralization antibody titration test for rabies antibody which shall be at least 0.5IU/ml.
  3. The importer shall apply for an import permit and make reservation of the post-entry quarantine space from Hsinchu Branch or Kaohsiung Airport Inspection Station of Kaohsiung Branch (contact information, attachment B), at least 30 days prior to shipment by submitting the following documents:
    (1) Application (Application form, attachment A-2)
    (2) Rabies vaccination certificate issued by a veterinarian of exporting country and certifying vaccination by inactivated vaccines. The rabies vaccination certificate shall be in Chinese, English or bilingual and state the breed, sex, age, microchip number, date of rabies vaccination, and whether the vaccination was primary or a booster.
    (3) Report of neutralization antibody titration test for rabies antibody which shall be at least 0.5IU/ml and tested by rabies reference laboratories of the World Organization for Animal Health or laboratories designated by the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine with the blood sampling date no less than 180 days and no more than 2 years prior to shipment.
    (4) A copy of passport or identification card of the importer.
  4. The importer shall apply to the animal quarantine authority of exporting country for a veterinary certificate, the veterinary certificate shall be in Chinese, English or bilingual and include the following information:
    (1) Breed, sex, age, and microchip number of the dog or cat.
    (2) Date of vaccination against rabies with inactivated vaccine, and whether the vaccination was primary or a booster.
    (3) No clinical sign of rabies shown upon inspection of the dog or cat.
    (4) At least 0.5 IU/ml rabies antibody in the blood of the dog or cat sampled no less than 180 days and no more than 2 years prior to shipment for a neutralization antibody titration test which shall be carried out by rabies reference laboratories of the World Organization for Animal Health or laboratories designated by the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine.
  5. On arrival of the dog or cat at the port of entry, the importer shall apply to the animal quarantine authority for quarantine inspection and submit the import permit, original veterinary certificate issued by the animal quarantine authority of exporting country, bill of lading or customs declaration form (or B/L). The dog or cat without an original veterinary certificate issued by the animal quarantine authority of exporting country shall be re-exported or destroyed.
  6. When conducting quarantine inspection of the dog or cat imported from rabies-infected countries, animal quarantine authority at the port of entry shall check the veterinary certificate and detain the dog or cat at the designated post-entry quarantine premise for 21 days. During quarantine detention, the blood of the dog or cat may be sampled and tested again for rabies antibody. If the rabies antibody is under 0.5 IU/ml, the dog or cat shall be revaccinated with inactivated rabies vaccine.
  7. Please be advised that if any incompliance is found in the statement of the certificate, the dogs or cats will be re-exported, destroyed or detained at the designated post-entry quarantine premise for 180 days.
    [/quote]

I will see if I can get the whole set of rules up onto the Animals Taiwan website. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

Brian

quote=“Quarantine Rules for the Importation for Dogs or Cats into Taiwan” Dogs or cats from Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, and China (not include Hong Kong and Macao) are not allowed to be imported into Taiwan.
(4) Dogs or cats shall not be transshipped through Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh or China (not include Hong Kong and Macao).
[/quote]

That’s the essential part I guess, looks like you could do a work-around via HK as it’s excluded in both articles. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you the entire text if you want. Good Luck, Xpet.

This thread:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=

Made me aware that new quarantine regulations take effect June 6 of this year.

This link This link opens a word file with the regs.

In that thread someone mentioned not being able to open the regulations from China. I wonder if we could host the regs on the Animals Taiwan site?

Brian

Bring/send the dog to somewhere from which Taiwan accepts dogs, and import it from there.

I have a small parrot and want to bring it with me to Taiwan. I want toi know any issues I may run into. If there are any other bird owners out there, personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

There is a lot of paperwork involved if your parrot is on the CITES list of endangered species. That’s step #1. If so, you need to get in contact with the US Fish and Wildlife Services, if you’re from the USA, that is.
Begin your search here: cites.org/
Also, there’s the question of quarantine and health certificate. You need a USDA certified avian vet to quarantine and check out your bird.
Does your bird have a leg band?

Thanks for the info. He is not on the endangered list and he does have a legband.

I’ve gotten all my info together. I’ll PM you some contact info when you’re ready to do this.
Keep in mind that you’ll need a month-long quarantine for your bird before you bring him.

Hey everyone,

We brought a chihuahua named Tequila to Texas last year from Taiwan as a present for my mom. My mom recently decided to come back to Taiwan next year and is hoping to bring Tequila back with her. I heard through the grapevine that dogs brought into Taiwan must be quarantined for at least 6 weeks. Is that true? Anything we can do to get around that??

Thanks!

what i heard was 21 days from us to taiwan, and you’ll have to go there to feed him every day in addition to paying a fee.

Bri, the link doesn’t work for me :frowning: Do you have an alternative link? Or could send me the whole file? Or tell me if there is any info on the time frame within which I can bring a Taiwanese cat back in without all the hassle?

Could we merge all the quarantine and importing pets threads and make a sticky on how to bring pets INTO Taiwan? I’d be happy to look for all the relevant threads and make a list…

Iris

I found the original webpage on where to download the word document (in an old post by rice_t).

Looks like my blood test mess with Tuesday in spring was worth something after all :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: : I should still be able to use the document as it’s newer than 2 years. And if I had to do it now, I’d have to wait for a whole 3 months before being able to bring her back in :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

cool :smiley:

hi i have a question. i called the quarantine department in taiwan a few days ago. and they’ve told me what to do with THEIR part, but they thought i might need to contact the customs office in taiwan. Is that true? Does anyone know anything about that? Did you contact the customs office or have to check with the requirements? I never knew importing pets had to do with them. If anyone has any answers, please help out!

Anyone??? Please???

Jess,
I don’t know the answer to your question yet. But I’m bringing my own dog into taiwan, and I’m calling my vet in Taiwan tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll have more info soon.

thanks a lot battlepanda, please let me know if you know anything. where are you bringing in your dog from?

anyone else??

can anyone even see this message??

This may be a bit OT, but a friend today told me how he last year took his dog back to the States for a couple of months and then brought him back to Taiwan without having to be quarantined. He said rules indicated that if you take your pet back to the States (I’m assuming some other countries are included as well) for less than six months, the pet is allowed entry back into Taiwan without a quarantine requirement (as long as a vet in the US fills out health forms on the dog a couple of days before returning to Taiwan).

Is anyone else familiar with such a rule? Or has this been cancelled since the latest animal import rules went into effect last year?