In and out of Taxi

Can someone (914) please clarify this?

From Wikipedia:
“The Hokkien (dialect): a Chinese dialect, often called Minnan or Minnanhua (Southern Min), a member of the Min dialect branch, similar to Taiwanese.”

So, people in Taiwan speak Fukinese and Hokkien? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

And what about Hakka? I though Hakka was the third most popular dialect in Taiwan?

[/quote]
Fee, irishstu and rest of the dudes,

I am so sorry. The two "H"s made me coo coo. I meant to type Hakka is the third most popular dialect. Can’t believe I typed those posts this afternoon. Musta been still asleep.

I’m so sorry, awful awful mistake to make. I’m going to hang my head in shame. So sorry for the confusion. :blush:

WOuld sb pls add PITA to the WIki? Tks.

[quote=“fee”]
Right, but doesn’t this stymie communication. Will these people speak in English to others? Will they use any other language, but Mandarin, to communicate? Or do they speak only Taiwanese in every situation?[/quote]Those with poor foreign language skills would speak to me in Taiwanese and tolerate my horrible mixture of Taiwanese and Mandarin. The others would speak anything handy, as long as it wasn’t Mandarin.

Adding it in the WIKI would be too much a PITA. Sorry. I am OLMF.