"in back of" and other Americanisms

[quote]The variants, at the back of, from about 1400, and in back of, from the early 1900s, also can be used both literally and figuratively. . . .[/quote]–The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms, Christine Ammer, ed.

Please see also Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary of English Usage: [quote]Both back of and in back of are standard in American English.[/quote]

The following stage directions are from Eugene O’Neill, The Iceman Cometh:

[quote]In back of this table are three empty chairs.

. . . gets to the chair in back of CAPTAIN LEWIS.

. . . moves away to take a chair in back of the left end of the table. . . .

ROCKY stands in back of them, a hand on each of their shoulders. . . .

. . . disgustedly putting the key on the shelf in back of the bar.
[/quote]

[quote]The Nobel Prize in Literature 1936 was awarded to Eugene O’Neill “for the power, honesty and deep-felt emotions of his dramatic works, which embody an original concept of tragedy”.[/quote] nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/lite … ates/1936/

Weird, no idea why! disabling safe search only bumped it up to 19,900,000, thought that might be cutting out some things happening in back of my house

Oh alright Charlie, point taken. ‘in back of’ is a real phrase, all over North America. Doesn’t change that I hadn’t heard it used until I asked, but my circle is generally not from NA!

Maybe the ghost of Nathaniel Hawthorne has visited your 'puter:

[quote]Bewitching to my fancy are all those nooks and crannies where Nature, like a stray partridge, hides her head among the long-established haunts of men! It is likewise to be remarked, as a general rule, that there is far more of the picturesque, more truth to native and characteristic tendencies, and vastly greater suggestiveness in the back view of a residence, whether in town or country, than in its front. The latter is always artificial; it is meant for the world’s eye, and is therefore a veil and a concealment. Realities keep in the rear, and put forward an advance guard of show and humbug.

But, to return to my window at the back of the hotel.[/quote]–The Blithedale Romance (1852)

No problem. A language is so big that it’s easy to miss a drop here and there. I shouldn’t be too surprised if I find I’ve missed bucketfuls.