In future no non-hybrid 6 cylinder engines?

I have three cars that were going to be scrapped, only because the previous owners had basically given up on them and wanted something shiny. Don’t have to worry about depreciation or monthly payments or resale value. It’s nice.

Also, I’d point out that if I had a newer car and had the monthly payments I would never have been so fortunate as to been able to go on my Taiwan and Japan trip, so as far as I see it, it’s creating me opportunities.

1 Like

No need to. I’m happy to listen. I haven’t spent much time in California, but I’d assume they get the same benefits as Florida cars. Winters are rough on them.

Getting back on topic, if they could solve the battery aging problem electric cars could last almost forever. Motors do not go bad unless you run them far above their design limits. Just like all those electric locomotives TRA uses, they’re most likely over 40 years old.

I wonder why can’t they have a battery swap program like Gogoro but for cars? You know I’m sure some automated system could be created where you drive the car into a special dock and the machine swaps the battery for you. I know Tesla reconditions and recycles battery packs. In fact currently Tesla uses those 16850 cells by the millions to build a pack, and so they can be replaced as needed (Tesla developed a new cell for their packs by the way).

When I suggested the idea of battery swap for Tesla on some other forum people got offended. Why is that?

1 Like

China has an electric car with battery swap. I remember it only takes like 15 minutes or so. I’ll try to find the article.

Only 3 minutes.

I was thinking about the lexus rx350 versus the hybrid one which they call rx450H. Its the same car both with v6 engines except one has an additional hybrid motor.
Not that i was thinking of buying one as they are like 60k for the 450h .my budget is 20k like for the 2020 subaru impreza non turbo.

but a dude was saying that a battery failed on his friends and the stealership wanted 7000 for a new battery but whats worse the electric motor actually failed (or some part of it, called the inverter) and that was going to be 9000 bucks. I think the dude is going to junk the car as its ten years old and has near 200k miles on it.

which means its better to buy the rx350 as those things will still be going strong after ten years and 200k Miles.
no battery or electric motor problems.

I leased my wife a prius C but then bought it. I read that those things are usually lasting 400k or more miles and the battery doesnt usually fail and if it does its like 3000 dollars (get a rebuilt for 2000 ) so im keeping fingers crossed. DIdnt hear of any electric motor failures

Must be the inverter whatever they call it. Because the motors are brushless so theoretically they last forever as there is no contact .

Silly people getting defensive of their proud brand. You get it with Volvo as well, tribalism.

Motors and inverters should not fail unless they’re run well past their design limits…

Especially brushless motors. There are brushless motors that are over 100 years old out there. And running basically nonstop all those time too.

1 Like

yeah i dont even know what an inverter is ?? lol
And now i dont wanna know because i aint gonna get one with one (hoping the prius doesnt have one of em fancy inverters)

Scotty the mechanic of youtube fame always says if you gotta get a hybrid get a new one so you can get some useful life outa one. He said dont get a used hybrid becuase once the problems start those things cant be fixed by your everyday mechanic like himself and they are tooo complicated and cost a fortune to get right again.

I got a check engine light on for years since my cat is on the way out (my ford telstar in taiwan never even had a cat to go bad) and its got a check airbag light on for years as well because the airbag system is probably turned off because some part of the wiring is amiss. I don’t really want to have acura look at it because its gonna cost money and also because my airbags are 17 years old and im not sure they wont just blow on their own…and also they may be Takata airbags that kill people…so im leaving them in the OFF position and just getting used to the light… My telstar never had no airbags at all.

So my telstar would still have been good. no cat no airbags to light lights on the cluster.

ok so this is what an inverter does. and yes the prius has had recalls

Here in Taiwan the dealer gave me a quick price of NT$3,400,000 for the Lexus 450h. One reason I wanted the 350 for their V6 engine as thought that engine would last till I am no longer driving. Yes, the 450h uses same engine but with the complications of batteries and separate drives on back wheels. The dealer told me 8 year battery warranty. Interesting. I read in U.S. is 10 years. I just don’t want to pay that price and worry after 8 years about replacing batteries. Yes, batteries could be very reliable now but the amount of opinions out there is confusing with some saying best to drive very often (but what is often?).

1 Like

Now Honda does not sell 2.0L or 2.4L engines for CR-V…all moved to 1.5L turbo.

Yes if there a chance I need to spend huge money to replace the battery and or inverter I don’t want that vehicle either except as a lease

The old rx350 have a reputation to last a long time

But then again maybe keeping a car over ten years is not the things to do anymore

I test drove them recently the 450 is much quieter especially at freeeay speed and it gets 30mpg instead of 22 mpg for the 350 but that’s maybe not enough of an advantage to risk future huge battery bills

8 year 100000 warranty on battery on related

I have to read if calif has a higher limit

The 450 was if I recall priced from 55000 to 65000 without discount and before tax

The 350 was about 3k cheaper

Hmmm…the dealer price given to me was NT$3,470,000 for the 450hl. I wanted the longer version. Did not check what this price includes…I was bummed out no 350 available. ha.

Well Taiwan prices are probably over 80 percent higher than US prices

But hey if you want to see what high maintenance looks like … here you are

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJP2FD2F/

Yeah, that’s a very smooth driving car, but that’s a lot of money for something less sporty.

I had it with Hydraulic Citroen, it’s a really bad affliction! so bad I still own one just so I can.
Stored in my garage with no use.
My last work car was a Citroen C5 the last of the Hydraulic one’s made, just so I could have one pile of shit cost me a fortune in repairs.

1 Like