In Times of Personal Troubles

How does Religion & Spirituality help? Or How do you use it?
I don’t think I use it too much. I’m going through a rough patch right now. What I do is meditate more and play guitar more. From reading Janov, I try not to supress the bad feelings. I’m trying not to eat more, or drink more. I feel I can get through most things with my superior intellect, but the feelings? they just have to be experienced and hopefully, good times are right around the proverbial corner.

Those bad feelings are like hunger pangs, or pain from exercise. They don’t need to be ‘suppressed’, they just need to be contextualized. My religious paradigm contextualises them successfully as far as I’m concerned.

You’ve got to be kidding. Every time I try to contexualize religious paradigms, I end up channelling impactful deliverables to the extent that out-of-the-box functionalities are unleashed, expediting holistic whiteboard spiritual portals, revolutionizing my holistic methodologies and synthesizing proactive schemas. But that’s just me.

Maybe religion’s not the answer, OP. Maybe it’s the problem. No offense intended, but maybe you’d be better off dumping your reliance on fairytales and trying to identify concrete, realistic goals here on earth that would help make you happier, establishing workable strategies for slowly but surely working towards those goals, and strengthen your faith in yourself, rather than in some magical hocus-pocus.

McCoy sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. Anything that any of us can do?

In answer to your problem I usually pray to avoid trouble and drink to resolve it but I’m British so that probably explains it. hic

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]How does Religion & Spirituality help? Or How do you use it?
I don’t think I use it too much. I’m going through a rough patch right now. What I do is meditate more and play guitar more. From reading Janov, I try not to supress the bad feelings. I’m trying not to eat more, or drink more. I feel I can get through most things with my superior intellect, but the feelings? they just have to be experienced and hopefully, good times are right around the proverbial corner.[/quote]
Yeah, it’s good not to suppress the bad feelings. Praying/meditating can be very helpful too.

Though I’m not a Christian, I know Christians who find a lot of comfort in Christian teachings. They can get more of a sense of perspective on things - maybe what Fortigurn meant by “contextualize”. But I think the hard times can be when blind faith comes up short. Maybe if people just take the teachings as a comfortable, cosy external thing that they don’t have to work with and integrate with their life in some meaningful way, that’s not so much use. That’s what I’ve found with Buddhism, anyway.

You’ve got to be kidding. Every time I try to contexualize religious paradigms, I end up channelling impactful deliverables to the extent that out-of-the-box functionalities are unleashed, expediting holistic whiteboard spiritual portals, revolutionizing my holistic methodologies and synthesizing proactive schemas. But that’s just me.

Maybe religion’s not the answer, OP. Maybe it’s the problem. No offense intended, but maybe you’d be better off dumping your reliance on fairytales and trying to identify concrete, realistic goals here on earth that would help make you happier, establishing workable strategies for slowly but surely working towards those goals, and strengthen your faith in yourself, rather than in some magical hocus-pocus.[/quote]

So what, you’re scolding him for having some faith?
How terribly post-60’s iconoclastically edgy of you, oooooooo.
Glad to see that Dick-of-the-Month Club subscription’s working out for you.
“Magical hocus-pocus”?
“fairytales”?
Fort’s commentary was spot on.
Yours is just dunderheaded and ill-mannered.

A good laugh is always a welcome spiritual experience. Like my highschool psychology teacher said, “You’ll get through life a lot easier if you have a well developed sense of the ridiculous.”

Yes, that’s what I meant. Various studies indicate that this is one of the reasons why religious belief demonstrably contributes successfully to psychological health. It provides ‘workable strategies’, and ‘concrete, realistic goals’. the chief, thanks.

I agree. I could never be satisfied with a blind faith.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]

I agree. I could never be satisfied with a blind faith.[/quote]

Me neither.
Much prefer some Cream.

[quote=“the chief”]So what, you’re scolding him for having some faith?
How terribly post-60’s iconoclastically edgy of you, oooooooo.
Glad to see that Dick-of-the-Month Club subscription’s working out for you.
“Magical hocus-pocus”?
“fairytales”?
Fort’s commentary was spot on.
Yours is just dunderheaded and ill-mannered.[/quote]

Not scolding, just giving an honest, well-intentioned suggestion. If you think it’s wrong, if you believe he should contextualize religious paradigms that’s fine, but I happen to believe that’s a load of crap. Likewise, if you wish to suggest that he worship the Easter Bunny, feel free. That’s how this forum works. Ask a question, get a bunch of answers.

Btw, does your post qualify you for Dick-of-Month Club membership?

Sorry to hear you’re going through this.
What you’re already doing is good, imo, so stick with it.
Laughter, definitely!
Like others said, if you are religious, that will surely help you deal with difficulties.
But if you’re not, if you’re more rational and rely on intellect (as you perhaps suggested?), have you ever tried using REBT technique to rationalize and disperse bad feelings? It’s a very simple and effective self-therapy tool. You can look it up on the internet, there are many sources.
If you alraedy have experience wiht meditation, all the better, becuase it requires discipline and focus.

I didn’t talk about contextualizing religious paradigms. I talked about contextualizing personal troubles using religious paradigms. Specifically, I said that my personal religious paradigm contextualizes them in a manner which is successful as far as I’m concerned.

Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar.

See? In times of strife, look to lord Zappa for succour.

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom: “Let it be.”

But seriously, folks…I try to find some “me” time, and go out to a natural area in solitude to think about things uninterrupted by the trivialities of the world or the pesky folks who inhabit it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Btw, does your post qualify you for Dick-of-Month Club membership?[/quote]

Nice deployment of the “I Know You Are But What Am I/I’m Rubber You’re Glue, Whatever You Say Bounces Off Me And Sticks To You” rebuttal.
:roflmao:

Thanks, but it’s no big thing. It’s just one of those things that happen in the life of every crimefighter.*

I remember when my Mother died. It was years ago, I was in Taipei alone because my girlfriend (now my wife) was with her folks. After my brother called, I put the phone down and went out to buy the strongest cigarettes I could find, which were the 555 long ones. I think cigarettes will suppress your feelings, but it’s not healthy.

*That’s from Batman btw. Adam West, the real Batman.

Batman SMOKES?

Bruce Wayne, part of that billionaire playboy deal…

I used to turn to religion when I was troubled. Now, I talk to a mentor or a close friend. I find that I generally feel better with the latter method than I ever felt with the former, but I’m a talker. I think best when I have someone smart and caring who I can bounce ideas off of.

As a long term approach, I think Chris’ suggestion is a good one. I used to go hiking by myself almost every Sunday. It was my form of “church.” Out in nature, physically exerting myself. I’d go 5 or 6 miles, then stop in a shady spot, drink a sports drink and eat an apple, then light up a cigarette and just think. Helped keep me balanced.

I don’t do that enough now, but I have a family in my life full time. They help me stay on track.

John Coltrane has always worked for me.
As well as remembering to breathe.