In Tokyo coming to Taipei

Robin,
Having lived in both cities (Tokyo & Taipei) I would personally prefer Tokyo. It has a charm, a polish and overall better living conditions. In addition, I found the Japanese to be far more helpful and genial.

[quote=“adswork”]Robin,
Having lived in both cities (Tokyo & Taipei) I would personally prefer Tokyo. It has a charm, a polish and overall better living conditions. In addition, I found the Japanese to be far more helpful and genial.[/quote]

I agree with the pro-japan posts.

I lived in Japan for a year (Yokkaichi Shi) and have been to Tokyo. You really cant compare Taiwan to Tokyo on an even scale because the two cities are just so different, but…here is my take on it:

Cleanliness:
[color=green]Winner:[/color] Tokyo
[color=red]Loser: [/color]Taipei. The city smells bad…half the time like poop. people blame that on Cho Do Fu (stinky tofu) but really its the sewage system and gutters and litter on the streets that are the cause of the stench.

Looks (Buildings):
[color=red]Loser:[/color] Taipei. Buildings here have a horrible tile exterior and as such look grimey, dirty, and unkept. No one washes them off. Electrical wires hang haphazardly from borken signs, jutting out from holes in walls, or dangling from window to window. There are cages on just about every window you see and glass on the windows is always filthy too. There is no real architecural plan to the city. Everything is just slapped together and buildings all look the same…dreary rectangles with water towers. Shops and store fronts all have metal garage doors that close over them when closed. Really gives it that ghetto inner city feel.

Looks (Nature):
[color=green]Winner: [/color]Taipei - the city is surrounded by mountains, there are wuite a few parks, hiking trails, and you are a stones throw away from Yangmingshan Mountain, Beitou, Oulai, and other nature like places. I live in the Muzha area of Taipei and I like the scenery.
[color=red]Loser:[/color] Tokyo

Night Life:
[color=red]Loser: [/color]Taipei. Bars or KTV, that si about all you have for options, unless you like movies.

Apartments:
[color=green]Winner:[/color] Taipei. Only for one reason, size. Apartments here can be pretty big at an afordable price. It is hit or miss with age of the building and cleanliness. Just shop around and try to get into something newer.
[color=red]Loser: [/color]Tokyo

Food:
[color=red]Loser; [/color]Taipei. There is a variety of food here for great prices…but its hard to get decent western food at low prices when you want it. I found the selection in Tokyo to be better, although a lot more expensive. I picked Tokyo as the winner because of the selection of food.

Cost of living:
[color=green]Winner: [/color]Taipei. You can live pretty cheap here, but you will need to jettison the majority of your western comforts, including western food.
[color=red]Loser: [/color]Tokyo

Women/Girls:
[color=green]Winner:[/color] Taipei and Tokyo
It really depends on your taste. I found girls in Tokyo more approachable. Taipei they tend to be shy away from you unless you go to a bar. Most of the time you will meet women through work, friends, online (it is used a lot here to hook up, even for the locals), or at bars.
Taipei girls/women tend to be less wild than Tokyo women/girls. As far as looks go…it comes so close to being a tie. But, I married a Taiwanese so I have to say Taiwanese women are more attractive in general. But again, it all depends on your taste. I had some very grogeous apanese girlfriends before. One thing is for sure. Quite a few of Taiwanese women/girls are not skilled in homemaking. Japanese women win that category hands down.

Let me phraze it this way.
I work with Japanese and Taiwanese colleagues.
the Japanese would not like to go back to Japan (tokyo certainly not)
the Taiwanese neither …
Ask yourself what to expect in savings / earnings. All the rest is to discover.

[quote=“ceevee369”]Let me phraze it this way.
I work with Japanese and Taiwanese colleagues.
the Japanese would not like to go back to Japan (Tokyo certainly not)
the Taiwanese neither …
Ask yourself what to expect in savings / earnings. All the rest is to discover.[/quote]

So do I. Most of me colleagues would love to get sent back home to Japan. (Unless they have a gf here and a wife back home)