Income Tax Calculator for Taiwan

You’re really awesome @tando!
That’s crazy that this information is so hidden

Bumping since it’s tax season. The calculator has been improved since its first version:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_UNRjnQXEdcUYLkw-Hqo1K22RE1QAjIFelvtp0nD0mY/

3 Likes

Hey there, thanks for making this! I’m trying to see the “guidance notes” by hovering over the tan-colored cells, but nothing comes up for me. Is there another way that I can see those notes?

A quick question: For a single person, non-married, the calculator shows a total deduction of 600k (adding 120k standard deduction + 200k deduction for salaries / wages + 88k personal exemption + 192k for the basic living expenses difference).

However, from what I understand from the linked article about Basic Living Expense Difference, the 192k should not be added to the total - so the total deduction should only be 408k. Or am I missing something?

1 Like

The total should indeed be 408k. For 2018, 2019, and 2020, anyway - it was a bit lower in 2017 and I think it should be higher for 2021 because of changes made to some of the deductions, but I haven’t bothered to check the details yet.

From what I understand, the basic living expense difference isn’t a deduction per se but rather a kind of “correction” that excludes some additional income in certain cases like larger families. I don’t think it applies to you (or me).

Some more details here:

The total basic living expense shall be calculated in accordance with the expenses of basic living for each person announced by the Ministry of Finance multiplied by the number of taxpayer, spouse, and dependants. If the amount of basic living expense is higher than the sum of personal exemption, standard deduction (or itemised deduction), and special deductions (not including deduction for salaries or wages), the difference can be used as an additional deduction from the gross consolidated income.

For tax year 2021, the basic living expenses was TWD 192,000 per person.

4 Likes

I’ve made a small improvement: Added the Gold Card Exemption checkbox (wages over $3M gets a 50% deduction) :

Screen Recording 2022-05-26 at 05.29.19 PM

3 Likes

Hi @marcopoloTW, or anyone else who can help.

What is “Special deduction for salary/wages”?

What is “Special deduction for savings & investments”?

What is “Special deduction for tuition” - I’m guessing only if you pay tuition?

Also, are we meant to change this column ourselves?

BTW, not sure if anyone has tried it, but the government has their own very easy to use calculator for foreigners.

Any reason not to use the government one? I’m guessing there is since @marcopoloTW’s calculator exists.

1 Like

If you have local inlaws you may apply for more tax rebates. also children, elderly parents.

The salary one is the 120k deduction( check the tax year for exact amount) for every wage earner.

The tuition one is 25k I think. Only if someone is at uni if I remember correctly. Yes, you have to pay tuition to get a deduction for tuition.

1 Like

Not just local

You’ve for sure had this before. It’s NT$200k (assuming the person earned more than that). It says NT$207k in the spreadsheet and the link below, so I’m guessing it’s been increased for 2022.

https://www.ntbt.gov.tw/English/singlehtml/71b35f4132414a35a91daf5aeebbb801?cntId=591e572112174790998dca87be229d65

I think the others you asked about are explained here:

https://www.ntbt.gov.tw/English/multiplehtml/9ab03ab159f94181abab5d1ba60d89c4

And yeah, you don’t get any deductions for things you didn’t pay for lol.

Surely you’re not trying to prepare your taxes for 2022 already? :sweat_smile:

That’s the standard deduction of NT$120k/240k for single/married.

1 Like

I’m trying to integrate @marcopoloTW’s calculator into my own spreadsheet that tracks all my revenue streams so I can create an always updating estimate of what I’ll pay in taxes next cycle.

However, I’m not sure that @marcopoloTW’s calculator is accurate right now. I think someone may have changed the figures in this column:

Because some of these figures have been changed to a dash, it seems that the calculator is not giving you any of these deductions even if you select “1” for example.

Is there any difference between bonus/salary taxation?

AFAIK, for tax purposes your monthly salary and your bonuses are treated the same. It’s all salary.

I don’t have a recent version of it, but on an older version I have that column contains actual values. I’m not sure those should have been replaced with hyphens.

tax2

I don’t think that should be too hard, at least for local income. I guess you’d just want to calculate your total exemption and deductions for the year (including your child and wife) then subtract that from your cumulative income.

I thought there wasn’t, but I could be wrong. Nobody gives me any bonuses, so I’ve never looked into it. :roll_eyes:

Yep, the older locked versions on the spreadsheet also have values in those areas.

So unless they have changed I’m going to just use those I think.

Btw, @Andrew do you know if this spreadsheet works if I’m filing together with my partner who doesn’t work?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I think the only things that would change are the married standard deduction rather than single and the number of dependents?

1 Like

Neither the government calculator or @marcopoloTW’s calculator include the ability to add deductions for insurance payments. Up to 24,000 deduction for each person. Perfect for us because we spend almost exactly 24,000 per person on insurance.

1. Personal insurance premiums: Premiums paid for life insurance, labor insurance, employment insurance, national pension and insurance for military personnel, public functionaries and teachers, by the taxpayer, his/her spouse, and their lineal dependents are deductible. However, the deductions, excluding those for national health insurance, shall not exceed NT$24,000 for each person per year; premiums paid for national health insurance are fully deductible.