Increase in Motorcycle Deaths

[quote=“Mordeth”]Canada vs Taiwan: daily traffic fatalities
[Canada vs Taiwan: daily traffic fatalities

Australia has more accidents than Taiwan
[Australia has more accidents than Taiwan

I did the math once (well myself and and lilipus)…if you look at Taiwan’s fatality statistics. You have roughly a one in a hundred chance of being killed on a bike…in a 50 year period. Sounds like good odds to me.[/quote]Thanks for putting up the links Mordeth! Looks like I can retire soon… :wink:

More statistics will be interesting but let’s remember that statistics don’t tell the whole story.

I remember reading that quite a high proportion (not a majority, but surprisingly high nonetheless) of motorbike accidents do not involve any other vehicles. A lot of inexperienced riders get high-powered bikes, try to ride like Rossi and end up losing it in a corner and wrapping themselves round a tree or something. IIRC this info came from the USA but I would say it applies to other places too to some extent.

My dad came across a rider who’d dropped her bike a couple of months ago. He helped her get the bike up – nice sport bike – and she muttered some thanks and something about “diesel on the road”. After she rode off, Dad had a good look. No diesel to be seen.

So whether here or elsewhere, rider decisions play a huge part in risk.

But more statistics will still be useful and maybe we can try to take the above factors into account and make educated guesses as to the answer to KR’s question.